• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Girl's Gone Green

Glad they are both ok! How is she suppose to appreciate and want to take care of an old goofy car like this if she doesn't drive it, enjoy it and learn to love it! Love that you built this car for her, hope you are able to fix it, if not, hopefully she enjoyed the time she had with it! Looks like she hit hard, but it did what it was designed to!

Sorry for your loss. Glad your daughter is OK.

Insurers typically submit the vehicle's VIN, mileage, options and condition to companies like CCC to get a value. CCC looks at the guide books and comparable vehicles (model, age, mileage) to come up with a number.

Then they submit this value, the approximate repair amount and the vehicle info to companies like Co-Part to get a salvage value. (This is not a factor if they take the car.)

So, retail value, less deduct is your settlement. Or, if you retain the salvage, retail, less salvage (which the insurer would have recovered at auction), less deduct is your settlement.

If you feel the offer is low. Submitting your own comparables (similar age, mileage, condition) from Craigslist, etc, and confirming the figures in the current NADA / Kelly may help. They are "buying" the car from you. The adjuster wants to close files, within reason.

Good luck.

I'm sorry to see the car got wrecked! I'm glad everyone was alright, though.

As long as the strut tower hasn't been pushed back, that is easily fixable if you're confident with cutting and welding body parts. As much uneven bumper heights scare the hell out of me, the fact that the impact cleared the frame rails makes the car much more easily fixable. If you want to fix the car and need advice, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Still waiting on the insurance company to come to the house for the appraisal. If the buyback prics is good enough I'm most likely taking that option. I have a local buyer who has a donor shell for sheet metal.

Everything worked on this car - new A/C system, new trans fluid/filter/pan gasket, never leaked a drop.

Actually got a reasonable first offer from State Farm for the green machine of $2500. Just submitted a list of comps both sold on E-Bay and unsold on craigslist. Only used cars in comparable condition with similar features & mileage. Buy back price is fair, so I'm going to take that route & sell it here locally to a buyer already lined up.

The total lost adjuster told me in all her time working in total loss she has never had a 1991 vehicle come across in excellent condition.

Settled with State Farm at $3109.00 after salvage of $300 for owner retain.
They only accepted comparable vehicle submissions from credible dealers - not craigslist or E-Bay completed auctions. Found 2 90-92 240 sedans at a dealer in Austin with an advertised price of $3999.
Girl is not sure what she is going to move to next. We haven't decided.

She wants to learn how to drive stick & I think I'm ready to move on to something other than a Volvo.

Looking for an E21 BMW, possibly an E30 if it doesn't need too much work or something out of the ordinary.

Been eyeing this one for a week now :

00B0B_6QMI8WpL4g8_600x450.jpg

Not sure if this one is still for sale, it's been listed for almost a month now

00D0D_jTRg7NMZ2aY_600x450.jpg

Settled with State Farm at $3109.00 after salvage of $300 for owner retain.
They only accepted comparable vehicle submissions from credible dealers - not craigslist or E-Bay completed auctions. Found 2 90-92 240 sedans at a dealer in Austin with an advertised price of $3999.
Girl is not sure what she is going to move to next. We haven't decided.

Must have been Vol-Tech They are mighty proud of their turds...

Such a shame! Glad she is ok.. It seems most here are missing the point that we like to put our kids in something safe, so they don't get hurt when they get into an accident. Cars can be rebuilt, even from the worst scenario, like the hotrodder show of the guy rebuilding all those old totaled Dodges. Graveyard carz. Kids however are quite a bit more expensive to rebuild. I tend to care much more about my kids than some lump of metal, no matter how clean. So much so, i put my son in a 1991 16 v wagon, and i knew i would get it back in a demolished state. Sure enough-2 years later i have a parts car. But it saved his life and thats all that matters to me. John V -you put your kids in Chitboxes and expect them to fare well when they get into an accident? Not me brother, NOOOOT TOOODAYYYY.

I got to see this car in person on my way to VCOA meet in columbus, it was very clean. I loled about the brakes lights.. Typical for Volvo and the model. Btdt with a few locals.

So Kyle the "lizard king" is practicing his talents at body work on this ? Interesting, You gonna lift it now? ;) Good luck.

Finally located a replacement and officially moved over to the dark side. 1996 Civic DX hatchback, bone stock aside from coilovers and Integra mesh wheels. 120k miles, every service record since new.
No real plans other than addressing the cosmetics and installing a better stereo with Bluetooth.

ptN6x22.jpg

Last edited:
I'd roll that car in a heartbeat, but they're stolen waaaaay too frequently in Northern California. They're light, fun, cheap, reliable, and decent looking. Good choice! I would expect it to be gone every time I drove out to my dad's place in Modesto and left it parked on the street overnight.

Even if vehicle theft is not as rampant in your neck of the woods, it's not a bad idea to invest in some basic theft protection like a Club or kill switch. Hondas of that era are notorious for having a limited number of key configurations, and ignition switches that wear over time, allowing similar keys to work in the wrong switch. Therefore, all a thief needs to do is collect a pocketful of old Honda keys and try them out on your door until one of them works, and your car is gone.

Still stings to see the wrecked 244. It was a really cool car, but this one is honestly probably a better option for your daughter.

It's on my list of things to add. Only downside is it has a salvage title from a previous theft while it spent time in California with the second owner. Second owner has had it since 50k miles. Only damage from the theft was the ignition (repaired by previous owner) and a fist sized dent in the passenger side rear QP which should be able to be removed through paintless dent removal.

A/C in this car is the coldest I've ever had - new compressor & condenser less than 2 years old.

Kyote bought it off me minus the amp/head unit and speakers. Wheels were sold to fund the replacement vehicle. I don't think he has a build thread for it, but posts some updates on FB.
Green is in the middle of being repaired, just went through a minor frame pull last week. Will be a resto/repair to the early front end with quad squares.

Kyote bought it off me minus the amp/head unit and speakers. Wheels were sold to fund the replacement vehicle. I don't think he has a build thread for it, but posts some updates on FB.
Green is in the middle of being repaired, just went through a minor frame pull last week. Will be a resto/repair to the early front end with quad squares.

Great to hear!

Back