• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 242 turbo (de frikandel)

nick740

Hello

My name is Nicky and I live in the Netherlands

My englisch is not verry well but I'll give it a try!

I'm watching this forum for over a year now. Never posted anything about myself.
it's a long storry to tell when I bought my first 242 but in the last 6 weeks I've made my car turbocharged. I will tell you the holl storry about my 242 and show a lot of pics but it will take me a holl day to right it down so I first maded a short film. There is still a lot to do but
it's running so I can drive in the first place.

Its a 242 With:
B230FK
T3 turbo
race intercooler
3 inch sitepipe
A cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BleGhcElDY4

Looks good Nicky! When will you be posting the pictures? More and more people from the Netherlands with nice cars keep popping up on this forum, nice :-P

thanks thanks

yes there is a lot of things I need to do. the gap between the intercooler and the radiator will be closed. I also wan't to fit a new radiator in it from a 940 withe e-van.

There are a view people who are tunning there volvo in the netherlands but it is stil unique. seen a tuned volvo is so unigue as seen a farrari haha

Looks like you cleaned up the enginebay since Nurburgring.
That's more like it!
Hope the exhaust is better attached than your last one was :-P

And the exhaust as well :omg:

Nice work, did any more work to it since you visited me?

edit:

I still have some pics from the EU 4.0 meet at the Nordschleife and the trip to it when you were comparing the acceleration with Fredrik's V90 :-P

Last edited:
hello
yes my last exhaust is still on the nurburgring haha;) I not only cleaned. I had sprayed it as well

no more last news since I visited you, I past my exams so this week I will start again.

Hahah that was fun on the german highway. we really put the gas on it. Send them to me so I can show them to my dad haha

How it all begain

It started with this my 740 b230ft
018hj.jpg

019jv.jpg

Than after a couple of months I desidet to buy the car from the dad of a friend.
the 242 wasn't even running at that time.
006zm.jpg

It had not run in 2 years. But with some brakecleaner he started at ones.
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/3978/008z.jpg

together
035eg.jpg

038qp.jpg

Than I fixt my lpg instalation and some other things as the lights.
051hp.jpg

056um.jpg

some pics in the snow we had are own snowrally haha!
081l.jpg

but than I got an accident.
160ml.jpg

161fqx.jpg

It was really sucks I had a lot of plans with the car.

Now the plans were turning around. It was a good idea to built the old 740 turbo engine into my 242.
288.jpg

So begain to swap the engine in to my 242
426s.jpg

440h.jpg

putting some new rimps on it and put a spoiler on the back
457x.jpg

484.jpg

A couple of months ago my old 740 b230ft I build in to my 242 was broken. It run but not good. also my turbo was broken. the engine leaked and so the engine rund for a couple of days with almost no oil. than I desidet to rebuilt my 242 and now do it the right way. so I bought a b230FK and a garrett T3 and also a Race intercooler.

the old engine out
sdc10445j.jpg

cleaning
sdc10453.jpg

sdc10470.jpg

engine
521k.jpg

painting
518u.jpg

522c.jpg

put the engine in
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9738/569j.jpg

The story for so far.
will be continued

Nice work ! like I said before I have a weak spot for white 242's haha

Did you also fully rebuilt the b230fk you put in there ? (hone the cilinders, fresh pistonrings etc etc)

hello I have a day off. So I thougt why don't post something on turbobricks!

were did I end, or were shal I start again.

Hide the wiring
sdc10501pp.jpg

I already put the wiring at is original place, when I decided to hide it I had tot the left site all over again
sdc10502y.jpg

After that I had to make some adjustments for the engine.
tap some screw thread for the turbo retour hose
sdc10503e.jpg

Put the bolt in there
sdc10504.jpg

The old filter house was in the way so I toke the old heat exchanger for the coolant from a 940 Screwed the bolt out made it smaller on a round reducer so it fits on my oil cooler
sdc10542fl.jpg

after a couple of hours hard work I wanted to see how the clean enginebay looks with engine
sdc10506u.jpg

Put the flwywheel back on with a new bearing
548p.jpg

the bearing for the clutch was broken, it was stuck. Never heard enything about it
but I had fixt it with a new one and cleaned it.
526x.jpg

547w.jpg

Also bought a new clutch from a 240 diesel
first a drived the old b230ft with the old clutch but it was not strong inough and spint while putting gas on it.
img0789ys.jpg

Putting the engine in with the gearbox.
569u.jpg

Engine wiring system from a 240(1993) LH 2.4.
577e.jpg

578t.jpg

Second hand garrett T3.
sdc10494k.jpg

It was a lot of work to make it fix. Had to drill four hols in place of the stud bolts. Than drill the four old stud bolts out of the manifold. and put new ones in.
img0781bp.jpg

Putting the head back on with the A-cam from my old b21
580a.jpg

Fit the turbo. one bolt of the manifold was a little bit crooked but when i fix it I was verry verry verry happy. Finally all the pieces were comming togother
582v.jpg

Also I needed the old distributor house from the b21
590z.jpg

I placed the repainted front back on the car. Painted it myself not bad say it myself.
also put back all that other stuf in the engine bay as the wiring, coolant system, etc.
591e.jpg

img0859n.jpg

Put the race intercooler in it and fix all the new hoses and tubes. also a new open airfilter from K&N. Got a 3inch air flow mass meter from a 960 but not fixit yet.
sdc10449e.jpg

606ew.jpg

Than I needed a 3inch exhaust my dad and I made!
img0860k.jpg

img0866u.jpg

img0861h.jpg

I put the Varta in the back so I got more space in front of the car. I put the screenwasher in the back to
img0780.jpg

And after 4 weeks of hard work it became this! I'm really proud at myself.
img0865yp.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BleGhcElDY4

And some more pics of the in and outsite of my car
http://img692.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2039h.jpg

There are a lot of things I want to do so first thing Im going to do is make a To do list'

Last edited:
Back