• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DET17's "Project cheap thrills" - '92 944T

I remember the first time I added an Access Port and tune to one of my Subie WRX's. I'm not sure what I expected -- I'd read the literature, tests, users comments -- all glowing reports of free power/torque with absolutely no downside in drivability. But there aren't words to describe the audible giggle that occurred the first time I laid into it hard -- which was about 30 seconds after the tune install. And then - I couldn't stop. I had a good month's worth of the worst fuel mileage ever.....I had become addicted to increased boost.

ad?dic?tion   [uh-dik-shuhn]
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics or boost, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

I'm reminded of the Robert Palmer song from back in 1988, "Simply Irresistible"

She's a craze you'd endorse, she's a powerful force
You're obliged to conform when there's no other course
She used to look good to me, but now I find her

Simply irresistible
Simply irresistible

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went
Simply irresistible she's all mine, there's no other way to go
She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went
Simply irresistible she's all mine, there's no other way to go

Last edited:
The Hallman MBC ought to be the second thing every TBer buys....and a wideband to watch AFR's the first! 10+ PSI today on the drive to work, MORE fun. I have begun wondering what the stock hydraulic motor mounts will withstand :roll: The AW71 hopefully will minimize the shock loads in those mounts and keep them intact for a while.

TLAO chips & Ford Browntops are doing their respective things....AFR's still showing 10.0 (pegged) at WOT and boost. I'm going to hold at 12~13 PSI with my stock Volvo IC, but I also need to procure a BOV for the inevitable "whoops" moment, so I don't blow the endtanks off the damn thing.

Got my Kenwood head unit installed, and the dash/driver pedal area covers & knee bolster all reinstalled, hell it looks like a working vehicle from the inside ;-) My next area of focus will be getting the beast ready for some paint to a couple small damage areas (only a flesh wound!), and getting my 940 spoiler & trunklid painted to match the car. My goal is to have the paintwork completed, and hopefully my 17" Propus BBS wheels and Nitto rubber installed before the SE gathering. I guess I need to find out when the fall SE meet is happening........

Last edited:
Pretty easy to fabricate some engine-movement-limiters so the motor/tranny mounts aren't asked to do more than they should. I prefer those made of tie-down strap material. Softly limits the movement without transmitting any vibration. Just have to be thoughtful about where you place them. And of course one on each side - deceleration can move it just as much the other way.

I've run 15PSI on my 88 745 with a 12b turbo and old-style intercooler. 15 PSI on my 92 with a 15G, Mike's chips and the newer style intercooler.

Start cranking that boost until the AFRs come into a reasonable level.

10afrs? Yikes that's rich!

Indeed, I'd rather see around 11.5 AFRs , so I'm told, under WOT conditions. Cruising she seems about right, under vacuum conditions it is bouncing between 14.2 and 15. Part throttle or "tip in" as the old carb guys called it, around 12~13, but it certainly goes rich under FULL throttle (apparently as designed by TLAO).

Got to research and find a BOV to keep my factory IC together. Anthony Hyde says his research showed they are decent up to around 12 psi, even for some extended duration, but above that they heat soak and the effectiveness falls off the table.

First tank of gas only netted 18 MPG, and this one won't be any better :lol:

Pretty easy to fabricate some engine-movement-limiters so the motor/tranny mounts aren't asked to do more than they should. I prefer those made of tie-down strap material. Softly limits the movement without transmitting any vibration. Just have to be thoughtful about where you place them. And of course one on each side - deceleration can move it just as much the other way.

Good suggestion, "ratchet strap" nylon webbing. Will investigate and see how/where to mount. I've already got a set of the early 7 series "manual biscuit mount" motor mounts, the type RSI makes the poly mounts for.....was planning to wait for the Getrag conversion in a year, unless I break these hydraulic mounts first :-P

Funny thing along the way....bought a Cherry Turbo upper brace, not yet installed. When it arrived, I notice a bend in it, from beneath, right at the location of the spool. Checked with the seller, and he confirmed he broke a throttle spool or two when he was running a large turbo and 18 PSI. I believe I know where his engine movement limiter was! :rofl:

Well - install it and put a piece of high density foam on the 'bend'. :lol: 'Course, there's still deceleration... Don't forget about your torque arm mount in the back --- as you are able to put down more and more torque - other stuff starts breaking.

Well - install it and put a piece of high density foam on the 'bend'. :lol: 'Course, there's still deceleration... Don't forget about your torque arm mount in the back --- as you are able to put down more and more torque - other stuff starts breaking.

Got it handled.....I have waiting for my recovery from all this work....a Kaplhenke 7/9 rear subframe, and the SuperPro poly mounts for it. That should get the 1041 axle under control during accel/decel. Since I'm running the AW71, there won't be big shock loads to worry about. I'm too old to be doing neutral drops, I'll leave that to the TB kiddies. :wtf:

Beware once you set it to higher boost. My car pings like crazy on boost transition when it's warm and dry out, even with browntops on.

Beware once you set it to higher boost. My car pings like crazy on boost transition when it's warm and dry out, even with browntops on.

Once it pings do you just stay on the throttle? :oops:

That boost is about as addicting as anything else. The smiles are endless.

Agreed on getting the tune better, that is too much fuel under full throttle.

Sean

Once it pings do you just stay on the throttle? :oops:

That boost is about as addicting as anything else. The smiles are endless.

Agreed on getting the tune better, that is too much fuel under full throttle.

Sean

No, I back the heck off if I see it touch 13 on anything over 2-3 pounds. It has even pinged after the cbv vented on decel :wtf: Anyhow, the enrichment in my car at WOT is ridiculous, as in <10:1. My tune is absolutely terrible.

So yeah, Mr DET. Make sure you get a chip with a good tune on it, then if possible, ask to get it modified according to your needs.

No, I back the heck off if I see it touch 13 on anything over 2-3 pounds. It has even pinged after the cbv vented on decel :wtf: Anyhow, the enrichment in my car at WOT is ridiculous, as in <10:1. My tune is absolutely terrible.

Well I've had zero pinging since the break-in has begun. I shot an email to Mike (TLAO) regarding the rich WOT operations....no answer yet. Heading out into the garage and turn another rev on the MBC....see if we can hit 12 PSI this morning :oogle:

Yes, considering another chip for the fuel ECU as a comparison. I've got what is supposed to be Fred's fuel chip in a 563 ECU (oldie but goodie), and I might have to install this weekend just to see if the WOT AFR's change with that one.

Well I've had zero pinging since the break-in has begun. I shot an email to Mike (TLAO) regarding the rich WOT operations....no answer yet. Heading out into the garage and turn another rev on the MBC....see if we can hit 12 PSI this morning :oogle:

Yes, considering another chip for the fuel ECU as a comparison. I've got what is supposed to be Fred's fuel chip in a 563 ECU (oldie but goodie), and I might have to install this weekend just to see if the WOT AFR's change with that one.

It seems like my boost issue has been more or less mended. Turned the boost controller down 1-2 psi. Less boost spike, and more importantly, my AFRs on tip-in don't go leaner than 12.5. Still not ideal, but I will take it.

Seems like very fast spool will overwhelm LH, as it isn't designed to react to a 0-17 psi spike in half a second situation (which is my case; nothing until 2200RPM, then boom, full boost), which is understandable.

Do report back on the 12 psi pull!

Sorry to hijack your thread :-P

Last edited:
Back