• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 245 Stock Steering Wheel to Momo

I don't have a step by step. However, I put a 242GT wheel in my 93 wagon. You will have to give up the air bag. After you decide to do that then you can do what I did.
Parts needed for what I did was: Pre airbag horn contact and turn signal/wiper mounting bracket. 78 to 89 should fit. Your steering wheel replacement which was a Volvo wheel for me that has the hub integrated. You would need the momo 240 hub and steering wheel.

I removed the battery. Remove upper and lower steering column plastic covers. Remove air bag with T40 torx if I recall correctly. Then set the clockspring for removal and take it out. Now you can remove the steering wheel. Unscrew and set aside the wiper and turn signal switches. No need to disconnect. You will need to disconnect the ground wire for the horn. Now unscrew the fasteners for the horn contact bracket and slide it up and off the column. Refer to a Bentley or Haynes for clockspring removal without ruining it. Maybe someone shows it on youtube. You can sell it if it isn't ruined.

Assembly is the reverse. lol. Basically it is however now you install the older horn contact turn signal bracket and install the ground wire and mount up the switches to the older bracket. Install the hub and steering wheel. Don't forget the horn contact wire. Install plastic upper and lower covers.

This will give you an SRS light on in your cluster. You can either remove the bulb or the computer and backup power supply. I write this with a disclaimer because an air bag is dangerous and should be handled by trained or educated people. So I am not responsible for any mishaps or events that may occur. Hopefully none will and you can enjoy your new momo steering wheel. Hope that helps. I will check back a bit later if you have a question.

Last edited:
27mm or 1-1/16" deep socket to remove the nut on the steering column that holds the wheel on. If you're using a breaker bar, roll down the drivers side front window so you don't accidentally smash the glass. I never did that, but I did bump it once or twice. ;-)

I have a momo hub & wheel on my '92 240. Grabbed a horn contact assembly from an '88 240 at the junkyard and it was a direct fit into my '92.

Also, even if you remove the computer and battery (which should be done anyway, like before removing the airbag assembly from the old wheel, so remove the driver's seat as well), the SRS light will be lit up.

When I went to a 1984 240GL steering wheel from the airbag wheel in the '92, my steps were:

1) disconnect negative terminal
2) remove driver's seat and set aside (I actually just removed it, then set it on the rear driver's floorboard)
3) disconnect backup battery, then ECU
4) remove center console side panel and pull SRS harness
5) remove column trim pieces
6) remove airbag from wheel
7) remove wheel (clockspring can actually be left in place, I discovered)
8) remove ground wire for horn from column
9) remove stalks
10) remove 1990-93 turn signal bracket/clockspring assembly
11) pull cluster and remove SRS bulb (or clip wire that goes from the SRS harness into the round terminal plug), reinstall cluster
12) install pre-1990 slip ring assembly, connecting both wires removed from clockspring and column
13) reinstall stalks to slip ring assembly
14) mount wheel, or, in your case, the Momo 9010 hub, then the Momo wheel
15) reinstall column trim and console side panel
16) reinstall seat
17) pull all fuses and use a wire brush to clean the contacts, reinstall fuses
18) reconnect battery.

What the '92 looked like after swapping wheels. I also moved the radio down below and added gauges. You can see the airbag wheel in the older 245 in front of the '92.

See that picture? Instantly that 240 becomes a GLT. Adding a good steering wheel transports time :lol: and makes the car much nicer to drive than what Volvo gave us with the air bag wheel.

See that picture? Instantly that 240 becomes a GLT. Adding a good steering wheel transports time :lol: and makes the car much nicer to drive than what Volvo gave us with the air bag wheel.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd need an ABS compatible 200 km/h speedo and a VX3 cam, to turn that car into a GLT. At least, externally, it would've passed muster, except for bumper trim. Being a 1992 model, it did have the GLT/Turbo mouldings.

Very timely thread as I just picked up a nice R-Sport wheel from impolvo to install on my 90 245 (currently w/airbag wheel). Does anyone have a pic of what the pre-airbag wheel slip ring looks like. Fortunately it looks like there is an 87 in the local yard that I can grab it from, but I'm not entirely sure what it looks like.

It's the mount that the wiper and turn signal stalks mount to. Gray metal piece with two screws that hold it onto the column. There's a black wire that plugs in from the back onto the slip ring itself. Once you have the wheel and the column trim off, it'll be plainly visible.

On youtube there is probably a video of someone changing the wiper switch or turn signal switch. The bracket they are screwed to is what you are swapping out to fit the older styler steering wheels.

Thanks for all the tips guys. New wheel really complements the interior, and it feels great!

Ucgqb9R.jpg

Looks good. Now you need a leather shift boot, a tach/small clock combo, then maybe to move your radio below and add some gauges above the vents.

So, this, but with cloth interior, two-tone dash, and your manual windows.

-J

Attachments

• 2F3E0D88-D48E-4F8A-960E-3FDBB85561E3.jpeg
    2F3E0D88-D48E-4F8A-960E-3FDBB85561E3.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Back