• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What's the TB way to support the engine while dropping the K member to pull the pan?

mikezohsix

Wondering how to support the motor without the special Volvo tool, when dropping the K member out so I can get the pan off a 240.

I can easily make a bridge out of 4x4, resting on the fenders, but not sure if that would bend them or not. The strut towers are pretty far back so won't be able to lift of the front lift ring on the motor.

Last edited:
Harbor Freight engine hanger. Used it a few times on the R when doing trans and motor mounts, worked great on the 740 for doing the oil pan, etc.

Man, you look like a sibling so much its scary. Lol

Here, we use a simple device known as a tree. Also good for body work. No lie.

Last edited:
I'll ask it a different way...
If I use a 4x4 across the engine bay resting on the top of the fender, and put something to spread the load a little, and pad it with some carpet under it, will it deform the fenders?

I'm really concerned about doing this simple job and ending up damaging the car.

Maybe I'll just go buy the thing from HF and stop worrying...

FWIW I have/use the OE Volvo Screw Type/Variable Angle Engine Puller Hoist Tool, and an I beam with a chain hoist on L to R roller trolley,to pull Volvo engines or any other engines.

being 3-5 inches thinner because a B21-B230 engine is laying on you isn't much fun.

At least use a "cherry picker" hoist

Harbor Freight engine hanger. Used it a few times on the R when doing trans and motor mounts, worked great on the 740 for doing the oil pan, etc.

Here is the link. Seriously, just buy this. Having the right tool makes all the difference in the world.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Also yes, if you homebrew do not support it on the fenders, you will dent them. Support it inside the engine bay where the fenders screw on. I did a homebrew support the first time and it sucked, and it was a not-insignificant amount of time I wasted building it.

This was my homebrew:

trans_53.jpg

This is what I use now, and I've used it several times on multiple cars:

122_333.jpg

No comparison.

Last edited:
Back