• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Heads up on Mann filter

The relocation arm is the limiting factor on my 88 765. The FL-1A filter is 5.25 inches long. There is a shorter Motorcraft filter that fits Ford 302 and Dodge that is a better fit. These Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator on an earlier design.

Hmmmm? Whats the part number cause I'm not sure they do. I dont see one on the shelves anyway. Wix does though.
I posted 4 different filter lengths. 2 will work in relocation arm. 51311 or the 51085.

Hmmmm? Whats the part number cause I'm not sure they do. I dont see one on the shelves anyway. Wix does though.
I posted 4 different filter lengths. 2 will work in relocation arm. 51311 or the 51085.

The shorter Motorcraft filter is FL -300

Length: 4.04"
O.D.: 3.78"
Thread: 2/4-16

Fits AMC, Ford, and Jeep.

I had a Mann W917 fail last week. Fortunately I check under the hood all the time. It’s on a 700T remote mount which has been on the car for 70,000+ miles. It took too much turning to get it to seal.

The filter would leak intermittently and when tightened slightly started a constant drip.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Last edited:
On my 95 940 turbo race wagoon with the oil to water oil cooler setup it has some tiny little filter on it when I got it and I went to put the regular shorty one on and I couldn't get it past the water line for the oil cooler until I loosened the nut and the end and moved the metal water pipe a wee bit over, then it fit! I'd get the napa gold filters at napa if I'm at napa.

The only fail I've had with a Mann filter was a no flow situation. That is the fail mode I've had with several brands of filters. I've had Fram, Purolator, and Mann all fail by not passing any oil through them.

There's a shorter Motorcraft filter (not sure of the stock number), but maybe it's still longer than OE. There's also a shorter filter that fits 302 Ford, Older Chrysler V8s and AMC. Thinking it's length is 4.25 inch. OD, check valve rating, and thread size is the same as FL-1A.

The Mobile 1 and Motorcraft filters use an older Purolator design.

I'm glad someone made a thread about this. I've always used Napa Gold filters, but the last few oil changes I've noticed that the threading tends to have some nasty jaggedness and there is always metal shavings on the threads. The only way to be sure to get rid of them is to pre-charge the filter with blood from your finger while running it around the threads a few times.

There are 3$ Mahle filters at Roch Auto. They also carry the Beck Arnley reboxed mann filter for only 5$ each. I bought three of the Mahle ones to try on the mom mobile. Less than ten dollars for three filters and the mahle stuff I've used all worked well. Like fuel filters and air filters.

There are 3$ Mahle filters at Roch Auto. They also carry the Beck Arnley reboxed mann filter for only 5$ each. I bought three of the Mahle ones to try on the mom mobile. Less than ten dollars for three filters and the mahle stuff I've used all worked well. Like fuel filters and air filters.

^^ That's good info. Nice of your mom to be the guinea pig :-P

She has no choice. It's my car. lol. When she drives it. She barely goes more than about ten miles a week. Now with the pandemic. We don't let her go anywhere.

Are Fram Ultra filters as good as the bitog crowd claims?
I'm not sure about the actual quality, but I did see a video of one being cut open, and the high end Fram filters at least look like real oil filters inside instead of props made of cardboard, glue, and staples.

Last edited:
It's amazing how a post morphs, makes twists and turns, sometimes getting out into the ozone.

Just to recap as I'm the original poster, white Mann W917 is the filter that is acceptable (my opinion) with a proper anti-drainback valve. A recently purchased black Mann obtained from AutoZone was not acceptable.

Napa gold for the shorty filter for the piston oil squirted stock motored cars ya know like 940 turbos! Napa 1311. I used to get stuff at autozone, but that was a forest grove lifetime ago. None around these here parts. Ordering sheet online just makes the amazon robots smarter and faster. I don't need that..

Napa gold for the shorty filter for the piston oil squirted stock motored cars ya know like 940 turbos! Napa 1311. I used to get stuff at autozone, but that was a forest grove lifetime ago. None around these here parts. Ordering sheet online just makes the amazon robots smarter and faster. I don't need that..

Looks like I might be ditching my pr- select next time, I got like 12k left before I change it tho.

Are the dimensions actually smaller then the 21311?

Back