home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #726
Atom D&D
Board Member

So, I took some pictures and then I just got in a groove and stopped. Here’s what I did take. The first step in wrapping a custom part is to try and to note potential problem areas and come up with solutions in advance. Such as..

Where the vinyl comes around the end of the dash I’ll need A) a recess for the vinyl to lay flat with the surrounding area and B) a way for the two colors to interface with each other when the chrome strip ends. I laid some double back tape around the edge of the end caps (3M double back is about the same thickness as vinyl), then bondoed up to it. And I cut a slot for the two vinyls to “tuck” into.

The next problem areas are any deep recesses. The least stress you can induce to the vinyl the more likely it is to stay down. The solution there is to twist/pull the vinyl in other areas to create slack for tucking into the recesses (no pic, sorry)

Pocket areas with tight radiuses will almost never get vinyl down in them. The fix is to make an insert to fit in that will allow you to cut slots right up to the radiuses. I do this by machining plugs that are oversized for me to fill up to, but the low tech way would be to use whatever part you’re going to use in the final part, wrap it with masking tape, then put a strip of double back (to create vinyl space) and body up to that.

This is the glue I use (I buy it five gallons at a time, but you can get it in smaller sizes online)

One trick I do is to mask off areas that I’m not wrapping the first time so when I’m wrapping the first half I’m not fighting the vinyl sticking to where I’m not wrapping

Then my technique is to spray glue lightly (I use the $15 Harbor Freight paint guns) to both the part and the vinyl. Wait for it to dry completely. I mean completely. Then lightly spray a second coat on either the part or vinyl (usually the part) and then stick. When possible, I heat the vinyl from the back side. When you heat from the front you risk melting the vinyl before getting it all stretchy. By heating from the back you almost completely eliminate the possibility of “burning” the vinyl

I haven’t completely decided what I’m going to do on the end caps, but for now I just glued a piece of suede on

Custom loop carpet floor mats shown

Next is to re-upholster the door caps two tone with the chrome strip and finish the cluster surround trim

Last edited by Atom D&D; 02-16-2019 at 06:02 PM..
Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #727
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Nice work....
Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #728
doucheNozzle

This is absurd

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #729
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Awesome job man - this all looks like it belongs in there now. The Volvo body I mean.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #730
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

I think my toolbox wants one of those stickers!
Dash looks great!
242, https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344891
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #731
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
I think my toolbox wants one of those stickers!
Dash looks great!
Next time youíre around Iíll give you a few. I got 50 of them. Well, 47 after giving my kids one.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #732
stick70
All the gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
This is absurd
+1

Good job dude, looks killer.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #733
Atom D&D
Board Member

So, I made this fancy phone mount and Music, Spotify and Pandora don’t support landscape mode. Boooooo

I can understand some separate apps since they’re cross platform, but Music? I figured since it’s native iPhone I’d be ok.

Last edited by Atom D&D; 02-19-2019 at 05:02 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #734
thessejway
Wannabe TBer

Check to make sure you don't have your auto rotate locked to portrait

Spotify goes to landscape on my Android phone. but maybe its different for Apple
Old 02-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #735
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thessejway View Post
Check to make sure you don't have your auto rotate locked to portrait

Spotify goes to landscape on my Android phone. but maybe its different for Apple
I checked. I use rotation lock fairy often, but itís not on right now. The home screens and both navigations work in landscape, so right now I just start the music and turn on Waze. Then adjust volume/tracks from my watch.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #736
Atom D&D
Board Member

For Music, this player worked great!

Old 02-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #737
Atom D&D
Board Member

Build note: BMW regulars probably already knew this, but only the gauge numbers are backlit. The needles use the front lighting that comes from about the row of idiot lights. I relocated my idiot lights to the center stack since I needed to shave back the cluster depth. I had turned the lights on to make sure I could see the illumination, but I hadn’t driven it in the dark before yesterday morning. I’m on the way to work and look at the gauges to realize I can see all the numbers, but not what speed I’m going or how much gas I’ve got or anything. Hahahahahaaaaa! I’m in the process of making a new bezel to clean up the cut edges, so I’ll try and integrate some lighting there. I just need it to not be SUPER bright. Maybe red LEDs shining through tinted acrylic or something.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #738
BJORNAGN
Board Member

I was pretty happy with my P1800ES chassis swap until I met you and your project. I feel like a total slacker now! So, I'm just going to lie to myself and say that I will up my interior game next winter!
BJORNAGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #739
Atom D&D
Board Member

So, one unfortunate part of building a car over time instead of all at once is that even when things look good, you might need to take a step backwards to take a step forwards. In this case, it’s the carpet. I had to pull out all the freshly wrapped/painted parts.

The factory carpet has thick foam to “level” the floor glued to the back. To get it off in one piece I took an old blade for my vibe saw and ground the teeth off so it was basically a putty knife.

A) I want to use loop carpet

and B) I want to make the carpet kit similar to how the stock Amazon’s is. In separate pieces. Since my machine can’t bind carpet, I’ll be cutting/layout a few pieces at a time and taking them to my buddy to get the needed edges bound. The rear piece needs no binding so it’s the first to go in. Next is the trans tunnel which only gets bound around the back of the trans tunnel then basically two long floor mats that are bound around three sides (the fourth tucks under the sill plates).

I started with the rear and tunnel pieces first. I’ll get the tunnel darted and bound then trim the floor pieces.

Before anything goes in for the final time, I’ll do a bleach water wipe down of the floor, wire brush any surface rust and put on some converter, then bleach, steam and extract the foams to kill any germs.

Last edited by Atom D&D; 02-23-2019 at 10:00 PM..
Old 02-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #740
Vol242vo
Board Member

Brilliant move on the multi tool blade. Love the red looped carpet too!

Derek - 1980 242
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #741
Atom D&D
Board Member

Carpet stuff

Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #742
cwdodson88
Board Member

Dayum that’s nice.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #743
Atom D&D
Board Member

I two toned the door caps to line up with the dash. Originally I was going to just have a small portion be black. To about where the wing window chrome is. I decided I liked the two tone, so I’m going to make a “halo” of black. Here’s the steps. First I marked the alignment with the chrome strip on the dash

Then I used masking tape to “sketch” the contour I wanted. Next I cut some strips of HDPE (solvent RESISTANT plastic) 3/8” wide. Which after vinyl wrap in both ends will leave about 1/4” opening. Vinyl is about .045”-.05” thick usually. It’s fastened with a combo of double back tape and some small screws from the back

Now, this process is really only for smaller trim panels. This is a heavy process. On a larger panel I’d probably make a mold and pull a fiberglass replacement part before final install. The first bulk (ugly) layer is out of Duraglas. It’s a fiber reinforced filler. This goes on thick and just gets knocked down.

The next steps are with the lightweight filler of your choice. I use this stuff from Wesco. Start with a bulk rough-in layer, then a lighter fill in the low spots coat. 40grit for the rough-in and finish with 80grit. I like to leave it pretty rough to add a “tooth”. Use a sanding block that is as long as is reasonable and use it as often as possible. The final product will turn out way better

Once it’s shaped nicely, pop out the HDPE strip and finish up the edges

Because I’m two toning these, I needed a cut that would allow the two colors to tuck through the panels

Then comes upholstery. Same as before. Mask off the areas you’re not currently covering to keep glue off (if you don’t, you wind up fighting it while wrapping). Spray both part and vinyl, let it dry completely and spray one or the other again

The next part I didn’t go over last time. When you’re looking at a panel to cover, you need to identify potential problem areas. Like this curved area that drops off pretty sharply

If you just laid the vinyl straight on there it would be stretched/stressed pretty good and could potentially lift later

What I do is trim where possible and pre-curve the vinyl that will allow the excess material to be ready to wrap the problem spots. You can see how there’s extra material bunched up now

Then it’s a matter of heat when necessary and tuck and glue and tuck and etc

For the chrome I’m using door edge guard (for the time being) that I grind some off the “back” and stuff in the channel

I still haven’t figured out 100% what I’m going to do where the dash/door meet. And at the end of the door caps at the rear edge of the door, but they’re on there

Old 03-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #744
Vol242vo
Board Member

I’m sure you’ve heard it, but man you really do phenomenal work. That interior is beautifully done.

Did you have a rendering of what you wanted or shooting from the hip?
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #745
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Iím sure youíve heard it, but man you really do phenomenal work. That interior is beautifully done.

Did you have a rendering of what you wanted or shooting from the hip?
As far as the interior goes, 100% from the hip. Which is why some stuff winds up getting rebuilt later. I never know what the next panel will look like until I finish the last one. As far as the exterior, we did a few photoshops, but I just have a general theme.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #746
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Absolutely bonkers! just staggeringly good!
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #747
Atom D&D
Board Member

Ok, headliner time. I don’t want to do the suspended factory style, so I headed to Pick n Pull with my tape measure and learned a few things. A) sunroofs in wagons are far more common than I expected, 2) modern cars narrow at the top more than an Amazon does and D) a lot of long roof cars have extra “junk” on the headliners (overhead consoles, vents, stuff). I found one candidate though. A Saturn (I thought it said S200 on it, but I don’t remember exactly). It needs a little “work”. It’s short in the back, but I have a plan for that (more later), it tapers towards the back (easy fix) and it has a shallow contour in the front.

I moved the mirror mount down to the windshield as opposed to on a bracket on the header, slid the headliner forward more, creased it a little (that I’ll fix in place with fiberglass after I peel the cloth) and then added an aluminum flange to hold the headliner up and create a straight line in the headliner.

Now I’m working on pillar covers that will run the length on the sides and cover the aluminum, the A & B pillars and trim around the front gaps around the windshield. I’m going to cover everything in black suedeliner (I NEVER do black headliners) as an homage to the European sport BMW option headliners.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #748
Atom D&D
Board Member

Anyone have some scotch, or beer, or both.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #749
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom D&D View Post
Anyone have some scotch, or beer, or both.

vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #750
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

...but how?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote