'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #902
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
What do you do for work again?
General fabrication. My title is Senior Integration Engineer. What I actually do is proof of concept work, rapid prototyping and general problem solving. Currently at a satellite antenna company, but who knows next. I’ve done everything from complete custom car fabrication to composite ballistic armor development to paint/body and now RF systems integration.
Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #903
matt b
Board Member

That really sucks about your job. Any chance you'd consider doing customer builds ? If you were to put in even 1/2 of the effort into another car, I feel like a lot of people would be interested in buying it from you.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #904
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Dude, condolences about your department. I'd like to hope that someone with your obvious skills and motivation will be picked up by a better employer very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom D&D View Post
What are you using to stop the hood in the full open position? In some of the pics I can see what look like little sprung bumpers, forward of the base hinges - am I imagining that?

Also, cheers to making the hood swing far enough away from the front of the car to still give you good access to the front of the engine bay while open. That's a great feature.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #905
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Dude, condolences about your department. I'd like to hope that someone with your obvious skills and motivation will be picked up by a better employer very soon.

What are you using to stop the hood in the full open position? In some of the pics I can see what look like little sprung bumpers, forward of the base hinges - am I imagining that?

Also, cheers to making the hood swing far enough away from the front of the car to still give you good access to the front of the engine bay while open. That's a great feature.
At this point, nothing besides leverage and gravity for the flip forward. I’m adding a strut for the pop-up portion. The front hinges have adjustable stops for the forward flip. They’re universal parts from Amazon.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #906
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
That really sucks about your job. Any chance you'd consider doing customer builds ? If you were to put in even 1/2 of the effort into another car, I feel like a lot of people would be interested in buying it from you.
The wife and I are discussing resurrecting Atom Design & Development and going out on my own. Then I’d be able to take on whatever work I want. It’s a bit scary, but could wind up for the best.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #907
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
They’re universal parts from Amazon.
From Amazon. For Amazon. I see what you did there.

I'd say good luck -- but I can see clearly that you create your own. You'll be fine whichever direction you strike out in. Be sure you let us all know if you strike out on your own -- I would look for an opportunity to send some business your way.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #908
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
From Amazon. For Amazon. I see what you did there.

I'd say good luck -- but I can see clearly that you create your own. You'll be fine whichever direction you strike out in. Be sure you let us all know if you strike out on your own -- I would look for an opportunity to send some business your way.
At one car show I had a guy walk up, look at my valve cover and mumble, “they own everything else around here, might as well promote them on your car too” and walk away. 😆
Old 05-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #909
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
“they own everything else around here, might as well promote them on your car too”
Nothing has ever summarized the stereotypical boomer worldview as succinctly as this

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #910
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
The wife and I are discussing resurrecting Atom Design & Development and going out on my own. Then I’d be able to take on whatever work I want. It’s a bit scary, but could wind up for the best.
As of January I went on my own away from the film industry when the show I worked on for 3 seasons as Lead Set Dresser moved to Nola. The show actually ended June 2018 and I haven't been called since then for a single commercial which I usually get. I did one custom wood working job for some one local and all of sudden I have work just waiting to be bid on and touched. Its scary has hell to go on your own when you've been working 4 years straight, all union, heath insurance to being on your own. I even had to go LLC but its been the best thing Ive ever done. I even had time to grab a slice of pizza at Costco with my wife and do some day shopping.

I love working for myself even if Im making less money. I get to call the shots. You'll bounce right back up and you have 6 six weeks to prep for what could be a change in life direction work wise.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #911
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Nothing has ever summarized the stereotypical boomer worldview as succinctly as this
LOL - this boomer thought surely it was a Millenial.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #912
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
At one car show I had a guy walk up, look at my valve cover and mumble, “they own everything else around here, might as well promote them on your car too” and walk away. 😆

YES!! That's awesome!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:41 AM   #913
Atom D&D
Board Member

Masked up. Ready for a wipe down and roll into the booth tomorrow. Video will be up in YouTube of the masking shortly.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #914
Vol242vo
Board Member

And so it begins...

Derek - 1980 242
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #915
Atom D&D
Board Member

It’s done. A couple runs to clean up. Not bad considering I haven’t sprayed a complete in over ten years ��
Old 05-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #916
matt b
Board Member

Is that the sealer ? Got a cryptic text from Danny, couldn't quite figure it out.

I can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like you're well on your way to making the IPD deadline, you might even get a few days to relax before heading up!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #917
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Creamy!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #918
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Is that the sealer ? Got a cryptic text from Danny, couldn't quite figure it out.

I can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like you're well on your way to making the IPD deadline, you might even get a few days to relax before heading up!
The pictures Danny took are of the sealer. He left before the base was applied. This pic is done. The lights in the booth make it look really yellow. It’s interesting
Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #919
brickcupra
Board Member

Default Amazing Amazon !!!

bravissimo , Better than new congrats!!!!
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #920
Atom D&D
Board Member

Back home and ready to start the reassembly process. Weird thing that the doors look a different color even though there’s the same amount of material on everything and staggered overlaps. Oh well, I’ll deal with it later. Time to get to work

Old 05-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #921
Vol242vo
Board Member

Rad, no words but RAD. Congrats on such a beautiful and well put together Amazon.
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #922
sksmith
Board Member

Really good work here. Looks great!
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #923
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Done before the insurance companies can figure out what to do. A lot like what passes for "healthcare" these days.

Love the color choice...really nice.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #924
Atom D&D
Board Member

Unmasked, handles in, all the seals back in, hood emblems in, re-blacked out the rear wheel wells, pressure washed the engine bay and loaded more parts in the car to start painting tomorrow.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #925
slow240
Home Schooled

I cannot comprehend the pace at which you work. Yet the quality is nothing short of incredible. Everything looks awesome man, can't wait to see it all assembled again.
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote