home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #26
ElHefe910
Board Member

I know people who have shaved the head down on the Penta series. These motors are old now and people have shaved them down a bit due to warping.
ElHefe910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #27
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Fred Gwynne, ya gotta start your own thread for those questions, we don't do threadjacking here.

Hessam, what car/engine combo are you talking about? A lot of people have thrown opinions in here, maybe they know what you have, but you haven't stated if its a factory turbo motor, a +T or NA, that makes a huge difference in the answers you will get.

I apologize for what seemed, to you and possibly others, to be my attempt to threadjack. I had assumed that my questions were directly related to the title of this thread but apparently they are not.

Last edited by Fred Gwynne; 05-07-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #28
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gwynne View Post
I apologize for what seemed, to you and possibly others, to be my attempt to threadjack. I had assumed that my questions were directly related to the title of this thread but apparently they are not.
You're fine. Thread derailment is par for the course here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gwynne View Post
I have a few real beginner questions for you folks. Is there a difference between shaving, skimming and decking? Is one for the head while the other is for the block?

Also, if you remove material from the head that means that the valves will now be closer to each piston. If you use a high lift cam such as a "k" cam then the valves may collide with the pistons if too much metal is taken off of the head. Is that correct?

What exactly does shimming mean? Are the valves or is the cam shimmed? Is the idea there to keep the valves from hitting the piston?

Thanks for your help.

"Deck" usually refers to material being machined from the block deck, but it also get's thrown around when talking about machining a head to reduce the chamber volume or to clean it up.

"Shaving" refers to just the head.

Running an aftermarket camshaft will usually result in the engine becoming an interference engine. A large percentage of engines are interference by design, I don't worry about it at all.

"Shimming" is setting the valve clearance using valve shims.

Last edited by culberro; 05-07-2019 at 08:11 PM..
culberro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #29
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post

"Deck" usually refers to material being machined from the block deck, but it also get's thrown around when talking about machining a head to reduce the chamber volume or to clean it up.

Running an aftermarket camshaft will usually result in the engine becoming an interference engine. A large percentage of engines are interference by design, I don't worry about it at all.

Right on, I appreciate your help.
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #30
jmc0369
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFresh View Post
In for a penny, in for a pound. :google:
The reality is, skimming is minor compared to what the Swedes and Norwegians do.
Here is a Norwegian thread about porting the 530 with bigger valves.
I'm pretty sure somewhere in this one is a guy relocated the head 3 mm to the exhaust side to fit bigger valves.
http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?...60-topp!/page8
You can google translate it, or just scroll through the pictures.
Holy moly. 12 pages in from the beginning plus I stated at page 20something. Lots of info and kind of fun to see the Swedes pick at each other's ideas. I hadn't seen a discussion of compression vs valve size in the way they are speaking of it. Also, really have to struggle as some words they use we do, not to mention the translator is only capable of so much.

Some of the chamber shots in that thread are beautiful.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; only ourselves can free our minds" - you know who!

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Jidu Krishnamurti
jmc0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #31
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post

Let's not get into perceived absolutes.

No thread-jacking in Performance or maintenance, sales, etc.
If the OP joke around, it's generally cool. But posting the crusher (Ken), etc. is frowned upon.

The deck of the block is pretty standard, could be lots of stuff in other worlds, never means the gasket surface of the head. Machining, cutting, whatever can be done to the deck or the head. "decked" means the deck of the block has been cut.
You can shim lost of things, including a head gasket if too much is missing from either surface.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #32
jmc0369
Board Member

From the Swedish site. What is comb?

". My suction I run a relatively gentle comb on, and has 12.2: 1 in compression, where even the dynamic mandrel is higher than the engine had geometrically original. does not knock on mine before I go smoothly over 40 ° on torque peak, while max torque is picked up at just over 30 °, ergo little point to pull on more ignition if it both slows down the effect and makes bank."

Gentle comb =mild cam?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #33
jmc0369
Board Member

also a recurrent use of the words cream and peak are losing me.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #34
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0369 View Post
From the Swedish site. What is comb?

". My suction I run a relatively gentle comb on, and has 12.2: 1 in compression, where even the dynamic mandrel is higher than the engine had geometrically original. does not knock on mine before I go smoothly over 40 ° on torque peak, while max torque is picked up at just over 30 °, ergo little point to pull on more ignition if it both slows down the effect and makes bank."

Gentle comb =mild cam?
Screw online translators...they can't do car stuff or normal 'snack'.They're too proper and don't know car parts names......gimme the direct thing copy paste or link.. Somewhere up above there was link to Norski Volvo owners club but that's close enough to Swedish, just sounds like they come from the Ozarks

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #35
jmc0369
Board Member

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...o/PICT0123.jpg

Some pics of a 530 cc from on that Swedish site.

This particular guy argues for no protrusion of the valve guide in the intake tract.

Details on post #884 on that thread

Last edited by jmc0369; 05-17-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Old 05-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #36
jmc0369
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Screw online translators...they can't do car stuff or normal 'snack'.They're too proper and don't know car parts names......gimme the direct thing copy paste or link.. Somewhere up above there was link to Norski Volvo owners club but that's close enough to Swedish, just sounds like they come from the Ozarks
John,

You were right about it being from the web site posted on page one. I went thru all 38 pages translating probably 70% of those posts.

Funny to see them crack on politicians and beat each other up too. Peak.. I figure there is some slang just like we use that doesn't translate.

http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?...0-topp!/page36

this link is to the page from which the pics above were sniped.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #37
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0369 View Post
John,

You were right about it being from the web site posted on page one. I went thru all 38 pages translating probably 70% of those posts.

Funny to see them crack on politicians and beat each other up too. Peak.. I figure there is some slang just like we use that doesn't translate.

http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?...0-topp!/page36

this link is to the page from which the pics above were sniped.

It is Norwegian, I'm a memeber---by invite from the Big Cheese Head Moderator..If you were tanslanting that Norsk using Swedish it'll come out even lousier... I'll be back later and show you the BEST translator...gotta cook dinner.

But can you find that particular bit you posted oilier?
Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #38
jmc0369
Board Member

Quote:
It is Norwegian, I'm a memeber---by invite from the Big Cheese Head Moderator..If you were tanslanting that Norsk using Swedish it'll come out even lousier... I'll be back later and show you the BEST translator...gotta cook dinner.

But can you find that particular bit you posted oilier?
I was dreading going back through all that again. I did switch the translator to Norwegian and indeed some words changed "tracks' became 'grooves" when speaking of the Singh grooves and I got lucky and found a reference to "cream" in post #778 on this page.

http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?...0-topp!/page32

" Muligens "Monkey see monkey do" Som de fleste i Rob & Duplicate bransjen... vi VET at en port som er stor nok til å føde ventilvinduet opp til L/D 0.25 vil gå bedre enn den urørte originale som ikke gjør det. Graver man større enn det igjen og hvertfall hvis man ikke kjører mer løft enn L/D 0.25 så har man fortsatt ikke noe mer fløde, bare en latere port uten noe særlig hastighet, eller man har i praksis gjort 530'n om til en 531...

Flere kunder får man seff av å øke arealet opp dit at toppen faktisk fløder nok til at det er ventilvinduet som blir begrensinga, fordi det funker bedre enn det kliss originale hvor det ikke er ventilvinduet som er troppa. Kunden merker at det er forskjell i positiv retning kontra original og anbefaler så denne jobben til neste mann som lurer

Skal det funke enda bedre innenfor alfabet-løft kan man lage generøs back-cut på ventilene og gjøre setevinkelen noe smalere så innerdian på setevinkelen øker, feks med en vinkel ekstra i seteinnsatsen, for å flytte ventilvinduet lengre ut så dette blir større for ethvert løft... Rydder man så lett opp i brennkammeret og gjør det mer symmetrisk ala bedre-brennende VAG 2v topper, så blir det dertil også et enda bedre resultat, ikke bare fordi det samtidig fløder noe bedre, men fordi man utnytter det man har fått inn bedre også. Feks. er den originale Volvo løsningen med ubrukte squish-flater i toppen som stikker ut over gropa i stempelet en direkte ødelegende affære, evt. kan man få "customstempeler" som gjenspeiler squish-flatene, men det igjen er ikke en billig affære og noe man kun helst foretar seg på et litt mer seriøst NA-bygg hvor man også vil holde kammeret noe mer kompakt (på et vis er jo å basere seg på en 530 litt skivebom i utgangspunktet hvis ikke regler osv forbyr feks. 16v), og da er brennkammer mod. en bedre løsning i de aller flestes tilfeller.

Det som er litt interessant er at den modifikasjonen jeg og Bjørn gjør, gjør akkurat det samme, MEN den tillater at man kan hente mer ved å kjøre mer løft enn alfabet-kammene opererer med også OM eier/kunde skulle ønske det, og den fløder også bedre hvis man putter i større ventiler også, da den støtter mer hastighet pr. areal i porten.

Som sagt. skal man ikke ha i noe annet enn feks. A eller D kam og andre kammer som knapt beveger seg over 10mm, så spiller det nesten mindre rolle hvordan det hølet ser ut bare det er tilstrekkelig areal til å fore det ventilvinduet man har tilgjengelig med luft. Og selvfølgelig at det ikke sender evt. væskedråper (kondensert bensin/wet-flow) en lite gunstig plass.

PS. glemte å nevne en skarp kant før back-cut eller setevinkelen alt etter som (altså upstream på ventiltallerkenen, vet ikke hva det kalles i industreien men jeg kaller det undercut av tallerken-ryggen), dreper noen få CFM riktignok, men gjør mer enn nok opp for det på andre vis... F1 har brukt det i ganske lang tid er det meg bekjent Ventilen til høyre illustrerer prinsippet godt...
"

Translator says..
Possibly "Monkey see monkey do" Like most in the Rob & Duplicate industry ... we KNOW that a port large enough to feed the valve window up to L / D 0.25 will go better than the uncrowded original that doesn't. If you dig larger than that again and anyway if you do not drive more lift than L / D 0.25 then you still have no more cream, just a later port without any special speed, or you have in practice made the 530'n to a 531 ...
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #39
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

OK here that thru my favorite on line translator
Quote:
"Mooleegens "Munkey see-a munkey du" Sum de-a fleste-a i Rub & Doopleecete-a brunsjee... fee FET et in purt sum ir stur nuk teel å føde-a fenteelfindooet oopp teel L/D 0.25 feel gå bedre-a inn dee urørte-a ooreeginele-a sum ikke-a gjør det. Grefer mun større-a inn det igjee oog hfertffell hfees mun ikke-a kjører mer løfft inn L/D 0.25 så her mun furtsett ikke-a nue-a mer fløde-a, bere-a in letere-a purt utee nue-a særleeg hesteeghet, iller mun her i preksees gjurt 530'n oom teel in 531...

Flere-a koonder får mun seffff ef å øke-a ereelet oopp deet et tuppee fekteesk fløder nuk teel et det ir fenteelfindooet sum blur begrenseenga, furdee det foonker bedre-a inn det kleess ooreeginele-a hfur det ikke-a ir fenteelfindooet sum ir truppa. Koondee merker et det ir furskjell i puseetif retneeng kuntra ooreeginel oog unbeffeler så denne-a jubbee teel neste-a munn sum loorer

Skel det foonke-a inda bedre-a innenffur elffebet-løfft kun mun lege-a generøs beck-coot på fenteelene-a oog gjøre-a setefeenkelee nue-a smelere-a så innerdeeun på setefeenkelee øker, feks med in feenkel ikstra i seteeennsetsee, fur å flytte-a fenteelfindooet lengre-a ut så dette-a blur større-a fur ithfert løfft... Rydder mun så lett oopp i brennkemmeret oog gjør det mer symmetreesk ela bedre-a-brennende-a FEG 2f tupper, så blur det derteel oogså it inda bedre-a resooltet, ikke-a bere-a furdee det semteedig fløder nue-a bedre-a, mee furdee mun utnytter det mun her fått inn bedre-a oogså. Feks. ir dee ooreeginele-a Fulfu løsneengee med ubrookte-a sqooeesh-fleter i tuppee sum steekker ut oofer grupa i stempelet in durekte-a ødelegende-a effffære-a, ift. kun mun få "coostumstempeler" sum gjenspeeeler sqooeesh-fletene-a, mee det igjee ir ikke-a in beellig effffære-a oog nue-a mun koon helst fureter seg på it leett mer sereeøst NA-bygg hfur mun oogså feel hulde-a kemmeret nue-a mer kumpekt (på it fees ir ju å besere-a seg på in 530 leett skeefebum i utgungspoonktet hfees ikke-a regler oosf furbyr feks. 16f), oog da ir brennkemmer mud. in bedre-a løsneeng i de-a eller flestes teelffeller.

That's far easier than the Norwegian..

Try this..It works great or as those Norsk boys spell it greit---but sounds the same.
http://www.tuco.de/home/jschef.htm
Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #40
klr142
Turbo, what?

I don't see your translation?
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #41
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
I don't see your translation?
Got busy... cleaning sills on my former 4x4 Cossie (which is soon to be a 2wd Cossie) prior to some welding and then went for a 2 hour walk in the park with my daughter, then began cleaning my poor old Saab rally car, then it was time to cook dinner..

And I got lost in exactly what he wanted translated.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #42
klr142
Turbo, what?

You sound human! It's all good, google translate from Norwegian looks good enough for the most part. I just need to find time to go through it all.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #43
jmc0369
Board Member

Quote:
Got busy... cleaning sills on my former 4x4 Cossie (which is soon to be a 2wd Cossie) prior to some welding and then went for a 2 hour walk in the park with my daughter, then began cleaning my poor old Saab rally car, then it was time to cook dinner..

And I got lost in exactly what he wanted translated.
Yeah, I enjoyed that thread. Granted allot was lost in translation 😜