home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Default 240 Remote Filter and Oil Cooler Stuff

I thought I'd share some of the details of the new remote oil filter and oil cooler parts I'm putting together. I previously had a remote oil filter and cooler setup that had been in my 242 for probably 10 years, but it was made with Summit Racing rubber oil hose and parts using pipe thread nipples and hose clamps. It worked fine until it didn't. The oil hose began to harden and I had been finding leaks due to the clamped connections loosening because of shrinkage. So an upgrade is in order. New hoses and hose fitting are all Aeroquip Socketless (push-on). And all push-on locations will also get Oetiker pinch clamps for added security.

There is something I found with the original B21FT oil cooler sandwich adapter (thermostat housing) that I'm puzzled with. I'll share that first and maybe someone has a better understanding of it.

Here are some pics of the original Volvo adapter. I'll get to the puzzlement in a sec.
edit: the second pic . . . that temp marked on there says 75 degrees.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B21FTplate1med.jpg (133.8 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg B21FTplate2med.jpg (112.0 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg B21FTplate4med.jpg (158.5 KB, 323 views)

'84 242ti, owned since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, iPd Springs/Sways, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD retrofitted, 3.91 diff with G80.
Volvo seeks Divorce from Volvo Enthusiast Community: www.prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: www.davebarton.com

Last edited by dbarton; 05-13-2019 at 01:38 PM..
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

It was mounted upside down?

Otherwise looks fine. Rare part here.
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

No, it was mounted correctly.

The puzzlement is this:
I tested the thermostat function. When cold, it closes off flow to the oil cooler as expected. But it also closes off all flow to the filter. Looking at the photos below, the bottom pic . . . that hole is closed off until the thermostat get hot. Now I know the Wahler engineers were smart dudes, and it has worked this way for a million Volvos, BUT does it bother anyone else that no oil goes to the filter until it's hot?
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B21FTplate6med.jpg (160.1 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by dbarton; 05-13-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Here's the new spin-on adapter that's going onto the block. Just this. No other sandwich plate. Made by Derale. The threads in the ports are AN -10 0-ring and there are -10 male to -8 male adapters on there.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-35703
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derale-spin-on2.jpg (140.4 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by dbarton; 05-15-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Here's the remote filter mount (it goes under the front right corner behind the bumper).

It has a thermostat sandwitch plate I added that controls oil very differently from the Volvo Wahler one. This plate allows flow through the filter when cold, but will not allow flow to the oil cooler until it reaches temperature.
Thermostat was made by Hayden: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-205
Oil filter mount is Permacool #1791: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1791
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remotefilter-thermo2med.jpg (86.5 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg remotefilter-thrmo3med.jpg (107.7 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by dbarton; 05-16-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

I guess they figured with a turbo the oil will get hot quickly so the loss of filtering wouldn't be too long?

Still doesn't seem ok and it would have been easy to just use an inline setup that filters and then goes to a thermostat and oil cooler.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

So you're saying that this flow diagram is incorrect? Did you test it with compressed air?

Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
hiperfauto
Board Member

Edit: culberro beat me to it.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
So you're saying that this flow diagram is incorrect? Did you test it with compressed air?

This is really mysterious now. I did that test last night. Yes, with compressed air. No flow to the filter side. Then heated it with a heat gun and it opened.

NOW, I try it today (cold) and it flows like the above diagram when cold. [Twilight Zone music]

So I guess never mind that.

Edit: Maybe this one is sticking. If I were re-using, I think disassembly and inspection/cleaning would be in order.

Dave

Last edited by dbarton; 05-16-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Here's another pic. This is the adapter fitting for my RX7 oil cooler. The fitting is 18mm x 1.5 Male to -8 AN Male. And it uses a sealing washer at the oil cooler port.

The sealing washer is not just a normal metal washer. It's an aluminum washer with an embedded o-ring. Never tried these before. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKVYWD4/
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RX7oilcooler1med.jpg (116.6 KB, 312 views)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
OttoB
Board Member

Sealing washers are known as USIT Rings.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
No, it was mounted correctly.

The puzzlement is this:
I tested the thermostat function. When cold, it closes off flow to the oil cooler as expected. But it also closes off all flow to the filter. Looking at the photos below, the bottom pic . . . that hole is closed off until the thermostat get hot. Now I know the Wahler engineers were smart dudes, and it has worked this way for a million Volvos, BUT does it bother anyone else that no oil goes to the filter until it's hot?
Dave

It is impossible to bypass the filter. If you block the filter no oil will go into the engine. There is only one entry: into the center of the hollow screw.

I don't understand your idea, sorry

Have a good night, Kay
Old 05-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Quote:
Here's another pic. This is the adapter fitting for my RX7 oil cooler. The fitting is 18mm x 1.5 Male to -8 AN Male. And it uses a sealing washer at the oil cooler port.

The sealing washer is not just a normal metal washer. It's an aluminum washer with an embedded o-ring. Never tried these before. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKVYWD4/
Dave
My experience : it won't seal this way. You have to add a washer between the hexagon of the AN and the sealed washer. The surface of the AN isn't large enough
Old 05-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
NotSoFresh
Sick ****** T-Brick Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
My experience : it won't seal this way. You have to add a washer between the hexagon of the AN and the sealed washer. The surface of the AN isn't large enough
Not nearly enough red rtv for tb-ricks as well.
NotSoFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #15
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
A "Bonded Sealing Washer" (what you ask for when you go into the hydraulic hose shop) should be good for at least 2000 PSI. I use them all the time without any issues.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #16
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Stock replacement fuel filters come with bonded seal washers. Also heard them called o-ring washers or lip seal washers. They used them on SAABs since forever.

https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4663/...ing-Large-14mm

Thanks for the PNs on the filter adapters. Why not run -10 hose?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #17
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Stock replacement fuel filters come with bonded seal washers. Also heard them called o-ring washers or lip seal washers. They used them on SAABs since forever.

https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4663/...ing-Large-14mm

Thanks for the PNs on the filter adapters. Why not run -10 hose?
I'm going to work on improving that seal on the oil cooler.

-10 vs -8 is just a personal preference mostly, except I've seen issues before with low oil pressure with -10 that didn't occur with -8. But I'm sure now a bunch of you running -10 will say, "I've never had a problem." Come one. Let's have it.
Dave
Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #18
jlfenton95

This reminds me, I bought a used greddy thermostatic remote oil filter with the oil cooler send and return integrated. The bloke I bought it from didn't use an oil cooler so he blocked off the send and return. Problem is though he blocked off the motor side and instead used the cooler send and return for oil lines. There was no way for the oil to go through the filter at all regarding the internal routing. Not sure what happened though - didn't ask. He had rb's.

Anyway, if possible I'd like to see pics of your installation. I was thinking of welding a bracket to the chassis rail between the radiator and alternator and mounting mine there (on a 240). Though I'm still unsure...
jlfenton95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #19
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

That reminds me . . . I've been thinking about that damned Volvo Wahler thermostat sandwich. I had thought for years that the thing must have been stuck open because it would take forever to get the oil up to above 160. 20 minutes of driving. So some time back I installed an inline thermostat (below pic) near the oil cooler. It made a big improvement.

So now I'm thinking that Volvo Wahler thermostat function was working, but maybe getting super-heated by the turbo before the oil could get hot. Maybe that's just a bad place for a thermostat.

I'll be posting pics as I go with this. I ordered some different fittings for the oil cooler, so it's going slow.

The in-line thermostat below is now going away.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hayden163thermolo.jpg (38.5 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by dbarton; 05-16-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Come one. Let's have it.
-10AN lines to/from the cooler on the LS3 on mine. Cold start - 65 psig; At 210F oil temp, 35 psig at 675 rpm idle and it goes up from there with rpm. It does take a breath longer for the pressure to register (gauge, light) on a cold start, but then I have the sender mounted in one of the cooler fittings.

Since you asked. ;)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #21
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
-10AN lines to/from the cooler on the LS3 on mine. Cold start - 65 psig; At 210F oil temp, 35 psig at 675 rpm idle and it goes up from there with rpm. It does take a breath longer for the pressure to register (gauge, light) on a cold start, but then I have the sender mounted in one of the cooler fittings.

Since you asked. ;)
Well, if *I* had an extra spare 4 cylinders to push that pump, then maybe I'd upgrade to -10 too

Last edited by dbarton; 05-16-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
That reminds me . . . I've been thinking about that damned Volvo Wahler thermostat sandwich. I had thought for years that the thing must have been stuck open because it would take forever to get the oil up to above 160. 20 minutes of driving. So some time back I installed an inline thermostat (below pic) near the oil cooler. It made a big improvement.

So now I'm thinking that Volvo Wahler thermostat function was working, but maybe getting super-heated by the turbo before the oil could get hot. Maybe that's just a bad place for a thermostat.

I'll be posting pics as I go with this. I ordered some different fittings for the oil cooler, so it's going slow.
Dave

It takes about 10 minutes of freeway driving for the oil temp to come up on both my ES and the 245 Turbo, so you may be in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 05-16-2019 at 11:25 AM..
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #23
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
It takes about 10 minutes of freeway driving for the oil temp to come up on both my ES and the 245 Turbo, so you may be in search of a problem that doesn't exist.
or maybe it did exist (in my car AND your cars) and this solved it for me:
Quote:
So some time back I installed an inline thermostat (below pic) near the oil cooler. It made a big improvement.

Last edited by dbarton; 05-16-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

I ordered some different 18mm x 1.5 Male to -8 AN Male fittings for the RX7 oil cooler. First ones were Aeroquip FBM2244. New ones are Russell 670561. The Russell fitting has a larger hex shoulder and offers more support of the sealing washer.

Edit: hard to see a difference in the pics, but the Aeroquip hex is 0.815 inch and the Russell is 0.875 inch.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RX7oilcoolerfitting4med.jpg (69.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 16mmx1-5male2med.jpg (87.4 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by dbarton; 05-15-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #25
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

One step forward, one step back.
Looking through my parts I had this short filter nipple. It's 1 inch long, which is not long enough. It's long enough to engage the threads on the new spin-on, but I can only get about 1/2 turn. That dish and the threads beginning so deep in the block means a longer nipple is needed.

I've ordered one that's 1.25 inches long. Might work. I'd like one longer than that, but I can't find one longer than 1.25 inch. Doesn't seem to exist.

-8 AN is 3/4-16, so in theory I could use a -8 male to male coupler, but that just seems wrong.

Does anyone know how long an original Volvo B21/B23 non-turbo nipple is?

If desperation sets in, I guess I can order this 3 inch long VW nipple for $25 and cut it down
http://www.wasteoilheater.us/index.p..._HEATER_NIPPLE
Or this one for $20: https://www.driftmotion.com/JZ-Block...6-p/dm3279.htm
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derale-spin-on4med.jpg (144.3 KB, 186 views)