home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #26
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

So are you guys just pulling the engine harnesses out of the car, removing the EZK and ecu, and leaving the rest of the stock wiring in place?
ScotchWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #27
M.H. Yount
Board Member

All Volvo engine harness and ecu gone on mine. Ran new wires for gauges, oil pressure light, starting circuit.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 06-03-2019 at 12:20 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #28
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchWhiskey View Post
So are you guys just pulling the engine harnesses out of the car, removing the EZK and ecu, and leaving the rest of the stock wiring in place?
At least on a 240, there isn't much intermingling between the engine harness and the rest of the wiring in the engine bay (ABS, lights, etc, etc). And I'd already sort of fussed with it a bunch with the last iteration of the 16V turbo engine (MS3 with sequential injection and COP). Both stock ECU's were gone, the engine harness was pulled apart and a lot of unused wiring was removed, some new wiring added.

I got an EFI Source Goldbox and premade harness (about a year and a half ago) - it's pretty self contained. Just a few connections from it to the car to be made. And I need to add a few wires into the harness for an engine coolant temp sensor (for the stock gauge) and the oil pressure gauge. And the alternator warning light.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
And the alternator warning light.
That and getting the tach working - took a bit of head scratching, but they both work as they should. Oh - hooked up the Lamda Sond light to the CEL on the GM ecu. That and the alt light required separating those lights from the printed circuit -- two separate bulb holders modified to fit in the cluster. Then separate wires could be attached to those bulbs.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #30
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I'm hoping I can configure an MS output for the tach.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...uges-with-ms3/

The 240 tach isn't as picky about signals as the 740/940 apparently is - where you have to run it through a gutted relay.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #31
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Just have use a 12v tie w/1000 ohm resistor to allow my 5V tach signal from ecu to be interpreted by tach expecting a 12V signal.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #32
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Just have use a 12v tie w/1000 ohm resistor to allow my 5V tach signal from ecu to be interpreted by tach expecting a 12V signal.
exactly what I did. I had to change the multiplier in HP Tuners. Simple google search answered what multiplier.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #33
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

Glad to see some ideas on the tach and gauges, I’ll be referencing them when it comes time to buttoning it all up.

I removed the engine harness, but as mentioned earlier in the thread the 7/9 harness is more interconnected than the 240. I have a few wires from the EZK harness that runs into another connector which is connected elsewhere. I’ve decided not to cut them and to leave the EZK wiring and will leave the connectors for the power stage, suppression relay, and resistor for the injectors on inside of the drivers fender.

Haven’t looked into the passenger’s footwell much but I’m assuming it to be the same as the EZK.
ScotchWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #34
M.H. Yount
Board Member

This works with my E38 ECU for tach.