home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #351
tonybaroni

Tfrasca - Just discovered the thread, thank you for sharing all the progress you've made. It's a terrific swap, looks amazing.
tonybaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #352
Tfrasca
Board Member

So, I finished the crossmember last week and got the T5 sitting more or less where it needs to. The driveline got a slip yoke welded on and the front section was enlarged to 2". That fit with zero issues.

Last weekend I put the 240 tunnel in that I got from hiperfauto. That was definitely the best way to go about getting a T5 into an early (front shift) car. As you can see in the photos, I had to notch out a section at the front left of the tunnel, and made a little pocket to patch that up and give it a few extra millimeters of space. Then I welded the whole thing and sealed it with seam sealer from the top and bottom.

I drove it to work and back, but the trans is now making enough noise at idle in neutral that I'm pulling it out again this weekend. Sounds like input bearing noise. Clutch out, in neutral, it sounds like pretty aggressive rod knock in the trans case.

It shifts and drives flawlessly, though. We'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tunnelriveted-0935.jpg (156.7 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg Tunnelriveted-0948.jpg (136.2 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Tunnelriveted-0959.jpg (164.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Tunnelriveted-1004.jpg (158.2 KB, 272 views)
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #353
sksmith
Board Member

Very cool and great job!
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #354
Tfrasca
Board Member

Got the T5 out. Pilot bearing is smooth as silk, which sucks because I was kind of hoping it had something to do with that. It's one of those Ford needle bearing and it seemed a little stiff when I put it in. Now that it's been run for 20 miles, it seems totally fine.

I should also add that there is zero play in the input shaft. But, I can get the transmission to make the rattle noise by rotating the input shaft back and forth on the bench. It's definitely gear mesh, not bearing noise.

I'm thinking the rattle in neutral at idle is just the 8 cylinder transmission on a 4 cylinder thing. I really should have tried some Lucas oil stabilizer before I pulled the damn thing!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #355
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Ok, to late.
What kind of clutch disc are you running? Damped or not? I did a fast read through this thread and couldn't find,
If not damped with torsion springs this rattle is a "must"

Regards, Kay
still in hope to see my 142 this year on the road, too. Only with B230f and LPG, no "T"
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #356
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Ok, to late.
What kind of clutch disc are you running? Damped or not? I did a fast read through this thread and couldn't find,
If not damped with torsion springs this rattle is a "must"

Regards, Kay
still in hope to see my 142 this year on the road, too. Only with B230f and LPG, no "T"
I have a damped clutch from Yoshifab. "Stage 2", for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #357
Ilvmetal
Board Member

Just fished my T5 mock into my 73 142. Wish I went your direction with the cross member. My the time I was finished molesting the ford mustang one I could of just made one from scratch.
Any thoughts yet on drive shaft? We found the aluminum one from a aerostar but it wont fit in the small mid mount body tunnel. I've seen some guys cut it out to make the driveshaft fit. It just seems very structural and part of the body.
2017 S60T5 Pole star ecu flash (still slow)
At any given time I have to many projects but not enough Volvos...
Ilvmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 PM   #358
Tfrasca
Board Member

Well, I could have saved myself a lot of time, but I guess that's how you learn. Everything looked great with the transmission, so I read up on people adding some Luca Oil Stabilizer to the ATF in their T5s. I put about .5 quart in, and I'd say the noise has been cut down by 50%. It's completely liveable.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #359
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmetal View Post
Just fished my T5 mock into my 73 142. Wish I went your direction with the cross member. My the time I was finished molesting the ford mustang one I could of just made one from scratch.
Any thoughts yet on drive shaft? We found the aluminum one from a aerostar but it wont fit in the small mid mount body tunnel. I've seen some guys cut it out to make the driveshaft fit. It just seems very structural and part of the body.
Do you mean you wish you used two stock mounts like mine? It seems pretty sweet so far. If I did it again, I'd make one from scratch too. Mine is way overcomplicated.

The driveshaft seems to be fine. No vibrations up to 90mph so far.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #360
sksmith
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmetal View Post
Do you have a thread on your T5 installation into your 142?
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #361
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Do you have a thread on your T5 installation into your 142?
Steve
I don't. Maybe I'll try to throw something together.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #362
Tfrasca
Board Member

I've got a few more days of driving with the T5. I put my carpet back in, except for the tunnel piece that obviously no longer fits. I also laid down two layers of Noico 80 mil sound deadening over the tunnel, and used a new 240 shift boot with a rag stuffed in it for more sound proofing.

My impressions are that I just don't like this transmission. With straight ATF in it, it shifts really well, but is unbelievably loud for a fresh rebuild. All the normal T5 sounds: 5 gear rumble, rattle on decel, rattle at idle, etc. With some Lucas Oil Stabilizer, it's *slightly* better, but shifts noticeably worse.

EDIT: Has anyone noticed how hot their trans tunnel gets? With the sound deadening on, but no carpet, I can barely touch the tunnel for more than a few seconds. I had no idea transmissions got so hot.

If this car keeps my interest for long enough, I could definitely see myself trying something else. Now that I've cut a tunnel out, I'm not afraid of making something bigger fit, like an M90 perhaps. As a matter of fact, if I was starting this project knowing what I know now, I'd do a 5 cylinder whiteblock/M90 swap. Live and learn.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #363
Jack
Banned

They are loud.
Ever touch a m46 once it’s up to temp? Really hot

Sound deadening and carpet will make a difference
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #364
cwdodson88
Board Member

what ATF? Dex6? DexMerc3? They're not all the same. My trans guy recommends DexMerc3, unless its going to see abuse, then its valvoline MTF, and 1/2 qt of lucas. He said itll create some drag, but it holds up to these gearboxes well. Used it in the t5 dogbox, and its way quieter than my t5. But I put in dex6 because its what I had, so now I get to flush and refill with something better. I'll probably do the MTF/Lucas just because of how quiet the dogbox is with that combo.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #365
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
They are loud.
Ever touch a m46 once it’s up to temp? Really hot

Sound deadening and carpet will make a difference
It's loud, that's for sure. I'm going to layer some thick jute, then part of a 240 tunnel carpet over and that should help, even though I already have sound deadening on it. It'll still be loud from outside the car. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
what ATF? Dex6? DexMerc3? They're not all the same. My trans guy recommends DexMerc3, unless its going to see abuse, then its valvoline MTF, and 1/2 qt of lucas. He said itll create some drag, but it holds up to these gearboxes well. Used it in the t5 dogbox, and its way quieter than my t5. But I put in dex6 because its what I had, so now I get to flush and refill with something better. I'll probably do the MTF/Lucas just because of how quiet the dogbox is with that combo.
It's got Dex/Merc 3, plus a 1/2 quart of Lucas in it now. I hadn't heard the MTF thing. That works with the fiber synchros? At any rate, I can tell there's a lot more drag with the Lucas in there. Shifting is more notchy, and the car almost seems slower, but that could be in my head.

This is kind of goofy, but I wonder how much sound muffling you'd get from one of those transmission blankets? Obviously, I'll never blow this thing up with my B23, but maybe wrapping the trans with this would quiet it down further:

Old 02-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #366
Jack
Banned

first oil leak and you're going to hate that blanket
Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #367
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
first oil leak and you're going to hate that blanket
Ha, that's a good point.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #368
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

That sounds positively uncivilised. I take it this is the clutch? https://yoshifab.com/store/volvo-red...-2-clutch.html

Re the heat, consider a stock setup, say 150hp, with roughly 10% loss into the trans being 15hp, then think about that heating your living room, and you're ball park. If you up the power to 300hp with boost, you won't be losing 30hp, but a bit more.

Many vehicles have shielding in the trans tunnel for these reasons. Most others have decent clearance in there for airflow.
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #369
cwdodson88
Board Member

Just did some reading, and it seems that the issue is gear oils (including MTFs) breakdown the synchro linings. Stick with dex/merc.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #370
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

I run Mobil1 ATF in mine and switch it out every year...the first few hundred KM it sounded terrible as all the new gears sort of found their home. The 1-2 shift was also a bit off for a bit. Considering part of the installation had me hitting it with a hammer - I'm not surprised (instruction from Tony at Astro Performance - I still shudder thinking of that). Now at 22K Km it's pretty much as good as a T5 can be. A bit mechanical on the shift, but I like that. It makes a racket at idle with the clutch out but I'm also running the poly mount which is not good for NVH isolation. I do notice a difference each spring when I switch to new fluid.

1966 Canadian (B5234T, C4 up front, Supra out back and a nut in the middle) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
1981 242 (B230FT, LH 2.4...and a few other things)

YouTube channel covering Canadian build https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx...n3CiBQFd4rMyXw
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #371
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I run Mobil1 ATF in mine and switch it out every year...the first few hundred KM it sounded terrible as all the new gears sort of found their home. The 1-2 shift was also a bit off for a bit. Considering part of the installation had me hitting it with a hammer - I'm not surprised (instruction from Tony at Astro Performance - I still shudder thinking of that). Now at 22K Km it's pretty much as good as a T5 can be. A bit mechanical on the shift, but I like that. It makes a racket at idle with the clutch out but I'm also running the poly mount which is not good for NVH isolation. I do notice a difference each spring when I switch to new fluid.
Good to hear. I have wondered if there was a bit of a run in period on a rebuilt T5. I just ordered some 1/2" thick Dynaliner for the tunnel, so I'm hoping that helps enough to go back to straight ATF.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #372
Jack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
thought maybe my pilot bearing was doing this... going in there to swap clutches soon so ill check....
Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #373
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

My T5 operates fine, but has an idle rattle as well...as I am learning, I'm pretty sure that's just the T5 way.

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #374
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
thought maybe my pilot bearing was doing this... going in there to swap clutches soon so ill check....
That's why I pulled my trans after the first day of driving it. I used one of those Ford Motorsport needle bearings, and when I put it in, it didn't rotate as easily as a sealed ball bearing. I was impatient, so I put the trans in anyway, and immediately attributed all the noise to a bad pilot bearing.

When I pulled it out to check, the bearing had loosened up and was spinning freely.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #375
Jack
Banned

That’s what I have in mine What bearing did you go with ?

I only notice it sometimes... in neutral at stop with foot off clutch, I usually keep my foot on it. First thing I thought was the Pilot... I’m too lazy to even replace my slipping clutch. I drive this car about 400-500 miles a week.

Overall there is a lot more to a t5 swap than most ever talk about.... fixed one set of problems with the m46 and replaced it with other in the t5... fuk