• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242. A love story.

740atl

Gear acquisition syndrome
242. Lt1.

And we're back.

all the rest of the build pics to be uploaded at a later date.

The following photos taken at the 2010 Carlisle Auto Show. I'm not sure who took them, but thank you.

Just got the car back from Atlanta after a 3 year hiatus. All body work/paint/detail work done by MikeJr. He simply outdid himself and I am still at a loss for words when I see this car. There are so many fine details on this car, every panel is straight, there's not a drop of orange peel, the paint is a mile deep, the lines and gaps are tight, the doors open like the car is a lexus. I am thrilled with the smoked turnsignals/tail lights. The car is a classic understatement and I cannot stop staring at it. There is nothing else like it on the road. Thanks dude.

Mike called a few months ago with the plan to tow the 242 to Carlisle and I would tow his 164 to Carlisle and we'd swap. I managed to scrape together enough cash to pick up a beater silverado to make the trip, albeit with 10mpg out of the 4.3L beast. The three hour trip took 5 hours and was white knuckle driving. I was terrified I'd somehow damage his 164 before he even saw it and was beyond terrified to tow the 242 back to New Jersey.

When I laid eyes on the 242 Friday night, I was floored. I'm pretty sure MikeSr. has an embarrassing video of me yelling "holy ****" repeatedly once I saw the car.

Unfortunately, I couldn't keep the polaris.

For those of you I saw at the show, thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

enjoy.

124906504.jpg

124906537.jpg

124906588.jpg

Last edited:
nice. I'da ridden up if I didn't already have plans.

It was a fun show. I'm definitely heading back next year. I missed a lot because I couldn't stop staring at my car. It was great to finally meet a lot of the northeast Tb crowd.

Welcome back dude, that car looks amazing. Make it to a dyno yet?

the car has been dynoed. BAM! weeeeeeeeeeeee wha'd you say? ;-) (inside joke)

Once things settle down, I'll take it back for some dyno love with the bigger turbo.

the car has been dynoed. BAM! weeeeeeeeeeeee wha'd you say? ;-) (inside joke)

Once things settle down, I'll take it back for some dyno love with the bigger turbo.

damnit mike. "Why won't the car run? hm we don't have spark, lemme check the fuses"... *BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

bout 4 years ago it made somewhere around 270 whp on our dyno.

As mentioned above, car looks fantastic - I look forward to seeing more progress on it :)

More importantly, glad to see you back posting on TBricks again :zeeall:

Edit: Double post fail!

I'll just use this space to mention that your 16v was a big part of the inspiration for me to build a 16v of my own! Thanks dude :)

Last edited:
All body work/paint/detail work done by MikeJr.
Well I can't take all of the credit. I farmed out the really tuff body work to a bodyman friend at work, and I didn't actually spray paint on the car. I did do alot of prep work, a whole lot of blocking, complete disassemble & reassemble, buffing and polishing. I can do this kind of work, and do it well, I just chose not to due to time constraints at the time.
I guess you could say I was the creative mastermind behind the body/paint.

Back