• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Performance plugs...

Roy 940

Hi all!

I'm reading a lot of things since 2/3 weeks about "performance" spark plugs. I'm skeptical about it, but before I say it's BS, I would like to have your opinion and/or feedback about it...

I'm looking accurately about :

-Pulstar Pulse plugs
-E3 spark plugs
-Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs
-Other "performance" plugs...

Somebody here had tried it?

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Hi all!

I'm reading a lot of things since 2/3 weeks about "performance" spark plugs. I'm skeptical about it, but before I say it's BS, I would like to have your opinion and/or feedback about it...

-Pulstar Pulse plugs
-E3 spark plugs

E3 cause my 91 NA to miss when back to AC rapid fire #4 which give me 1-1.5 mile per gallon better

All plugs are bull**** except copper. If your really adamant about getting performance from spark plugs, get ngk copper gapped to spec and indexed. Waste of time in 99.999% of t brickers application. Spend money on a mod that's not snake oil

E3 is probably a bad plug for a NA motor like that. Probably was too cold a plug for that no-performance application. Curious on the E3's as well. But don't like the inability to adjust spark gap according to their literature.

All plugs are bull**** except copper. If your really adamant about getting performance from spark plugs, get ngk copper gapped to spec and indexed. Waste of time in 99.999% of t brickers application. Spend money on a mod that's not snake oil

I agree. Copper plugs, NGK, gapped right, right heat number, replaced often. None of this fine wire 'exotic' metal bull**** that is only to extend the change intervals on motors with plugs tucked into the firewall.

Hi all!

-Pulstar Pulse plugs
-E3 spark plugs

The 2-3- and 4 electrode plugs are not "performance" plugs they are "extended life plugs".they have more electrodes so gap checking is extended as a factor of how many electrodes they have.. Want to leave plugs in for 100,000 miles? 4 electrodes.

Same with double platinum. The tips last longer.

BTW, indexing is snake oil unless used to keep your pistons off the ground straps in super high compression engines.

Same with double platinum. The tips last longer.

BTW, indexing is snake oil unless used to keep your pistons off the ground straps in super high compression engines.

This.

The only plug I've ever had trouble with was autolites. Both sets I used, one of the plugs broke an electrode causing major misfire issues. NGK FTW.

I'm running now Bosch WR5DC+, and I'm very happy with that! But after doing some research on the web, I have discovered some "revolutionary" plugs...and I was skeptical about it! But I don't say I'm the mechanics god, so I prefer to ask the fellow Brickers here to have more opinion...:nod:

And my opinion is like yours ;-)

The only "performance" Plugs I ever thought were worth it are the AC Delco rapidfires, but a hot ignition with copper plugs gapped .005 over is what I usually use

http://turbobricks.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154772
3bz%FCndkerze.jpg

How long does it take a spark plug to reach operating temperature? I might try swapping plugs next time I'm on a dyno and see if anything changes.

I am ashamed to say I tried "revolutionary" plugs a couple of times with no miracle results. Remember the split fires? Also, some platinum plugs made previous cars just run like crap (especially my Bimmers). I don't know why, but the platinum just wasn't as good.

My fair half has iridium plugs in the Kia and they last forever, but for the other cars copper NGK's work better and don't cost 14 bucks each. Nowadays the gap has been exact on the last few sets, but I always check them anyway. As easy as plugs are to change and with all the goofy stuff TBers do, it is good to pull them out now and then and take a peek at things anyway.

How long does it take a spark plug to reach operating temperature? I might try swapping plugs next time I'm on a dyno and see if anything changes.

This depends on so so many factors.

If you're talking the time to reach its peak temp then by the time you've got the car to operating temperature and done a power run will be plenty. Peak temps will occur at peak power

I tried Pulstar Pulse plugs, twice.

No mpg gain, made me miss in higher RPM. Ran back to NGK copper plugs.

Back