• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adrian's '78 245 DL+16v

I had to use some teflon paste on a m14 - 1/8 npt adapter.

its been working like a champ since 03?

Did you need an auxiliary ground wire when doing that? I ended up doing that and remotely mounting my oil pressure sender to the washer tank frame via one of those household copper water pipe ground straps and fed it with -3 braided hose.

Get a nice tough steel (NO BRASS111) adapter to the block and a very well fitting fat M14 crush washer and some thick "teflon goop". It rather use steel and a remote hose to avoid putting the sender way out on a bunch of fittings that could create a lever arm and cause it to snap. Avoid brass regardless.

Did you need an auxiliary ground wire when doing that? I ended up doing that and remotely mounting my oil pressure sender to the washer tank frame via one of those household copper water pipe ground straps and fed it with -3 braided hose.

Get a nice tough steel (NO BRASS111) adapter to the block and a very well fitting fat M14 crush washer and some thick "teflon goop". It rather use steel and a remote hose to avoid putting the sender way out on a bunch of fittings that could create a lever arm and cause it to snap. Avoid brass regardless.

It wasn't a perfect wrap of paste, there was enough ground for the sensor to work correctly.

I finally have my Audi gate dialed in, and its a nice OEM quality unit. I think they are built by KKK. They are bomb proof. That being said, I spent about $95 on a diaphragm, because if yours has some miles on it, and its only been run at 7 psi like an Audi does. Then its gonna tear the first time it sees boost. Then I spent $50 on a proper 2.2bar spring. But now, it works perfectly. The opening is small. Its about 30mm or less diameter. But with higher boost settings, it can modulate the boost just fine. Its rock steady as long as you don't try to run less than about 17-18 psi. (on my motor/turbo anyway) It just doesn't flow enough to divert all those gasses around the turbo for the lower boost settings.

So really, the Tial is a good idea. I spent enough to buy a Tial now. Shoulda bought one I guess. They are nice units, quite a bit more compact, and cost a lot less money to service since they are not German.

I have him convinced to buy a Tial 38mm...so I think we are good now!!

Damn it I'm slow on finding this stuff...Great thread Adrian! Awesome to see the progress and awesome to see the Hooptie becoming the Hoopturbie!

Me thinks there will be no more Phil driving faster than Adrian adventures back from IPD...

Hope all is super well, and maybe we can hook up again in the new year sometime.

Have a great Holiday Season!!

-Phil

That looks great buddy! I can't believe that you actually got that turbo to FIT in there. Good choice on the Tial gate, sell the Audi on e-bay or on here.

The one 14x1.5-1/8" npt fitting that I got to seal was from a hydraulics shop and it had a little o-ring on it, not a crush washer. You're making so much oil pressure with that engine, you've gotta make sure these fittings are bulletproof!

John

dammit John, why'd you have to go and move away??

Adrian is now on my hitlist for asking dumb questions.

Holy crap, almost a full year with no updates! I guess that's right around the time I started working full time on top of school, that same time when I rolled it into the garage for a hibernation.

Unfortunately when I graduated, that only meant I had more time for work. Huzzah 80 hour weeks!

Absolutely nothing's happened towards getting it boostu'ed, unless you count embeefening the DS motor mount and adding a third mount off the back of the head passenger side. Oh yeah, and got a wideband in too.

Finally got the coilovers in, some more exhaust on, and some bi-xenons. Ignore the crappy photo quality, it's never sunny in the PacNW once winter hits. It feels like the arctic circle moves a little south every year.
3081213153_d719837ec7.jpg

3081213595_7b47f48a14.jpg

3082055220_2f612e24ee.jpg

WOO TUCKIN THE WINTER HOOPTIERADIALS(tm)
emot-dance.gif

So yeah. It's still in the garage looking awesome for when I have people over. It's what it does.

So what the **** was even the point of this post? "Hey guys nothing has happened here are some pics that show exactly that, nothing." Biggest non-update update ever.

<font color="white">But seriously, let's mate.</font>

Seriously Karl you need to relax a little.

Glad to see you're still turning some wrenches with all your spare time :roll:. I've gotta get off my ass and get wiring here... My poor 265 is very, very disassembled right now. Did you unload the blue one?

M.

Seriously Karl you need to relax a little.

protip: highlight his post. ;-) we've got to get you out to the east coast sometime, their flavor of humor takes a little bit of concentration.

therealmark said:
Glad to see you're still turning some wrenches with all your spare time :roll:. I've gotta get off my ass and get wiring here... My poor 265 is very, very disassembled right now. Did you unload the blue one?

Nope, blue one's still the DD. It actually only took a couple hours to get the coilovers finished, lubed, and in, I'm getting a little too good at dropping the suspension out. This is not a skill I should be proud of.

Got some 18" rimps courtesy of IRoll240, now I'm on the hunt for some big rubber to stuff under there. (anybody got some R6's? :-D )
Had to roll the rear fenders to make it fit, next weekend when I bring the front end further I'll just crank in more negative camber so I don't have to roll the front. ;-)

rimpity rimps:
3265315353_10130b7a12_o.jpg

oAPMSjCn3jqcddpoWjXDmx6To1_400.jpg

(linking off of my posterous, let me know if you can't see it and I'll wrestle them onto a real server somewhere)

Last edited:
Back