• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Redblock Flow Test Results

Here is a link to results for a 405 head with standard valve sizes. CFM results on left are for standard head and on right after modification including some manly valves in standard size. As I say I am pretty sure you multiply results shown by 1.67 to convert to 28inches to match results shown in post above. If this is the case then the results shown for 12.5 lift are 196.39 for Inlet and 128.59 for outlet

Well new head is on and car is tuned ready for shakedown. We have chosen to run with the H cam and the head has been flowed to handle just under 200 HP. We have to run CIS K jet and exhaust manifold so plenty of other bottlenecks before head will run out of steam. We have fitted an adjustable timing gear to help with setup for different tracks but for present have just set it at 1 degree advanced.

Would be great to be able to upsize the exhaust valve size at least but we cant so no point complaining. Head has been ported and fitted with custom manley valves with valve seats done to match.

In interests of sharing here are flow figures before and after head porting and valve choice etc. Before on left after on right. He wanted balance to be better but restrictions of standard exhaust valve does not assist at all. Note readings are at 10 Inches and I believe to convert to 28 Inches you multiply numbers by 1.67. Valves sizes standard

photo2%203.jpg

Attempting to get car dynoed before shakedown to ensure we are not running lean throughout the range and to get a HP rating on the new setup.

These are some figures from 2006:

Stock 1000531 cylinder head:

Intake:
6mm lift = 127,5 Cfm
8mm lift = 165,7 Cfm
10mm lift = 173,5 Cfm
12mm lift = 173,4 Cfm
14mm lift = 170,3 Cfm

Exhaust:
6mm lift = ?
8mm lift = 130,1 Cfm
10mm lift = 136,2 Cfm
12mm lift = 144,9 Cfm
14mm lift = 144,9 Cfm

Modified 1000531 cylinder head:

Intake:
6mm lift = 133,1 Cfm
8mm lift = 171,0 Cfm
10mm lift = 196,7 Cfm
12mm lift = 206,8 Cfm
14mm lift = 206,8 Cfm

Exhaust:
6mm lift = 140,5 Cfm
8mm lift = 159,0 Cfm
10mm lift = 165,9 Cfm
12mm lift = 174,0 Cfm
14mm lift = 176,2 Cfm

Measurements were made with a pressure of 28" inches of water.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=70341

Edit: Ok, it seems this data was already posted.

Last edited:
The 405 head Gary referred to as tested that he will have on his sheet has before and after flow test results. Gary has it for his sheet. Great to see all the different tests.

It would be interesting to see the flow results with reshaped chambers.

Thanks Dave! Yeah, it would be interesting to see some chamber numbers indeed. Still gotta get the stuff Bryce posted up on my sheet, and call the shop, see when mine will be done.

What does a shop charge for this service? I'm seeing plans on the internet to build your own flow bench. Is it real that you could build your own bench for about the cost of a shop to test your head?

Yes you can build something to test flow with. Building something to be able to compare results with other testing is something yet again. You would want to use something that is accurate to the same pressure testing as industry standard testing methods to be able to have comparable results.

I don't doubt my ability to build test equipment that gives comparable results. What I don't know is if it's cost effective. There's one place near me that has a flow bench. They're closed today. I will check on the cost for an 8v and a 16v and report back

The flow testing I had done wasn't cheap but it wasn't horrible expensive. A flow test on the 531 after mods with and without manifolds was $95 and before and after testing on the 405 was $140. This was ten years ago.

Nope. I didn't get a chance to call the guy yesterday, will try and call him tomorrow, find out when he plans to do it. He said a week and we're closing in on 2 months...

That's a great site with a lot of great information. Sure wish he would have credited D&F performance with my info. I am fine with him using my info but D&F should get credit for their work. I now have over 50k miles on the ported 405. Well worth it after driving it all these years.

Bump! Post what you have, Gary!

I may have some numbers soon, hopefully. A very shaved and chamber opened up 405 with stock valves and ports(as far as I’ve seen without pulling valves yet) and a big valve 530 with port work only(so far).

Back