• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 940 in-radiator temperature switch

hunterkent

so i have the factory electric fan in my 1991 940 removed and replaced with an after-market electric fan. it is hooked up to the factory wiring and i just connected the 2 wires that hook to the sensor in the radiator to each other so the fan always runs when the car is running.
My question is, do they make a sensor that kicks in at a lower temp? say around 180 degrees so that the fan doesn't run constantly ? i think it is set up to be an overheat fan and I think it will let it get to hot before the fan turns on.

ok i guess mine does push in...so there actually is a lower temperature rating sender i can press in there so the fan wont kick on till the cars is warm ?

Correct. The regina e-fan cars use a temp switch in the radiator 1992+. I have one such sensor I bought new. I think it is a push-in type that pushes in that rubber bushing thing that is on the OE plastic radiators.

I'd guess 2manyturbos has a regina parts car, but whether he has a plug to plug the hole that removing that sensor from an otherwise perfectly good PITA to find when you need it e-fan radiator, I don't know, and that might kill the deal.

So to clarify, a Regina e-fan car (93 940) has the fan kicked on by an external switch in the radiator, but not the Regina ecu?

Upon further inspection of or 93 940 regina, it seems that the high speed (white/black) is only turned on by the push in temp switch in the radiator. Almost seems like an overheating switch to me because it’s nearly 220F.

Additionally, the low speed (blue/black) seems to be only triggered by the 'low pressure sensor' located in the ac condenser. So the fan will actually only come on low speed with the ac on after the compressor has run for a minute or so and built pressure. It will remain off on the highway.

I will need to look closer to see if Regina has anything to do with the fans or if it is only the external switches.

Upon further inspection of or 93 940 regina, it seems that the high speed (white/black) is only turned on by the push in temp switch in the radiator. Almost seems like an overheating switch to me because it?s nearly 220F.

Additionally, the low speed (blue/black) seems to be only triggered by the 'low pressure sensor' located in the ac condenser. So the fan will actually only come on low speed with the ac on after the compressor has run for a minute or so and built pressure. It will remain off on the highway.

I will need to look closer to see if Regina has anything to do with the fans or if it is only the external switches.

I was wondering this same thing with my new to me 92 with regina,please follow up with what you find.thanks

I was wondering this same thing with my new to me 92 with regina,please follow up with what you find.thanks

As posted above, and according to the wiring diagram, I believe all (both) speeds are controlled externally. The low speed (blue/black) is controlled only by the pressure switch in the radiator. So low speed will never come on without the ac on. Then high speed (black/white) is controlled by the temp switch in the passenger side of the rad. It comes on around maybe 216-220F. Far too high IMO so I’m adding a manual override switch to the low speed. I do not think they make a lower temp switch in the rad but I haven’t looked too hard.

@bobxyz I have already been studying the wiring diagram but they put Regina and lh2.4 cars on the same page. It makes it somewhat confusing.

Seems to me that the ecu controlled fans are only lh2.4. That’s why it says (ex Regina) next to it I guess. Perhaps this means “except Regina”.

Back