• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting and running fine till warmed up.. then sputtering to death.

rom

So 1989 244 will run just fine till it's heated up.. then after it's heated up for a little while, it sputters and dies unless i'm driving at freeway speeds. then i let it cool down for a bit and it does the same thing again... i can't seem to figure out what it is, the car has been running rich for a month, the fuel relay is brand new, the plugs/wires/dizzy cap is new, oil is fine. i was getting ready to replace the temp sensor for the computer (figuring thats what was causing the rich condition)..

i'm a little stuck. any help would be appreciated.

Could be power stage or crank sensor.

Not enough info...does the spark die?

Don?t know yet, i just got her limped home. I was guessing crank sensor. I?ll update with what i find when it?s cooler outside and i can dig into it.

Aside from the suggested ignition issues. The fuel pressure regulator caused this type of symptom on a friends car when it failed. It failed making the pressure higher than normal which was fine to have it that rich when cold. But when warmed up it would sputter and stale eventually you could not start it till it was cooled off.

Aside from the suggested ignition issues. The fuel pressure regulator caused this type of symptom on a friends car when it failed. It failed making the pressure higher than normal which was fine to have it that rich when cold. But when warmed up it would sputter and stale eventually you could not start it till it was cooled off.

I may just try that. Fpr?s are cheap and easy to swap. Couldn?t hurt to have a new one.

Can almost assure you it’s either the coolant temp sensor. Or the O2 sensor. Both control fueling and both act different under different temp situations.

When the engine is cold it needs a richer mix. If the coolant temp sensor has failed it won’t tell the computer to lean back out once the engine gets to operating temp. This will cause it to flood and die. I had lots of trouble with this.

The O2 also tells the computer to lean or Richen the mixture depending on the readings it gets from The exhaust. If this fails it can also cause the engine to run pig rich

We?ve got a winner. Still seemingly had the original 1989 volvo fpr age welded to the fuel hose. She?s running smoothly now, new fpr, new hose, no stalling out.

Back