• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Restomodair Upgraded AC

Hutch.

I live in Savannah GA, and I can?t take my 240?s terrible AC anymore.

Anyone use an aftermarket AC system? I was looking at restomodair?s stuff. I?m no expert in HVAC but it seems like all you?d need to go with their kit is a compressor, maybe something more modern/efficient than what?s in the Vo.

I have searched pretty extensively for examples on TB but it looks like most people upgrade their OE systems. I?m not looking to dump anymore money in the stock AC. All new stuff or I?ll just keep the windows down.

-Hutch

Good luck, tear everything apart, remove all the parts that fit, hack universal parts into places that don't fit them, and cobble a half assed solution that doesn't work better than factory.

I’m no expert in HVAC
clearly
but it seems like all you’d need to go with their kit is a compressor, maybe something more modern/efficient than what’s in the Vo.
and..confirmed.

least work:windows
most work: vnitage air

smart way: do it right

do you have a belly pan?
how is your fan clutch?
radiator shroud?

Best advice, remove dash, install 1993 HVAC module, install custom parrallel flow condenser, find a modern compressor, modify it and fabricobble brackets and pulley, make custom refrigerant lines, and enjoy cool air for 10x the price of a craiglist camry with working AC.

I have a feeling that windows are just the right thing for you, the vintage air "solution" is not a real option.

When I pulled the 5.0L out of mine in the fall of '15 and put in a new LS3, I also ripped out all the OEM HVAC and installed a Classic Auto Air street rod III universal system. Dave Barton has taken a similar approach out in TX. I get 36F air on a 90F day - very pleased with results. Finally, AC that works in my 240. Pic below you can see the controls and a portion of the fan intake. Sanden 5 cylinder compressor; all electronic controls including the heater control valve; contemporary stacked 15"x21" condenser.

I put Classic Auto Air in my Camaro and I absolutely LOATHE AND DESPISE it. It's pathetic.

What's wrong with your stock a/c? Why not fix it? It works fine in my 1991 245 in Columbia, SC.

LOL -- big difference between OEM a/c in 82 and 91 -- you don't know that? Besides - hook it up to different compressor than it was designed for, then convert it to 134, and it just keeps getting worse. Besides that, contemporary condensers are MUCH MUCH better than the ones they were using 36 years ago. None of the European makes had stellar a/c in the early 80's - it's my belief they simply didn't engineer for hot/humid SE summers. Can't help you with your Camaro - mine works great and MUCH MUCH better than the oem system ever did.

Sweet, great pictures. I was hoping someone had practical experience with these type systems in Volvos.

I just want to try something different. Instead of fixing the stock AC (again) and making it blow cool, maybe there is an aftermarket system out there that can freeze me out. Then again, maybe not. Worth a shot though right?

http://www.240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html#classicair

I shared my experience with Dave and he decided to give it a try as well.

^^^Definitely. Thank you Michael.
Some 240 owners can get their Volvo systems to work really well. Especially the later 1991-93 systems. Not me. I tried for over 10 years with my '84 and now I'm happy with the aftermarket setup. It's not perfect, but it does what it needs to where it counts. At idle I get a consistent 53-54 degree drop at the vents from outside ambient. A highway speed I get 68-74 degree drop. Most recently got a steady 31-32 degree vent temp at 55 mph with hellish 105 degree outside ambient.
Dave B.

Shoot Wren a pm. He converted my 90 over to 134a like 6 years ago now using parts from a 93 240. He's in Athens so he's semi local to you too.

I also vote for a 93 setup, it's all bolt in, and I get 30 degree temps with an Enviro safe charge on 100+ days here in CA central valley in my 1980 240!

3lRYKb4l.jpg

I know there are people on the board with a lot of disposable income... and if you wanted to spend $1000 to $1600 on new AC system I don't see anything wrong with that... more power to you.

OP... when's the last time you pulled a vacuum on the ac system? Does it hold a vacuum? Can you pinpoint where the leaks if any are in the system? I just took an 89, cleaned it out, poured in the correct amount of new oil, evacuated, added the right amount of134 and it's cold like a champ.

If I have to do this on my car (an 84) I'd pull the entire system from a 91+

HF has vacuum pumps for $100 and r134a gauges for $60. Walmart has r134a for like 5 bucks a can. If I can do it, so can you.

I get 36 degrees from the same version with industrial esr12 and a 56 dollar Ebay parallel condenser. I have a 90 240

Back