• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M47 Transmission Fluid Choices

Why would your fuel economy change? Change in frictional constant!?!? :lol:

More likely, you will imagine an improvement in mpg because you think you've found the holy m47 grail!

I am hoping! :lol: It will probably go down..oh well. Nice to know the SUPERDUPER fluid still exists for "cheap", though :cool:

How much smoother? Like "new fluid" smoother?.... or "OMG, like a new transmission" smoother? :lol:

-Ryan

Well, the Redline MTL that was in there had <5,000 miles on it (pulled the trans on Saturday to resolve a "clicking noise" and drained the fluid *again* - we think, after all that, it was a poor clutch cable install. :pow:), so any noticeable difference in shifting "ease" is a genuine difference between the two new fluids, not the difference between "old" and "new".

I am not a professional driver - but the car definitely *feels* and shifts smoother than Redline. No, not "OMG new transmission" smoother lol. I wasn't exactly looking for "smoother" shifts in the first place - just trying to buy the *right* fluid, and already had an order from Tasca lined up. Feels great though - I now know what it means when they say "shifts like butter".

Mike

I'll have to order some. For me it's been a long time coming and knew better, just couldn't get my hands on the good stuff.
I wouder how it'll do to smooth out my sloppy 350k mile M47. I've got 60k miles on the MTL now and it has synchro issues, but they are not worn.

I'll have to order some. For me it's been a long time coming and knew better, just couldn't get my hands on the good stuff.
I wouder how it'll do to smooth out my sloppy 350k mile M47. I've got 60k miles on the MTL now and it has synchro issues, but they are not worn.

Since it's about time (@15,000) to change my M47 trans fluid I may try the OEM trans lube.
And see if I notice any improvement over Royal Purple Syncro Max trans lube.

What you describe is a classic case of an M47 shifting with either a worn clutch or cable needing adjustment, or both. As the clutch gets older, the T/O bearing is engaged a bit, causing th4e input shaft to spin and the syncros not matching speeds, and as it gets hot the clutch disc spins more.
It could be worn transmission parts, but would check the clutch operation first.

+1 and always keep in mind *that clutch cables stretch with use (from new) & is also usually subject to expansion/contraction as ambient temps change drastically*, and can need yearly adjustments to compensate.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but am wondering how the "new" Volvo fluid is working out for you guys? I am going to change the fluid in my '87 245 soon. I have run Mobil 1 Dexron synthetic ATF for the past 100K, changing between 30-50K, and no problems. Ran this in several other 240's for 125K in one and 260K in another with no issues. Mobil, however, changed it to "universal" ATF, and I won't use it. Want to try the "new" stuff. My big issue is cold weather. We can get below zero here in the winter. I rarely drive the 245 in that cold of temperature anyhow, especially since they salt the roads up here... The car never sees snow or salt!

Know of a dead T-5 equipped Redblock in the Midwest?

I'm curious, too, "old thread" or not. I'd really like to know what the varying believers/ disbelievers decided after some time went by.

I've only just now seen anything believable about the magic OEM fluid.
When I first heard of it, I ASSumed it was a snake oil ploy. It appears to both have some merit- as well as become more reasonably priced. I'll probably flush a couple times with cheap until the crud is washed out and fluid is pristine.

The car of that era for me was a NA '86 744. I just wanted to freshen the fluids after buying the car. Redline might have helped; but since the fluid in there was nasty, probably anything would have helped. What if I'd not cared to do it is what I'm glad about.

Now, many years later, since my torque gains are limited by my pocketbook, and a T-5 isn't radical expensive; but an ALMOST plug and play M46 or M-47 might make my '90 745T more fun and less thirsty for junkyard cheap.

Which one; M46? Cast iron only? M-47?
If I can't actually drive the donor, are there telltale signs of one less abused, other than bearing/shaft play and gear chunks when the drain plug is pulled? I'll open it up tentatively to look for obvious wear- but I'm not a pro anymore, and never really was inside but just a very few. What to look for?

I may never do a real burnout; though I've heard my habit of aggressive engine braking can lunch an OEM box. I'm pretty easy on equipment, except for backing into corners on occasion- but that's FAIRLY rare. I did it more often than I would now, with the prior M46- but greasy tires and box stock didn't tax any parts. I also sold it shortly, too. Am I inviting disaster? I spent a little time around trucks, so I won't be grinding while shifting- but...

Or, am I going to the same work and expense, especially if a local T-5 could be cheap- there's still that adaptor expense.
Anyone in the Midwest want to be rid of their T-5 swap? If it were reasonably dirt cheap; I might just drive to you and pull it all myself- if that would help get out of an abandoned project.

If its just a daily driver, rare sporting modes, zero racing- but pulling the occasional light trailer or short distance parts cars- WHICH MANUAL IS BEST for a B230FT in a '90 745T?
Insights? Are there better box options? I'll probably never achieve 300 HP.

Got about 20k on the Volvo fluid now, shifts smooth and no grinding of synchro's which happened with the MTL after 50k. There's 360k on the M47 now, still doing fine. I took it across the USA for a 5500 mile romp, ran flawlessly.

I drive it up to the top of Sandia Crest 2-3 times a week, and that's taking hairpin corners near redline in 2nd-3rd, at an elevation gain of 6000 ft over 13 mile course on the Crest Highway up then down after a good 10 mile hike. I keep thinking it'll take a dump on one of these romps and kill the M47 but it still lives no matter how hard I drive it.

I will have to say that the Volvo fluid sells today as discussed here in the thread is not the same as what Volvo puts in these lifetime fill of fluid M47's when it left the factory. The factory fluid is absolutely clear, not red, not amber, not brown or anything but crystral clear and odorless. When I recieved the Volvo fluid this past spring, it came from the bottle as a brownish fluid with a disticnt smell of Hypoid gear oil. Although it says it is synthetyic, it smells like hypoid fluid, and suspect that it may not be anything different than the Valvoline Hypoid Durablend gear oil.

Drove it 15 miles highway/city mix today in 3 deg (F) weather. Still shifted nice and smooth, even before warming up. I'm at ~40k miles on the fluid now.

I'm sure there are others who are in colder weather currently - anyone have experience with the "new" OEM fluid in super cold weather?

Drove it 15 miles highway/city mix today in 3 deg (F) weather. Still shifted nice and smooth, even before warming up. I'm at ~40k miles on the fluid now.

I'm sure there are others who are in colder weather currently - anyone have experience with the "new" OEM fluid in super cold weather?

Excellent! I am going to change mine this spring when I replace my clutch. It's parked in the garage for the winter, so it won't be driven much.

I know this thread is getting old, but....

This thread was exactly what I was looking for! I've got my parts all clean and ready to bolt on...switching the 245 from an AW70 to an M47. The AW70 is sweet, but it has an annoying front seal leak and I'm not a fan of autos.
I think I read all the posts, so if I missed something I apologize.
Volvo calls for part#1161645, from this thread...I typed that in and googled it and found Fuchs Sintofluid 75w90. I see Fuchs tankers running around here...I notice it because of the name...uh, yeah, how do you pronounce that one? LOL!
I can't find a local supplier but did find it for $14.50/qt...or was that litre. I ordered it, we'll see.
By the way it did have red/auto trans fluid in it...and no I've never gotten to drive this transmission, got it from a small yard up near Gettysburg, totaled 244, still had all papers in car, found a name, called owner. He was heart broken over his car, but assured me it shifted and drove like a dream, he bought it new and was it's sole driver for 125,000 miles...125,000 on an 88, rings weren't seated!!! I got LOTS of good pieces! So technically it still lives!

Does the "745" fluid now superceed the "645" fluid? I though the "745" was for AWD's?

It doesn't superceed it. But the 645 is non-synthetic, and the 745 is synthetic. If it is a 75w-80, for manual transmissions, it should be good for the M47. Anyone else have experience with this stuff?

Just an update to this thread: I have been doing some research and found that Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w80 is the same oil as the Volvo fluid. I can get this from my supplier, and plan to order a few liters to try out.

Just an update to this thread: I have been doing some research and found that Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w80 is the same oil as the Volvo fluid. I can get this from my supplier, and plan to order a few liters to try out.

So you are thinking that is what Volvo used as the factory fill, "lifetime" synthetic stuff? Not the replacement non-synthetic manual trans fluid they sell now?

So you are thinking that is what Volvo used as the factory fill, "lifetime" synthetic stuff? Not the replacement non-synthetic manual trans fluid they sell now?

Not sure. I kind of doubt it though. Whatever they used back when these were new is probably no longer available anyhow. That said, I think that this stuff is a fine choice. Though I have never had any issues with Type F or Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron (NLA, now some universal type ATF which I will not use...) I want to try out new options. My 265 diesel project seems to have the wrong fluid. It is stiff to shift and overdrive is very delayed engaging and disengaging cold. I suspect someone put regular gear oil in it when the did the clutch (rolls eyes). The guy that had it, and ruined the engine, did a lot of foolish things and rubbish repairs.

Back