• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

164RS project

Can ask VP if they have them, but I kind of doubt it. I can't see the stickers in question om VP's pages (or mabye Im missing them).. When I asked for the numberplate-light for mr BBQ i got the answer "what you see is what we have" but never the less I will ask them.

Edit: Email sent.

Last edited:
We had a good fun day at the garage; plenty of visitors. As well as the residents (164, Scimitar SE5a, Rover P5B 3.9efi, Ginetta G27) we also saw today: Mini Cooper S (non-BMW type) for big valve head fitting, 2 TVR Chimeras (4.0 just visiting, 5.0 for engine work), Porsche 964 (visitor), BMW 318iS (for a clutch) and, last but not least, Thor the 244! Yes, Steve drove himself today, for practice, with me accompanying him, and he drove very well. Thor is a lovely car, riding along in it just makes me grin! It drives just as well as you would expect from looking at it.

090328016.jpg

Anyway, to the 164 work:

Rear axle

Steve removed the axle, trailing arms and handbrake cable. He then stripped all the underseal from the suspension arms.

090328002.jpg

090328005.jpg

090328003.jpg

090328011.jpg

Ancillaries

Still doing up bits and pieces. I always think the details need to be right to get the overall effect

PAS pump & reservior
090328006.jpg

090328008.jpg

090328010.jpg

090328004.jpg

Alternator
090328014.jpg

090328013.jpg

Heater pipe
090328012.jpg

Well that's all for today. I'll be getting prices for my engine parts soon; it will be nice to start the process of getting it rebuilt and upgraded.

Cheers

John & Steve

This makes me want a 164 with a monstar T6... mmmm

Yeah, it would be a good project. Loads of space in the 164 and keeping the straight 6 theme would be good.

Right then, first things first: :urgod:

That is an awesome project that certainly puts mine to shame. :oops:

If you ever get bored you're more than welcome to pop over to Blackpool to show me how to do a job properly!:rockon:

Secondly, have a look at this partslist for the 164 from VP Autoparts.. Page 30 seems to have the decals on it. Roughly 10 SEK to the ? at the moment.

Many thanks for the link.

As for putting yours to shame... I think not! I'm following the 142 build, which is amazing, and the scale of project is totally different. Compared with yours, mine is like a wash and polish!

Anyhow, I might just come over to Blackpool sometime to see your build in the flesh, if that's OK.

Have you tried davebarton? I know he makes a lot of those stickers...?

I've not tried Dave yet but I will do if I need anything custom made.

Cheers

John

This is looking soooo awsome!!!! keep the updates coming please. I am learning soo much from this. I cannont wait to see the final product. You need to do some pretty extensive data figures after its done so that we can all drool even more over it. Awsome work mate!

Just read through the thread - awesome job you're doing!

I had 164E's back in the early 80's - a '73 M410, a 74 auto & a 75 auto - the stick was definitely the most fun!

I have to say, I don't miss the old steering/suspension setup! But as you said IPD bars make a big difference, that was one item I always added!

I love your attention to details - I definitely feel the same way about that - I don't care whether it's visible from the outside, I need to know I did it all. Couldn't you use later F & R covers that use the rubber instead of felt seals ('75 B20, I think?)

Looking forward to the future updates!

Just read through the thread - awesome job you're doing!

I had 164E's back in the early 80's - a '73 M410, a 74 auto & a 75 auto - the stick was definitely the most fun!

I have to say, I don't miss the old steering/suspension setup! But as you said IPD bars make a big difference, that was one item I always added!

Yeah, I don't know why Volvo went with the yachting suspension set-up as standard. They can be massively improved by simple changes, and without spoiling the ride.

I love your attention to details - I definitely feel the same way about that - I don't care whether it's visible from the outside, I need to know I did it all. Couldn't you use later F & R covers that use the rubber instead of felt seals ('75 B20, I think?)

Looking forward to the future updates!

It has rubber seals already.

Cheers

John

I have gotten e-mails back from every vintage volvo store I asked, nobody have those stickers. I think you may have to get them made your self..

I have gotten e-mails back from every vintage volvo store I asked, nobody have those stickers. I think you may have to get them made your self..

Thanks for all the trouble you went to. Much appreciated!

When I've got a list of all the stickers I need, I'll look arounnd the custom places, starting with Dave Barton.

John

When I've got a list of all the stickers I need, I'll look arounnd the custom places, starting with Dave Barton.

You could always re-create the stickers by measuring the dimensions, finding out the font/colours and using something like Adobe Illustrator and taking them to a printers/signwriter?

John

No problem. You can buy a lot of the original stickers still, but not all of them. Vp autoparts and Motoroldies have the best selection of stickers I belive. If you need any help with finding those stickers you need or translating stuff just give me a shout.

Hi there,

Time for a short update:

Gearbox

The box has been checked out and confirmed in good condition. There is a noisy bearing which I think must be in the overdrive, so it's removed & waiting to be checked out.

Painting in progress

090328017.jpg

090328018.jpg

090328019.jpg

Some flatting and refinsihing required becuase the red has reacted in some places with the black underneath.

Fuel tank

Steve removed the tank. Pleased to report no more rust was found!

090328020.jpg

090328021.jpg

Well that's all for now,

John & Steve

Hi

Time for another update.

There is not much to report on because lots of time is still being spent chipping all the old underseal from every nook and cranny of the rear floor. Not really worth putting up photos of this until it's done, but it takes a long time!

Fuel tank

Tank has been cleaned, prepared, primed and painted

090515001.jpg

090515002.jpg

090515005.jpg

Engine bay parts

Work in progress on the air filter box. (It will only be used temporarily, before the supercharger is piped in, but I decided to do it up anyway. Otherwise, it would spoil the look of the engine bay, and I'll hopefully sell it on to another 164E owner when I don't need it.)

090515003.jpg

090515004.jpg

Sump in Volvo satin red engine paint

090515006.jpg

090515007.jpg

Well that's all. Work is still going on, but it's one of those phases when there's not much to show for it!

Thanks

John

By the way, I'm selling my 760 turbo estate to raise funds for the 164, so if anybody knows someone who might be looking, please pass on the info!
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=170090

760002-1.jpg

Nice project! keep up the good work.

Iam concurrently in the middle of a rebuilt of my own 164. I will bolt a Holset to the B30 :p

I heard I could use B21 rods (they are stronger then the 8 bolt B30 ?)
when you use the B21 rods/pistons, are they a drop in? (apart from the pistonpin modification)

Nice project! keep up the good work.

Iam concurrently in the middle of a rebuilt of my own 164. I will bolt a Holset to the B30 :p

I heard I could use B21 rods (they are stronger then the 8 bolt B30 ?)
when you use the B21 rods/pistons, are they a drop in? (apart from the pistonpin modification)

I'm not sure on the B21 rods and pistons. Mine is the earlier non-metric engine and I have decided to use standard rods (I am not using high boost or high revs) and standard pistons with ceramic coating.

Good luck with your project. Are you going to do a project thread?

John

Wow,

Steve pointed me to this thread, Just read the whole thing.

Super quality of work going on there, nice paint scheme for the working parts too.

Nice to know steve has a good mentor with a lot of skills and good standards, I hear his family dont have much history of spannering, he seems a good bloke and very enthusiastic.

Looking forward to more updates.

Mike, John aint about so I'll reply....:-P

Thanks for the comment. John is pretty much aiming for the car to be a mint 164 when finished, but with the performance mods added on top.

John is a good mentor as you say - certainly knows what he is talking about as do the other peeps at the garage. My family do have a history of spannering - my Grandad always serviced my car from new how ever difficult it got, and my Dad is a self employed motorcycle mechanic. You probably got that impression because I told you my Dad is a clean freak (yes, even though he's a mechanic).

AFAIK we'll be working on the 164 again next saturday so there should be more updates then....

By the way Mike, if you are planning on coming to the national BKV at Thoresby hall in June, then me and John will both be there as we're going in my car....

Steve

Back