• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH 2.4 with holset: location of AMM?

Glocksrox18

For my 88 245 with b230ft and LH 2.4

Putting on an hy35w soon and need to know where I could put my 012 AMM. I was going to put it pre turbo but I'd rather stick with a full 4" intake and 3" Intercooler piping. I know some people run their AMM in the Intercooler piping but I wasn't sure if 20+ psi would blow out the AMM or cause the readings to be off and the car to run too lean or rich. Would it be okay for me to put it right after the turbo? On the hot side? Or would pre turbo be best?

The pressure isn't the issue here, as the flow will be similar in either place. Instead, post intercooler it will see hotter air, and may have more contaminants based upon your turbo, motor, etc.

The only real advantage of doing so would be if you wanted to run lh2.4 and a BOV right?

Lh 2.4 works just fine with a bov with the amm mounted in front of the turbo.

I have been running like that for years as have many many many others.

The only reason to run the amm in the IC pipes is if you lack space to put it in front of the turbo.

Myself I have run my amm in front of my holset since 2008 without issues while running a bov since then also.

i run mine pre compressor and a bov and only get a stall condition if i quick blip the throttle in traffic occasionally. i'd rather recirc my bov than run pressure through a 20+ yr old amm. hx35, hks bov, stage 0, nothing else. runs like stock with a scalding iron on its ass. gets 25+mpg as long as i don't wot everywhere.

Lh 2.4 works just fine with a bov with the amm mounted in front of the turbo.

I have been running like that for years as have many many many others.

The only reason to run the amm in the IC pipes is if you lack space to put it in front of the turbo.

Myself I have run my amm in front of my holset since 2008 without issues while running a bov since then also.

But you have an autotranny right?

Yes,

But LH worked with a Tial BOV on a 242 Getrag with 65lb injectors on pump and e85.

And a 244 with lh 2.4, 16v+t, HKS with no IAC and no TPS with a getrag with pump and e85.

and many man others here have ran LH 2.4 with a BOV with an auto or manual with the AMM mounted before the turbo.

Last edited:
yeah.. i know.. it runs.. but you can get some really annoying behaviour if you do so.. not every time but once in a while it will stuck, die on traffic lights and is a PITA to drive in inner city traffic or rushhour trafficjams.

Maybe not in Arizona ;) But in german traffic with much stop and go you really learn to hate open BOVs.. btw.. i had an open crankcasevent together with it.. it just makes things worse.. so if you have a closed crankvent things might be better..

BOV has to be in the tune too. As soon as that air is vented to the atmosphere the engine runs rich, even if for a split second. It's not a big deal in between shifts, but when you really let off is when the period is extended. If the computer can't compensate in time, and the BOV vents too long, the car dies. My MKIII Supra used to do it, and it wasn't until I tuned it on a dyno, that I learned about it from the tuner. He did adjust the BOV and did whatever he did on the dyno, and it never happened again. On the two turbo cars that I have owned, my first one was pre turbo, my supra didnt have one, due to running MAP. Also depends on if it's a pull type, or push type BOV.

BOV has to be in the tune too. As soon as that air is vented to the atmosphere the engine runs rich, even if for a split second. It's not a big deal in between shifts, but when you really let off is when the period is extended. If the computer can't compensate in time, and the BOV vents too long, the car dies. My MKIII Supra used to do it, and it wasn't until I tuned it on a dyno, that I learned about it from the tuner. He did adjust the BOV and did whatever he did on the dyno, and it never happened again. On the two turbo cars that I have owned, my first one was pre turbo, my supra didnt have one, due to running MAP. Also depends on if it's a pull type, or push type BOV.

i would bet the tuning possibilities of a Mk3 ECU are a lil bit bett0r than LH2.4 ;)

The answer is really simple when you think about this:

Is your PCV still connected?

When you drain your intercooler, or look into your inlet piping, notice the oily residue?

Yes,

But LH worked with a Tial BOV on a 242 Getrag with 65lb injectors on pump and e85.

And a 244 with lh 2.4, 16v+t, HKS with no IAC and no TPS with a getrag with pump and e85.

and many man others here have ran LH 2.4 with a BOV with an auto or manual with the AMM mounted before the turbo.

Mike one thing to consider is I find the tial BOVs to be stiffer in my experience than other designs. Some people having trouble may have their BOV set to open to easily.

Back