home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #51
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
Thanks for the tip about the prop shaft mate.
Good for me that 16v head isn't compatible with the b230, keeps me from spending unnecessary money lol.

I began to unplug the B200 last night. Even with -5°C outside, after a full day at work, it is so easy to work on the 240 it is still a pleasure. Lots of room in the engine bay.
Who said that? Many of us are running 16V heads on B230 blocks + turbo. Not that hard to do actually with the right parts.

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #52
kingkong
Board Member

I will see when this 8v setup work properly.

So i made the big order at classicswede. H beam rods, gaskets, TTV 850R billet flywheel and a master cylinder for the M90. I will stick to oem pistons for now.

BUT the best part : i scored a HX35w for 250€ in Poland and that is great news. Can't wait to have it at home next week.

Now i need to figure out what camshaft and springs i need to make nice middle and top end power, and also rev to 7000+ rpm. Goal is 500hp on E85 with supporting mods.
(crazy for me to think that 7000rpm is "high rpm" as i am used to 10k with the rotaries lol)

Last edited by kingkong; 02-09-2017 at 03:27 PM..
kingkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #53
kingkong
Board Member

All right, i red a bit more.

As for the springs, i will shim them. No need to buy expensive fancy springs when using your brain is cheaper. I will shim them to the max my camshaft will allow me, and put the limiter between 7000 and 8000. I will see how it behaves. I am curious to know what valve float sounds like. If anyone wants to chime in.

As for the camshaft, i red more too and now i have a clear view of what LSA is, lift vs duration etc. Coming from the Wankel world, this stuff was non sense for me lol.

I emailed KG and they advised me to use the KG-0004.

Now that i think about it, i still have my B200E which might have a V cam in it. If it does, i will go that way for now.

Concerning the fuel setup, it seems the only aftermarket pump able to withstand my need in terms of power with E85 is the walbro 450lph. Either i'll go this way with 2000cc injectors, or dual in tank rx7 pumps which i know for a fact are very strong and reliable. and cheap as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #54
poulrais
Board Member

If you want an external fuel pump you could go with that:

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Aeromoti...BYmLUo&vxp=mtr

I'm running this one on my car but it's so noisy that I took the radio out of the car!

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Aeromoti...hVchtb&vxp=mtr
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #55
eabras
Board Member

I'm not sure, but believe 1,5 - 2mm about as much as you can shim the springs. At least nobody ever recomends thicker shims.

I've got KG's "gulmärkta" valvesprings. Back in the day the stiffest springs volvo offered where marked with a dab of yellow paint, and kg sells these (or perhaps they just are springs similar to those old ones). If i remember correctly it's actually b20 springs. Works good with 30psi and up to 7200rpm.

The kg-004 is about the same as a stock K camshaft. If you can call a stock cam wild, this is the runner up in volvos lineup of performace cams for n/a motors.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:51 AM   #56
kingkong
Board Member

Thanks poulrais.

eabras : ok good to know, great info thanks.

I just checked : i got an A cam in the b200E. Fuk. I gotta choose between an A and a T cam.
According to the lift and duration, i'll go with the A for now. Once it is running, i will see how much moneyz i have left for a cam.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #57
kingkong
Board Member

Spacer for the prop shaft is nearly done. 50mm thick.

And look who came in the mail today

Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 AM   #58
kingkong
Board Member

Woot woot !!

Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #59
VQ
Not such a PRVert Anymore

Very nice. Good choice on the pistons. Make sure the block is machined and matched with the head to have tight squish with the head gasket installed. Reducing the chance of detonation is worth it.

hellastock
Speed Bumps? No Problem.

264 GLE RIP
88 740T wagon
1964 122s

88 760GLE
VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 AM   #60
kingkong
Board Member

Thanks man. I will skim the head for flatness purpose really.
It seems everybody on here is concerned with detonation. I guess it has to do with the fact that most people put plug n play chips in their ECU, that will mostly not be on par with their setup.
I am going E85 and megasquirt so i am pretty confident detonation wont ever be a problem. But thanks for the warning.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 AM   #61
VQ

No, have you looked into the theory for tight squish? It affects all motors and is about reducing the chance of error, having a clearance of under .40' forces more of the flame front into the head and you can run more compression and boost. In a nutshell. It's common to do with v8s and every race motor done professionally also.

Because plenty of people on here actually like to optimise thier engine as much as possible so they only need to turn the boost up to make more power, not compensate for a bad engine build.

The fact you are spent years to put a rotary into a Mazda mx5 says you're not exactly that great as they fall in and are pretty common. So while people who run too much boost on stock computers may worry about squish and detonation, everyone else who uses megasquirt or far more expensive ecus also worry about those factors as they are always real.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:25 AM   #62
kingkong
Board Member

Never said "i am great" or whatever but you are being a dick for no reason.
I didn't say TB'ers are stupid. I said that you guys started tuning these engine way before programmable ECU's allowed us to safely run crazy turbo setups. and to me that made some people paranoid with detonation (and they were right to be !).

It took me two years with the miata because the engine is heavily modified to sustain 10k rpm all day long and that includes drilling big ass intake holes right into the rotor housings.
But what do i know ?

I am aware about the squish theory. To each his own but i am not looking for the last extra HP. And detonation wise, i repeat : E85 is very very forgiving.

Now, as i am not sold on what agressive cam i will put in down the road, flattening the head will be enough for now.

Thanks for your input anyway.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #63
cosbySweater
Board Member

Don't read to far into it, myself and others on here have run in the mid 300s to the wheels reliably with chipped computers.
1994 Corvette, 6speed, PNP special

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
How come we get a Cosby sweater but no Boner in sweatpants in this thread?
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #64
VQ

The thing is, you're talking 15 years ago when "advanced" computers were less common. Squish theory has been around longer, but didn't become relevant until people started using megasquirt etc.

Bridge ported 13b? Once again, not realy a big deal, Australia has some of the fastest rotaries that go down the quarter. There are companies here that do the work for the fastest guys too.

Yes e85 is forgiving, but the thing is apart! Not hard to dummy measure it and check it can be close with a little bit more machining. But it's your engine that won't be built to best practices...

Also, if you set your timing wrong you won't hear it knock with e85. Maybe not that forgiving? http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=610

Last edited by VQ; 02-28-2017 at 08:34 AM..