home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 09-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
VolvoGLT
Board Member

Default Volvo 244s with tinted windows

My 244 is getting really hot in the summer (no A/C) and I want to tint the windows. Preferably all (side and rear) windows with the same shade - don't really like the look of having the front side windows lighter than in the rear.
Do you have some pictures? Car should remain street legal so not too dark. Not sure what shade/color (green, grey, blue) I should pick...

Thanks
VolvoGLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
impolvo
Is always busy

It depends what your laws are so I did 20% on the very back window rear windshield and then 35% on all my other windows as 35 is as dark as legal in North Carolina on a car
But if you still want to be able to see well and it’s legal in your area 20% all the way around is great

I’ve also done 5% on all the windows except for the front windshield and you had to roll down the window in the front to see behind you to back upBut at the time I was younger and dumber
In the 262s I have now I have gotten the passenger side air vent for the foot well and install that and relocated the ECU
Well worth it
Thats why you get a mans car... A 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidponymilk View Post
You people keep crushing them, you're going to run out eventually.
impolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
impolvo
Is always busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by impolvo View Post
It depends what your laws are so I did 20% on the very back window rear windshield and then 35% on all my other windows as 35 is as dark as legal in North Carolina on a car
But if you still want to be able to see well and itís legal in your area 20% all the way around is great

Iíve also done 5% on all the windows except for the front windshield and you had to roll down the window in the front to see behind you to back upBut at the time I was younger and dumber
In the 262s I have now I have gotten the passenger side air vent for the foot well and install that and relocated the ECU
Well worth it
I will say that car is with 20% in the back and 35 on the sides you canít really tell the difference to the point that Iíve never had a problem with inspection
But the inspection stations only have the tent tester that works on windows I can roll down some places have the two peas and could test a rear window if they wanted to
impolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #4
2turbotoys
Astro Zombie

I did a 20% all the way around before and didn't get any hassle about it, even though it wasn't legal to do the front windows. Even a light tint will greatly improve the inside temps. I never got any crap about it in 10 years. The cops here tint their windows often also, so it is hard for them to accuse me of something they do on a regular basis.

A darker tint on the rear can be annoying when backing up after dark.

One thing I do know, if you get pulled over by the cops, roll the fronts down, turn interior light on, and put your hands on the steering wheel. I always went to inspection with the front windows rolled down as well, just in case.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:10 AM   #5
mblue240
Board Member

This is 33% with the carbon ceramic upgrade to block out heat. 35% is legal here, so I'm pushing it on this one. The upgrade is definitely worth it though.

20200702_170659 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

This is the basic film my shop uses and is 35%. In pics they look about the same, but in real life the 244 is noticeably (not a ton though) darker. I personally don't want to go darker because it makes visibility worse anytime the sun isn't up, so 75% of the time here in the PNW.

20200605_151018 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:38 AM   #6
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

You can have a high quality clear ceramic film that would reject nearly as much heat.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
VonHeckinger
Board Member

35% is fine, 20% or no tint is my preference. I have been ticketed for 20% up front, but would do it again in a heartbeat.
VonHeckinger is offline   Reply With Quote