• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Replacing the Heater Core Firewall Port - Volvo 240

Excellent video as always, top notch filming and description of removal, installation, and problems faced. A truly great addition to the knowledge base on this great car, thanks Alex.

I replaced the heater valve when I did this (angled version for LS swaps), because my original one had stuck on (lever moved, valve didn't).

So.. if you're doing all that work - I'd suggest replacing that. And all the other hoses inside. They don't get all the heat/oil/ozone that stuff under the hood gets, but they're still getting older.

PS: Your PS pump really wiggles around a lot!

I just replaced my heater ports and your video definitely made it look like a cakewalk. My hoses were glued on from both ends and needed some careful prying with hose removal picks to get free from the ports. Additionally when installing the new port it seemed that the top hose on the cabin side was not able to be fitted without being slightly twisted against the heater box housing. I’m wondering if slight trimming would be necessary, although I will be installing the wagonmeister heater valve soon so I can worry about that then. Other than that the video was perfect for showing exactly how to do it!

I laughed at the spaghetti of wires that fell out when you pulled out the sound deadening panel. Very succinct, nicely done but yeah replace those hoses.

use aluminum foil to cover carpet, and channel spilled coolant into rags/papertowels.

the STS part is nice, but beware that on 1993 and perhaps on all 240 with factory plastic heater valves, the lower? interior pipe is angled, necessitating replacement of the hose with a slightly longer one. have a length of nice quality replacement hose on hand for best results.

this might be what estate man is speaking of

use aluminum foil to cover carpet, and channel spilled coolant into rags/papertowels.

the STS part is nice, but beware that on 1993 and perhaps on all 240 with factory plastic heater valves, the lower? interior pipe is angled, necessitating replacement of the hose with a slightly longer one. have a length of nice quality replacement hose on hand for best results.

this might be what estate man is speaking of

Definitely need some rags to keep the coolant off your carpet. On my 88 with the older style valve the plastic casing above the heater valve is what seems to be interfering with the hose. I'll try to get some pics when I change my heater valve in the future.

I've since fixed my PS Pump and cleaned up my wires under the dash, lol

I replaced the heater hoses on the engine-side as well as every other hose, including thermostat and performed a coolant flush.

My heater valve seems to be functioning properly but it sounds like it might be a good idea to replace that as well as the 2 heater hoses on the cab-side for preventive maintenance?

I've since fixed my PS Pump and cleaned up my wires under the dash, lol

I replaced the heater hoses on the engine-side as well as every other hose, including thermostat and performed a coolant flush.

My heater valve seems to be functioning properly but it sounds like it might be a good idea to replace that as well as the 2 heater hoses on the cab-side for preventive maintenance?

Just don't buy that crappy MTC retrofit valve, it'll die and puke coolant all over the interior of your car...

Options on valve:

Wagonmeister Valve

EuroPartsHouse Valve

Or find a NOS Volvo one which will be really spendy...

And here's the piece of junk to avoid

Back