• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Radiator questions

CaliMeatWagon

Cause of Head Scratching
I grabbed a BlackStone radiator in very good condition from the junk yard today and I have some questions about it. It came from a 91 740 (same as mine), but what I noticed was that it has a different style temp sensor. The one I originally had was the screw in type. The one on the new radiator seems to be a press in type and one I pulled the wires off from the sensor it kinda popped apart. I can reassemble it and it is quite difficult to pop back apart, but I want to know if this is going to create any issues. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_20130527_170117_zps818fce5e.jpg

IMG_20130527_165840_zps65114f19.jpg

That's why many of them are... wait for it...

Zip tied :lol:

No seriously, this is prolly the main place to use a zip tie on a Volvo.

Well one of the first 10? :-P

Forget the zip ties. That sensor is toast, but you'll need to make sure the hole is plugged and the sensor body doesn't just fall out, (which they do) ensuring a major PITA highway failure w/coolant loss, use glue to secure it in the rubber gromet.
Goop it up generously;-)

If you really need a sensor there, get a new one. Check the rating of the sensor as AFIK the 940's that had that sensor for the e-fan was used a temp extreme safety turn-on and the one for a 740 aux fan will trip at a lower temp. i.e. the one's that fit/come in them are very high temp trip, and you don't want one of those.

Thank you guys. So when I go exchange this at Pick-n-Pull, when car should I grab one from? What would be a bolt on upgrade from stock? This is going in my "fun" car I'm fixing up, so I want something that can do the same job or better and I want to retain the use of the stock temp gauge.

Buy a nissens rad. Toss that one .prosper. that one says blackstone on it? Or buy the all metal rad I have 4 sale

The Nissens rad uses a screw on sensor. Look for one of these.

NissensRadiator.jpg

240's use the same rad BTW.

Last edited:
Back