• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Look at those tiny brakes. I bet they can't even stop the car.

Who needs brakes when you have jackstands?

I took this week off, so I hope to make a decent bit of headway. Tonight's progress:

Cleaned and prepped
IMG_4059.JPG

Masked
IMG_4063.JPG

Painted
IMG_4072.JPG

and ready for the next step!
IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

I'm enjoying this build. Keep up the great work.

Looks great, Tom.

Thanks, guys!

Managed a solid day of progress, and I'm pretty happy with how things are coming along.

Dash is in (kind of). The flocking is definitely doing it for me.
IMG_4170.JPG

I ran most of the chassis wiring today--perhaps I'll finish that tomorrow and start thinking about where I want to mount things. I'm trying to keep it pretty tidy and not have too much stuff in the bay.

Front suspension is also in, aside from a few touches here and there.

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

And the unintentionally blingy alternator.
IMG_4179.JPG

I had some other things show up in the mail today that I forgot to take pictures of, so I'll likely toss up a quick update tomorrow as well.

what did you use to flock your dash?

I used this kit: http://www.flockit.com/index.php/pr...nced-nylon-mini-flocker-kit-nylon-fibers.html

For the price, I couldn't resist trying it out. If I were to do it again (which I would), I would use a roller or hvlp to apply the adhesive. I think it's just one of those things that you have to do a couple times to get down.

In other news, a package showed up from AZ yesterday. I'm pretty excited at the prospect of being rid of the limp-wristed m47.

IMG_4199.JPG

I really like where your taking my old 242 I'm really glad it went to you. Everything seems so well placed and thought out. I'm excited to see it on the road again with a volvo power plant. The dash and enginebay really set the car off well. Is that adapter plate steel?! Looks steelishh in the picture.

Looks great so far. Did the flocking cover up the grain pattern in the dash, or did you have to sand and/or fill it to keep it from showing through?

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I really like where your taking my old 242 I'm really glad it went to you. Everything seems so well placed and thought out. I'm excited to see it on the road again with a volvo power plant. The dash and enginebay really set the car off well. Is that adapter plate steel?! Looks steelishh in the picture.

Thanks, Brian. I'm trying to do a pretty good job all-around with the car. I'm being fairly picky, but still trying to keep things moving along as to not get bogged down and lose sight of the goal.

The adapter plate is aluminum, but it's dirty--hence the steelish appearance.

Looks great so far. Did the flocking cover up the grain pattern in the dash, or did you have to sand and/or fill it to keep it from showing through?

Yes, the flocking hides the grain of the dash.

I didn't sand or fill to get rid of the grain, but I did a lot of repair work on various areas of the dash (which involved sanding and filling) and I haven't noticed any difference in the final flocked product between the repaired areas and the 'original finish' areas.

Now I need to figure out all the trans swap stuff. What clutch and PP to run? Should I convert to a hydraulic clutch or run my brand new clutch cable I have sitting here? Decisions. Research. Dumb luck. Etc.

Last edited:
Still thinking it'll be on the road by spring? You seem to really be moving along. In the grand scheme of things your not to far away from compleation.

That's the plan. I have a lot to do yet, and a decent number of large purchases to make so we'll see how quick I can get it done.

Once it's running and driving I'm sure I'll have a lot more tinkering to do to get everything sorted out properly.

Back