• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cable vs E throttle

Hank Scorpio

Chubfest 2009 Survivor
300+ Club
In the planning stages still but was curious peoples experiences if anyone’s used an electronic throttle body with their setups instead of cable. For my t5 and t6 the upside would be:

1. Literally a bolt on throttle body since that’s what the intake manifold was designed for.
2. Simplified idle setup, no idle motor needed.
3. No cable to mess with

The downside is:
1. Tuning?
2: ties a lot of input and outputs up.

Figured some of you tuning ls1s might have a little experience with it.

Last edited:
Art (elpress) just did a stock ME7 ethrottle on his 242 T5 swap this year. He's running MaxxECU and from what I recall, it was pretty straightforward once he got the pedal worked out.

JJfab, located in Chicagoland-ish, are dealers for MaxxECU (as well as a bunch of other stuff). Reach out to Justus (justlie on here) for more info.

Art (elpress) just did a stock ME7 ethrottle on his 242 T5 swap this year. He's running MaxxECU and from what I recall, it was pretty straightforward once he got the pedal worked out.

JJfab, located in Chicagoland-ish, are dealers for MaxxECU (as well as a bunch of other stuff). Reach out to Justus (justlie on here) for more info.

Perfect. I?m pretty set on the maxxecu as well and it looks like I can just use the Volvo e pedal to make it all work.

brett is also a dealer, and working on a very similar setup in his R, you may ping him as well.

brett is also a dealer, and working on a very similar setup in his R, you may ping him as well.

Brett been pushing me for a few months to move over to MaxxEcu and my main concern was keeping the stock E-throttle and says its pretty straight forward to wire up.

As Tom mentioned. I have MaxxECU with E Throttle in my whiteblock swapped 242 using a stock S60R throttle body.
Idle control is fantastic with a click of a button in the software. Pedal to throttle response (which I was a little skeptical about) is also great. No lag whatsoever. 10/10 would recommend.

I got my unit as mentioned also by Tom from Justus (justlie) at JJFab.

If You got questions, post them up. I can post pics as needed also.

Its a cake to wire in and setup. I can help you out and get you hooked up on a unit if you need it. I am wiring one up right now with a mitsubishi lancer pedal (two analog in required). The Volvo pedals require a analog and digital (backup signal) for the pedal, which sucks cause there aren't many available on most units. I can supply adapter plates too for the pedals.

-Justus

Thanks everyone for the info!

Its a cake to wire in and setup. I can help you out and get you hooked up on a unit if you need it. I am wiring one up right now with a mitsubishi lancer pedal (two analog in required). The Volvo pedals require a analog and digital (backup signal) for the pedal, which sucks cause there aren't many available on most units. I can supply adapter plates too for the pedals.

-Justus

How about the Chevy e pedal? Doesn?t really have to be the Volvo pedal. Btw I assume if I?m going t6 and 4l80e AND e throttle I should be looking at the Race ecu just for the extra in/outputs right? I?ll be hitting you up for a price probably in the next month or so.

Thanks everyone for the info!

How about the Chevy e pedal? Doesn?t really have to be the Volvo pedal. Btw I assume if I?m going t6 and 4l80e AND e throttle I should be looking at the Race ecu just for the extra in/outputs right? I?ll be hitting you up for a price probably in the next month or so.

Correct, at a minimum you would have to look at the Race unit. I'll have to review the transmission cabling requirements, I don't know those of the top of my head, but that transmission should be supported. I know that the corvette pedal is supported, there are some weird Chevy pedals around, some do direct CAN I think, that may take a bit of work.

I have the street unit on a 6cyl BMW and I have used up all the input/outputs. If you can send me a list of sensors and equipment you want to control from the ECU, I can put that against a list of IOs.

Correct, at a minimum you would have to look at the Race unit. I'll have to review the transmission cabling requirements, I don't know those of the top of my head, but that transmission should be supported. I know that the corvette pedal is supported, there are some weird Chevy pedals around, some do direct CAN I think, that may take a bit of work.

I have the street unit on a 6cyl BMW and I have used up all the input/outputs. If you can send me a list of sensors and equipment you want to control from the ECU, I can put that against a list of IOs.

What?s the best email to reach you at? 4l80 is in their online manual and I?ve found the settings in the software for it. I?m really impressed with MAXXECU for messing around I?ve done with it s far. The price is damn reasonable too.

I look forward to seeing how this works out, been trying to come up with a reason to toss together a maxxecu whiteblock car (have parts R, have a couple spare A341's, and two 242's)

uh.... dangit, what's his name that was running the woodward ecu is using an electronic throttle body iirc.

I'm working on my setup now. I use the Hella pedal that MaxxEcu recommends. It's from some Saab and takes two analog signals instead of the Volvo analog and digital. I picked it because of the similarities to the stock pedal and favorable price.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/HL-93174339

I'm pairing it with a Bosch throttle body and Motec.

0qfasPtl.jpg

xkPYCjTl.jpg

Does the Saab/Maxxecu pedal have a WOT switch/detent section built into it?

Some pedals have a detent near ~80% throttle, and then you can go past that. It's neat for being able to kick in a few extra PSI and you have a tactile feedback for when it happens.

Edit: I guess it's called a "kick-down" detent.

Edit edit:
Now with vibration for your pleasure!
https://www.hella.com/microsite-electronics/en/Feedback-accelerator-pedal-sensor-146.html

Last edited:
This is a timely conversation. I'm over trying to get a good feel out of my 240 pedal/custom cable/960 TB, so I'll probably copy Tate's setup.

I have thought about selling the bracket I made. It's adjustable left and right for people with big feet and forward/aft for different heel toe preferences.

Back