• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Baddest 142 I've ever seen

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
So a friend of mine locally is an excellent machinist, and has been helping me out lately. When I stopped by to test fit some wheels today, he said "Oh hell...I never told you my dad's a Volvo guy!" and took me into the shop off to the side to check this out.

Someone may know the car...it originally came from Oregon.

Motor is a single cam Nissan VG. The owner's son (my friend) made 581hp at the rear wheels using an identical motor setup in his FC RX7, thus the motor choice.

Transmission is a worked over 300ZXTT manual trans, steering is via an adapted Coleman Racing rack and pinion...really a slick design there.

Suspension is full custom coilovers designed and built in-house. It's going to be a really, really awesome car when it's done.

Not sure on turbo choice yet, but it'll run on MS3 or 3x.

Anyhow, on to the pics...

NON2Zyz.jpg

1JATn6V.jpg

Zvw1K17.jpg

4zqyuZ2.jpg

mEF0jSO.jpg

Mounting/Bracket for the steering rack. Tie Rod goes in the hole visible below the alternator.
gKoOj8r.jpg

06wNrBp.jpg

ab9nLQn.jpg

gKUYiGf.jpg

Last edited:
Having ridden in several nissans powered by vgxx engines, I honestly don't understand why he would choose that, but hell, it looks awesome and we mod tractor engines lol

I'm really interested to see this when it's done

You need to get pic's of the underside for that steering rack setup.

Yes, you reallllllly need to!

We thank you!

Awesome looking project so far!

I'd want to see pic's first, but there's been talk from quite a few people on here wanting to do a R&P setup on 140's. Another concern though is with the engine swap as the input shaft looks to run where the stock motor mount is on a B20. Pic's at least would help in the idea generation for us stock motor guys, especially in regards to rack mounting though!

Looks like it's going to be a fun car...

Why so much VG hate here?

Are the motors "that" bad or just better choices for the money/effort?

Looks like it's going to be a fun car...

Why so much VG hate here?

Are the motors "that" bad or just better choices for the money/effort?

They have a stout bottom end but in my experience the heads leave quite a bit to be desired.
Beyond that, I only have the usual complaints about insufficient aftermarket support, temperamental factory EFI and intake manifold gaskets, irritating spark plug location, and a few other issues that probably aren't a concern to someone doing this kind of swap.

From where I stand, there are just better choices for the money and effort of the swap. My VG credentials: http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/OmakZ31/DSC09008-1.jpg (the picture is way cooler than the actual car, so don't ask ;-) )

All of that being said this car looks pretty sweet and when it puts down the usual 400-500hp that well modified VGs put down, it will be a freaking rocket. :rockon: :zeeall:

In my experience (friends with z cars, a 350hp z32 and a stock z31) they are a pita to work on, and suuuuuuper rough, as in not a smooth runner.

Back