• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another Road Trip

Totally forgot about the snow...Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are expecting to still be operating for July 4th weekend this year given the snowpack. :)

Since I have only been on snow skis once, and I like speed, I will pass on the snow. But thanks!

Since you mention that you want to see forests.....

Depending upon your time in Wa, you should drive up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier.

That time of the year, you can make a loop of it rather than one way in/out. Go up HWY7 out of Spanaway and back down HWY123/HWY12 back to I5. Depending upon the weather there may still be some snow. You can have a snowball fight in July. Did that last year. I was up there a couple weekends ago and there is ~12' of snowpack.

The wildly twisty road is a bonus. You go from essentially sea level to 5400 ft in about an hour.
So south to Morton, east to Packwood, north and east to Cliffdell, south and west past Silver Beach?

Sweet!

I wonder if I can work in Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood. Bridge of the gods?

Got two spare rooms and a shop if needed near the Wisconsin dells area. But mostly my neighbors are Amish and quite

Thanks. Taking the weekend off from planning. Took the ferry to south jersey to hit breweries with Pete, my son, daughter in law,and a friend.

When you hit Calgary, I'd make the trip down from Edmonton to meet you/see the cars again.

My dad is still in kamloops. He has had quite. A few tbrickers stay at his place on Thier way through. He is semi retired now though, and might already be away camping. If he's around, he'd likely give you his camper for a night.

Sounds like Ana amazing trip. Have fun.

Jordan

If you need a place to stay in Vancouver, I actually llive in South Surrey 5 miles from the border (Mark would be your best bet for Vancouver accomodations including beer tours) and I am in town (I currently don't have plans on being away) I have an actual bed or a pull out couch (that is not a euphamism) for you.

Plenty of good MTB riding for you up here

If you need a place to stay in Vancouver, I actually llive in South Surrey 5 miles from the border (Mark would be your best bet for Vancouver accomodations including beer tours) and I am in town (I currently don't have plans on being away) I have an actual bed or a pull out couch (that is not a euphamism) for you.

Plenty of good MTB riding for you up here

When you hit Calgary, I'd make the trip down from Edmonton to meet you/see the cars again.

My dad is still in kamloops. He has had quite. A few tbrickers stay at his place on Thier way through. He is semi retired now though, and might already be away camping. If he's around, he'd likely give you his camper for a night.

Sounds like Ana amazing trip. Have fun.

Jordan
Thanks to both of you. I haven't seen The Real Mark in 10 years, it would be good to catch up.

Sweet.

What date-ish were you thinking for Vancouver? I may be in Alberta early June, but I'd imagine I'll be available after that. Presuming so, my couch is yours- maybe have a little meet and BBQ if your schedule permits?

M.

You are more than welcome to stay with us when you're in Calgary. We've got an actual bed in an actual room...:lol:

Cars? What cars?

In my opinion, after being to both, Zion is neater than Grand Canyon. And swing by Bryce as well.

Dude. Bruh.
Sweet.

What date-ish were you thinking for Vancouver? I may be in Alberta early June, but I'd imagine I'll be available after that. Presuming so, my couch is yours- maybe have a little meet and BBQ if your schedule permits?

M.
It's looking like the weekend of July 8-9. So that would work well for a gathering. Thanks, and hopefully I can get this schedule staright soon.

You are more than welcome to stay with us when you're in Calgary. We've got an actual bed in an actual room...:lol:

Cars? What cars?
Thank, Dale. I put you down as a 2-night stay if that's ok, that way I can catch up on sanity and take time looking at cars, figure out what to do about Banff, etc.

In my opinion, after being to both, Zion is neater than Grand Canyon. And swing by Bryce as well.
Thanks. I have a possible place to stay in Prescott, and want to visit friends in the Dallas TX area, so avoiding Death Valley and not worrying about the grand canyon might be best this time. Also, I'm a little concerned about the funds if this goes a full 3 weeks. Gotta keep it tight, no frivolous spending (hotels are the biggest hit on a trip like this, after fuel).

While you're in PDX, you might want to go visit Blue Moon Camera & Machine...

http://www.bluemooncamera.com/

-J
Very nice, but I had better keep my wallet in the car when I go in.

Last edited:
Yeah, our road trips are cheap because we camp the whole time. We do a lot of backpacking, so car-camping is a bit luxe. Free camping is everywhere out west.

Buy an annual pass at the very fist national park you go to. It costs $80, but will get you in free at all national parks, monuments, recreation areas, etc. Those are now typically $20 - $25 apiece, so it only takes a few before that $80 is saving you money. Then they're good for a year, expiring at the end of the month you bought it in.

And once you've knocked the incremental cost of visiting a NP down to $0, you tend to go see more of the 'little' ones. Which tend to be just as neat, but far less crowded.

I assume you're taking a mountain bike? You owe it to yourself to ride some in Moab. It's awesome. I've ridden there each summer since 2000. My current favorite trail is 'The Whole Enchilada' - you need two cars or a shuttle to get you up to the top of the LaSals from town, but then it's 35-ish miles of mostly downhill ride through 4 or 5 different climates, not to mention a changing buffet of trail styles as it drops from above the tree line into Ponderosa pines, into aspens, into scrub oak, then high desert, and on into the Colorado river canyon.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4670265/the-whole-enchilada

Or there's the classic - SlickRock: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/158941/slickrock
Only 12-ish miles (including the 'practice loop'), but it will wear you out.

Yep, taking the Stumpjumper FSR.

I keep trying to work St. Louis into a trip (I have other people there) but have only been through once at night in 2007.

Back