• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Porting stock B230FT head?

maxitoman007

So I have a 87 740 turbo and I'm wondering if I should port the head and if so how. I've heard you can do it with a dremel but I'm not exactly sure if I understand what to do (just gasket match?). My goal is 300 hp and although I'm pretty sure I wont reach that goal I'm wondering if this will make any significant difference. I'm doing several other mods to the car to try and reach the 300 hp mark, I'm just wondering if this should be one of them and if it can be done DIY budget style. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know much about porting but I will suggest that you list all the other supporting mods to reach your power goal. This will help the ones who do know what they're talking about to better tell you what is and isn't needed. Do you have a budget?

Honestly as I keep reaching my budget I keep finding ways to expand it haha. Heres the list of mods I'm planning. Some I already have parts for some I don't yet.

- 60 A/R intake, 63 A/R exhaust T3/T4 turbo (externally wategated using adapter plate)
- custom or 90+ manifold milled flat.
- 13mm rods from 90+ b230ft
- new piston rings
- new rod bearings
- replacing all gaskets/seals in the head.
- re lapping valves
- porting head ???
- 3 inch turbo-back straight pipe
- new spark plug wires
- electronic boost controller
- wideband gauge
- boost gauge
- upgraded injectors (low impedance brown-top equivalent)(setup using the guide forum)
- removal of stock air box for cone filter.
- possible ebay intercooler if I can find another $200 CAD

I think that's it but I'm probably missing something lol. Ill jut edit as I remember things.

If I've followed your other posts correctly, you got this car for cheap because #1 piston was damaged. With this in mind, I'd suggest:

- Using the most direct path, get the bottom end back together and the car running again.

- Next, chase down the inevitable vacuum leaks and other common problems with a 30 year old car. Making a smoke tester would be a good project.

- When you're happy with how it's running, look into adding a MBC and a Wideband O2 gauge. Feel free to crank on the boost as much as you want, while watching the AFRs, and expect that you'll be looking for a new engine eventually (or maybe just head gasket if you're lucky).

- A non-leaking turbo and a 90+ manifold are a good upgrade that you can add later.

- As a start for porting, I think there are still old stealthfti pics/posts around -- try a google search for: "stealthfti 530 porting site:turbobricks.com"

If you've never taken a head apart before, try to find a junk head to practice on -- the kjet 398s are almost the same as the newer 530s, and are often scrap. Ask at a local old Volvo shop or post in wanted.

Get a giant c-clamp and a plumbing pipe cap to make your own valve spring depressor. Take the junk head apart while paying attention to the precise fit of lifters into head. Imagine the cam destruction (flattening) that can occur if a bit of porting debris would get stuck in the lifter bore. After disassembly, try porting the head. It's junk already. Try lapping the valves too.

After you've practiced, and have decided if or how much porting you want, either find a good head or pull the head from the car.

I feel like there was a thread somewhere where someone had flow numbers (and better yet dyno numbers) for a ported 530 and non-ported 530 and the consensus was that porting on one side was minimally beneficial, and porting on the other side increased flow but netted a less desirable power curve or more HP less TQ or something odd.

Starting with gasket matching is probably the path of least resistance if you're looking to do it "now" while you have it apart.

I'll echo bobs statements above though.

When I got my $300 pile with it's blown HG, I peeled everything off and had the head dipped, decked, and did the valves. Put everything back together stock and fired it up to see what was what (hadn't ever heard the car run). Did a light stage zero and assessed what parts I'd need to get it ready for boost. Once I was sure this motor was ok, I took it all apart and bolted up the turbo bits at wastegate pressures. Drove it awhile at the ~8psi (?) that is stock. Added the cam. Got a bunch of other stuff sorted to be sure the AFR's were doing what I wanted (like... my dead in tank pump lol) and then began progressively turning the boost up. Progressively finding and fixing boost leaks, and vac leaks as a motor that's sat for awhile comes back on line.

It's a process but it produces a better product.

Also the valve lapping and install with new hushers was like $4 per valve or something hilarious. So... cheaper than the C clamp and energy for me.

Thanks for the replies, I already have the head off and I've cleaned the deck and flattened it by hand to way within spec. I currently have the cam out and I was just thinking about how to make a diy ring compressor. I have some big clamps and I was thinking of using them on top of a big socket. The only problem I see happening is the keepers not coming out and me not being able to access them because of the clamp covering the socket hole. I was planning on lapping the valves using the rubber hose trick with some valve lapping compound and then porting (gasket matching) if it is actually benificial. See I would put it all together make sure it runs good etc. before doing anything else but the whole point of this car was to be a fun car for summer. I originally wanted it to be done before school ended but now I'm aiming to try and finish it before august. I do plan to possibly have the car sideways so idk if that affects the decision to port considering that guy said it could raise HP but lower torque. Also I already bought the wife and and electronic boost controller so that's dealt with. Is this close to a 300 hp setup? Also found a guy in by area (Calgary Alberta Canada) selling a custom b21ft exhaust manifold that's already milled flat, this is optimal for what I'm doing but will it fit my head? Thanks again.

Other than this one, I'll ignore your typos:
Also I already bought the wife and and electronic boost controller so that's dealt with.
Ahhh youth, you make it sound so easy. Did you get a good package deal and a warranty? At least she knows where your priorities lie.

For DIY tools, see: https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/SpecialTools.html

For the engine, I'd put it together without porting the head -- to much opportunity for problems with not much return on a not-yet-running engine.

The Volvo turbos use a gasketless stepped flange on the turbo and a mating opposite step on the manifold. As long as you use compatible turbos, they mate up just fine. When swapping to a non-Volvo turbo with a flat mating surface, the manifold flange needs to be milled down. Info on 850 turbos: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=10961

The 90+ manifold flows better than the earlier B21FT log manifold. Keep your current one or upgrade to 90+, unless you really need flattened flange and the price for the milled B21FT is close to free. (Yes, the B21FT manifold has the same bolt pattern as the B230 heads.)

Well the manifold is custom made so I would assume it would flow the same if not better than a 90+. I also meant to say wideband not wife lol and I think I'm gonna steer clear of porting because I feel like it's high risk low reward.

Well the manifold is custom made so I would assume it would flow the same if not better than a 90+. I also meant to say wideband not wife lol and I think I'm gonna steer clear of porting because I feel like it's high risk low reward.

You would see more benefits in installing an original 531 head (for better flow) or using an mild, upgraded camshaft in the stock head (more volume), or a combination of both over porting a stock head and leaving the wimpy T cam in there.

A ported 90+ manifold will be sufficient to fit your goals.

You can do it yourself for sure. The exhaust sides have a lot more that can be removed than the inside side but both can benefit from some work. A dremel though is not going to work well. I did mine with a large air compressor and a couple kits and a die grinder. My air compressor had trouble keeping up and it still took like 20 hours for a basic port and polish. There's several threads with good pictures (hopefully the pictures are still there after the photobuckocalypse) of porting work before after and cross sections.

I feel like there was a thread somewhere where someone had flow numbers (and better yet dyno numbers) for a ported 530 and non-ported 530 and the consensus was that porting on one side was minimally beneficial, and porting on the other side increased flow but netted a less desirable power curve or more HP less TQ or something odd.

linuxman51, you'll have to search it. The exhaust side benefits the most.

You would see more benefits in installing an original 531 head (for better flow) or using an mild, upgraded camshaft in the stock head (more volume), or a combination of both over porting a stock head and leaving the wimpy T cam in there.

A ported 90+ manifold will be sufficient to fit your goals.

I'd say throw some 38mm exhaust valves in a 531 and it'd flow wildly more than even a well fettled 530.

This thread is now John V clickbait. Y'all gonna learn today.

Last edited:
That manifold is absolutely garbage....it is made of 16gs steel....it will crack. For 40$ it would look kinda cool hanging on the wall!

Back