• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting to E85 (ethanol fuel)

I've been waiting until the new meijer opened in my town to do this (which will be the only station with e85 in my town), but im gonna finally convert my NA 245 to run on ethanol. I'm thinking about using the adjustable FPR, i wonder how much pressure i should run with ethanol? Or am i that much better off changing the injectors?

Also, I have a carbureted motorcycle. Anyone here ever converted a carbureted vehicle to run on e85? I'm currently running dynojet DJ130 jets from a "stage 1 and 3 jet kit". Hmm....?

But my biggest question, has any turbo bricker built their own still and made their own ethanol? This seems like it would be the ultimate solution, to make your own fuel. I've been told that theres supposedly a chemical that can be put into the mash so that it can be done legally, but it sure does seem like the government would find a way to make the whole thing totally illegal.

i suggest you match injectors for a proper burn. i think the best injectors are the plate typre with four holes. increasing the pressure at the injectors, like pintle injectors increases potential to skew the spray pattern.

i suggest you match injectors for a proper burn. i think the best injectors are the plate typre with four holes. increasing the pressure at the injectors, like pintle injectors increases potential to skew the spray pattern.

I was thinking that, as it was mentioned in the OP. My alternative was to put my green tops i was going to put in the +T car in the NA car, but then i'll have to get more injectors to put in the turbo car.....hah. I don't have the resistor pack either, but that problem is easily corrected...

What cars have "plate type with four holes" injectors? Or is that gonna be a super expensive aftermarket item?

And i wonder about the bike. Maybe i should just put damn megasquirt on that thing...

Check this out. http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com I found this last night, this guy tells alllll about makingg your own ethanol fuel. Also sells plans and some special parts for making a still, and the especially important....the legalities of it. You gotta get a permit, and then you can do it. Nice.

You can even make ethanol from rotten food in the trash. Totally awesome.

I'm going to check into this. How friggin cool would it be to run your car on TRASH?

I need to rent an industrial space to do this crap in....

Been doing a bunch of research on e85. Wow, sure are a lot of frigging morons out there. This whole thing with fossil fuels being required to make ethanol is totally bull****. Ah, the fools say corn is grown with the aid of diesel powered farm tractors. Uhm, yeah, why can't the farm tractors run on biodiesel, made from corn oil or rapeseed oil? Maybe farm tractors of the future will use ethanol. And oh yeah, they use electricity to make it. Nice. Why cant the stills be powered with wood, which is a renewable resource?

sure seems like theres a lot of folks out there trying to make us think nonsense. I hate that ****...

Found this thread while looking at what I might need to run a performance redblock on E85.

I've been using ~E50 in a whiteblock for quite a while. The difference in power is substantial. Ignition timing @ WOT goes from +8 to +16 just from putting half a tank of E85 in. Wideband says all is fine and dandy in the AFR dept. And my buddy with the 1G DSM w/ big 16G who can't keep up to save his life can attest to the fact it makes more power. :)

If you have an E85 station near you and you don't have a long commute, I HIGHLY recommend it.

I see a reduction in fuel economy of about 18%. Though, it should be noted that you WILL drive the car harder and see boost more often with the ethanol in the tank, which may play a role here too. ;)

i have been running on e85 for about 30k miles now and i love it, uses more fuel but it just is so much better under boost. and as far as the fuel system goes im still running stock pumps, lines and fpr and none of it is showing signs of deterioration. im running on lh2.4 with TLAO chips and 75lb delphi injectors and the car sees alot of abuse and has been know to go over 23psi and the afrs are always dead on

dead thread revival!!! my 88 745ti already as a vx cam, and a 13c turbo, 4 bar fpr, front mount, hardpipes, conical filter. i have a choice of three sets of injectors and two pressure regulators to use and i wanted to double check if anyone knows my calculations to be correct or not.

stock injectors from my car are 29lb/hr at 3 bar
brown tops are 34lb/hr at 3 bar
stock rx7 red top n/a injectors are 43lb/hr at 3 bar

stock fuel pressure regulator is a 3 bar?
my alternate fpr is 4 bar (bosch 0 380 160 226)?

so for the 43% increase i need for e85 i could use the rx7 injectors and the stock pressure regulator or should i go with the 4 bar fpr?

i'd prefer not to piggy back or chip this car quite yet. i'd like to rely on the oem stuff to make sure everything works together before dumping more money into my daily driver for more power. i have another car that serves as my all-out-modded-race-drift-slut so this needs to be my reliable dd transportation.

i am using a stock fuel pump system and stock boost(for the 13c and 91+ manifold) and stock timing. i'd like to turn the boost up at least to 10psi. right now on pump premium i get a little bit of detonation/hesitation/fuel cut through second gear at high rpm and third gear at the last 1500 rpms till redline. hoping the e85 will take care of that as well as the known leaky brown tops being replaced with rx7 460's. from what i've read on this board it seems like a really awesome fuel for turbo cars and since our cars don't need any other mods i can't believe its taken me this long to get on it!

dead thread revival!!! my 88 745ti already as a vx cam, and a 13c turbo, 4 bar fpr, front mount, hardpipes, conical filter. i have a choice of three sets of injectors and two pressure regulators to use and i wanted to double check if anyone knows my calculations to be correct or not.

stock injectors from my car are 29lb/hr at 3 bar
brown tops are 34lb/hr at 3 bar
stock rx7 red top n/a injectors are 43lb/hr at 3 bar

stock fuel pressure regulator is a 3 bar?
my alternate fpr is 4 bar (bosch 0 380 160 226)?

so for the 43% increase i need for e85 i could use the rx7 injectors and the stock pressure regulator or should i go with the 4 bar fpr?

i'd prefer not to piggy back or chip this car quite yet. i'd like to rely on the oem stuff to make sure everything works together before dumping more money into my daily driver for more power. i have another car that serves as my all-out-modded-race-drift-slut so this needs to be my reliable dd transportation.

i am using a stock fuel pump system and stock boost(for the 13c and 91+ manifold) and stock timing. i'd like to turn the boost up at least to 10psi. right now on pump premium i get a little bit of detonation/hesitation/fuel cut through second gear at high rpm and third gear at the last 1500 rpms till redline. hoping the e85 will take care of that as well as the known leaky brown tops being replaced with rx7 460's. from what i've read on this board it seems like a really awesome fuel for turbo cars and since our cars don't need any other mods i can't believe its taken me this long to get on it!

i dont know if you can do e85 on lh2.2

and this needs to be simplified. heres my e85 conversion that worked flawlessly

TLAO chips
012 maf
75lb injectors
3 degree ezk advance
.023 gap on bpr7es

made 260whp on that no reason to complicate it

Right now I have browntops running at 4 bar on an he351 holset roughly 20psi. Obviously I dont have enough fuel as it is. I would like to go for bigger injectors that I could use for e85 and 93 oct. when I have to since there is only one e85 station near me. I would like yo keep the possibility of running gasoline just in the even that I have to. I read that 50+ lbs injectors should be sufficient however I think that is on stock turbo. So my question is What would be a good injector size for running my holset 20+ lbs on e85 as well as gasoline.

LH2.4
Adjustable FPR
Stock fuel pumps
TLAO chips

thanks guys

i dont know if you can do e85 on lh2.2

and this needs to be simplified. heres my e85 conversion that worked flawlessly

TLAO chips
012 maf
75lb injectors
3 degree ezk advance
.023 gap on bpr7es

made 260whp on that no reason to complicate it

What fuel pressure and what turbo settup?

thanks.

I just swapped mine from 2.5 to 3 bar with 65# Delphi's in it, haven't had any issues. Runs okay on gas, as best as it will anyway, loves E85. Gotta have a 3" AMM though. I'm on a custom TLAO tune but nothing that should be an issue as mine's just some fine-tuning to deal with my car's quirks.

I love these "facts" from the first post...

"5. E85 is in most cases at least 5% more eff?cient than gasoline at the same lambda value (up to 25% more efficient on some cars optimized soley for E85)."

"2. Since cars running E85 requires roughly 30% more fuel, a tank of E85 will not get you as far as a tank of gasoline and you will have to refuel more often. This is often disregarded by E85 users who learn to live with it because of the economical gains."

So it's 5% more efficient but 30% more inefficient! That's a magical fuel source!

Back