• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'92 940T to '87 245 motor swap?

LC4CARL

Aero challenged
It all starts with an idea that won't go away, right?

Here's the deal: I found a '92 940T, 200k miles, "runs fine." After a mild part-out (Hydra's, etc) the car would be essentially free to me.

Swap the turbo motor to my '87 245 / M47.

As I understand it:

The 2.4 to 2.2 swap doesn't sound too bad. Not sure about finding a 2.4 harness for the 240 though. The 940 ecu may be chipable? Speedo?

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=230687

The '92 would have the bigger rods, and desirable exhaust manifold.

The M47 would likely die under any abuse and a T5, or other, would be in the future.

The head from my '87 would need to be swapped on along with the distributor. "B" cam OK?

The T motor would come with the oil return and oil cooler stuff.

I'll need a different header pipe.

Will the 940 cooling units fit in a 240?

Wide band O2.

Clutch.

Future:

Swap the 3.31 for a 3.73.

Aforementioned T5.

Boost silliness ensues...

What am I missing? Brilliant idea or not so much?

Thanks!

Here's the deal: I found a '92 940T, 200k miles, "runs fine." After a mild part-out (Hydra's, etc) the car would be essentially free to me.

As I understand it:

The 2.4 to 2.2 swap doesn't sound too bad. Not sure about finding a 2.4 harness for the 240 though. The 940 ecu may be chipable? Speedo? The later model 240s had LH2.4 so pulling a harness from one of those would be your best bet

The M47 would likely die under any abuse and a T5, or other, would be in the future.

The head from my '87 would need to be swapped on along with the distributor. "B" cam OK? Yes. And B cam will be ok

The T motor would come with the oil return and oil cooler stuff. Yes

I'll need a different header pipe. In my +T I used a 940T downpipe without modification other than connecting it to the rest of the exhaust piping. I did not have to shorten it inside the engine bay as some have done.

Will the 940 cooling units fit in a 240? '92 940 intercooler is not drop in. I'd find a 240/740 intercooler and a 240 oil cooler to make things easier.

Wide band O2.

Clutch.

Future:

Aforementioned T5.

Thanks!

Seems like a good idea to me.

Yeah...

:grrr:

Thanks for the response.

Would I need a different flywheel? Something about a trigger?

Does the 940 ECU turn the main cooling fan on and off? Or stay mechanical?

DO IT! Take all of the needed parts(harness, ECU, EZK, power train, all of it). Then part it out and crush it. Or part it out and donate it to a local that wants to build a brick.

Unfortunately the seller decided he did not want to sell the car after all. Kind of bummed / probably for the best anyway. Now I need to find something else to play with this winter.

As I understand it:

The 2.4 to 2.2 swap doesn't sound too bad. Not sure about finding a 2.4 harness for the 240 though. The 940 ecu may be chipable? Speedo?

The M47 would be fine if you don't get carried away turning up the boost.

The head from my '87 would need to be swapped on along with the distributor.

No you'd want to keep the turbo head, and swap in a 240 intermediate shaft to run the distributor.

"B" cam OK?

No "B' cams suck on a turbo engine, keep the 'T' if you want driveability or get an IPD cam if you'll be winding it up to the moon all the time and wasting a lot of gas.

Water cooled oil by 92 afik, so you're adding a heat load to your radiator, and the late 7-9 radiator is wider to account for that.

And besides that crap doesn't fit on a 240 anyway.

I'll need a different down pipe.

FTFY

Not really 240 Turbo stuff will be ideal or do a short kit and run your own lines.

Wide band O2.

Yes

Yes

Future:

Aforementioned T5.

Thanks!

:uh:

Intercooler and trappings, and a million trips to the junkyard for a little this and that.

As I understand it:

M47 is fine under stock power, I abuse mine at around 200 hp.

The head from my '87 would need to be swapped on along with the distributor. "B" cam OK?
i think the ft head mounted distributor would interfere with a 240 firewall but I may be wrong. If that's the case, you need to swap in the aux shaft from your 240 and run a block mounted distributor. And idk why people bitch about the B cam in turbo applications. It may not have ideal specs but it's definitely more lively than an M or T cam. Especially since you have a manual.

the ft motor would have the feed/return already done for you.
I'll need a different header pipe.
940 downpipe. Usually modded to fit properly but you can get away with stock.
no, not without modification. And a stock 240 radiator cools just fine.
Wide band O2.
yaaa
Clutch.
depends if yours is worn out. My new NA clutch holds juuust fine
Future:

worry about one thing at a time
Aforementioned T5.

Thanks!
Rip. Your car sold. You'll find another one.

Leave it the **** alone and make the 940 your project car until you learn to fix everything you can break.

Back