• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Paint. Ghetto, open air paint.

+1 on the respirator and the Harbor Freight gun. If you have any inkling how to spray paint, you can make out well. You can spray outside if you do it early on a clear, calm, warm morning, before the sun hits the car or in a shady spot (not under a tree!).

I have this gun from HF. I bought it with low expectations but it has exceeded them by a lot. It is almost always on sale for $10. You might want a stand for it, but you can hang it from a rope, too. If you look at it, check the customer reviews and read the "most liked positive review". Some guy has written a virtual user manual for it and posted it as a review.

Frankly... I don't see what could possibly go wrong?

How much product you think I need for a hood? Paint and clear...

how-hard-can-it-be.jpg

If you spray 2K clear outside- which I have done- be advised that it is extremely sticky before it flashes which could be anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes or so. During that time ANY debris, insects, dust, etc. that are in the air will become embedded in it. Best to rig up a makeshift paintbooth if you can. Single stage is a lot more forgiving for the 'shadetree' painter.

Take it from one who helped respray his brother-in-laws truck. Go buy a HF sprayer, get a good respirator, use a garage or instant garage and turn it into a spray booth. We used an old box fan that we used to pull air/overspray out of the booth to help keep the fumes down. It's worth the time and effort. The prep work is where you can set a cheap paint job apart from a poorly prepped expensive job. Prep is everything with paint. That's where you always take your time. If you do two stage, be prepared to cut the orange peel down to get the best gloss after it's cured. Proper flash temperature is above 70*

It depends on what type of paint you are going to use, the brand, and the color. IOW, high solids 2 stage paints require very little color to do the job. A pint of color would easily paint the hood. 2 quarts will do a complete paint job with some colors. If you are buying your paint at an automotive paint store, they can tell you the coverage of the material you choose. I would go 2 stage with a fast setting color since you are a beginner. You might be surprised at the results you can achieve. Tiger striping is a real problem with metallic colors until you get the hang of shooting the paint. If you were to try to paint something the size of the hood in 412 with rattle cans, you would be stunned at how bad it will look when you are finished. You can't get enough material on fast enough to keep it from looking like a bunch of strips all seemed together. Think patchwork quilt.

Yeah... I think my plan will be to tent up a negative air booth and just remove the hood from the car. This guy is putting on a clinic in the HF reviews of this paint gun...

You lot think I should spray factory 412 or try to get it color matched to the 93?

By the time I'm finished I'll probably be high AF anyway so it'll probably look rad (JK, I'm not dumb*... I'll use a respirator lol)

*I'm a little dumb.

Heh. Looks like you are game to find out (the hard way if necessary).

I agree with all of 2manyturbos' good advice a couple posts above, including that a pint would easily cover a hood. I also like the idea of removing the hood, if that is all you are painting.

I would also add a recommendation that your get a water trap to put in your air line while spraying, and drain your compressor tank frequently.

Heh. Looks like you are game to find out (the hard way if necessary).

I agree with all of 2manyturbos' good advice a couple posts above, including that a pint would easily cover a hood. I also like the idea of removing the hood, if that is all you are painting.

I would also add a recommendation that your get a water trap to put in your air line while spraying, and drain your compressor tank frequently.

I have a water trap and don't store the compressor full. But it's an old family unit and I just expect it to explode and kill me and my entire family at some point. May as well be while I'm trying to make a 93 Volvo not look like crap.

Seems a worthwhile way to die no? :rofl:

If I order paint... how long does it stay fresh? Gotta be a few months no?

Just trying to plan when/how to get this all done.

Back