• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Of Tail lights and touch up paint

M.H. Yount

Gonna have to replace a tail light assembly -- 6 panel, 240 sedan unit. I bought 2 new ones (L&R) from IPD 6-8 years ago. I'd like to go back to them, but the website shows the right side (the one I need) at $54 while the mirror image left side is $104. Any idea why the price discrepancy? Or why it won't ship for "30 days"? I'd ask them - but it'll have to wait til Monday. Also, these are available from lots of sources - ebay, amazon, Rock Auto, more I'm sure, without the 30 day wait. I've gotta think these things are all coming from the same source -- anyone know if that's true? My IPD units say "Made in Estonia". Thought some of you might have had some experience that was relevant....

Any suggestions on where to go to buy touch up paint? Mine's an 82 - rose beige - I can find samples online, but thought I'd ask and see if ya'lls experience might steer me towards a decent vendor. thx

Last edited:
I bought touch up paint from paintscratch.com for my '79 242 Carlsbad yellow 242, and my '78 Porsche Viper Green 242. I picked the single stage paint and they are both a very good match, these guys are good. I bought a spray can, bottle with brush, and touch up pens. I was told the Carlsbad yellow was going to be a very hard match because the original had lead in it, but they nailed it. The sample color on their website was way off but I took the chance and it paid off.

Thx guys. Ended up going with an ebay/Estonia made light. IPD seemed very uncertain as to when (if?) they could get one. Funny how that often goes with the best price. I’ll try paintscratch.

Last edited:
The touchup paint from Paintscratch.com is damn near perfect. And the ebay taillight is a dead-on match for the one I got through IPD a few years back. Thx for paint recommendation.

Swedish Car Parts has been my go-to for decades. Was disappointed that there was no candy in my last order.

Back