• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Oils

ivid1940

Hi all,
I just bought a 2001 S40 1.9T with 72,000 km's or 45,000 miles , whats the feeling about using synthetic oils vs conventional oil in that car ?
Thank you,
Dave

I use Mobil 1 in all our cars and yard equipment. My wife's '90 245 has 550,000 miles on it, always used Mobil 1 and we have had it for 19 years. When I did a head gasket change on it last year you could see the cross hatch hone marks on the cylinder walls. I'm sold on Mobil 1.

I like to use either 0w-40 flavor of Mobil 1 or Castrol synthetic in turbo cars.

Only use Mann or Mahle oil filters.

Redblocks - I run blended or full synthetic, usually a 10w-30 or 10w-40 flavor, don't care about brand. Mann Filters Only.
My 850R - 5w-40 Castrol Edge Syntec Only. Use Mann or Mahle
My XC70 - 5w-40 Castrol Edge Syntec Only. Mahle Filters Only.
My XC90 V8 - 0w-40 Mobil1 Only. Mahle Filters Only.

When I had my C70, I used Castrol Edge Syntec as well. Sold that vehicle with 332K miles with very little blowby.

I run 5w40 synthetic diesel oil in my 240s (Either Rotella or Delo) and it seems to work fine. Less than 20 bucks for a jug at wallyworld.

I've been using LiquiMoly 10W40 MoS2 oil with Mann filters. 6months/5k miles.
I'm planning to send in a sample to Blackstone Oil Laboratories to see how it's treating my engine.

In an NA redblock I'd probably be fine with semi synthetic as long as it was changed every 3k.

I change my oil anywhere from 5k to 15k.

CcJ3igvW0AErT64.jpg

My '01 S40 gets 5W-30 high mileage synthetic blend changed every 5,000 miles. Castrol at $17 / 5-qt jug at WalMart.
Probably could go longer, but that's an easy interval for me to remember.

Car has 235,000 on it now and uses maybe 1/2 quart between changes.

I've always used dino oils for my 240, 744 and 940 turbobricks.

Originally I used what was on sale, but since the days of cheap oil are gone I use Wal-Mart's Super Tech brand.

I change frequently, usually every two or three thousand miles, and always use a Mann or Mahle filter.

No issues whatsoever with this maintenance regimen, no failed turbos.

Then again I don't beat the bark off of my turbobricks.

Back