• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v valve lifter alternatives

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
I read somewhere a while back that it is recommended to install some sort of VW lifter on the head due to the temperamental and expensive nature of the OEM units.

Can anybody shed light on this?

I've used the VW hydros with no issues. And for a while I was using some older VW diesel solid lifters as well, those come with a shim-in-bucket style or an another that uses grind to fit lash caps (which are a bit fiddly to set up).

Solid lifters:
Volvo 340 or any other car with renault F4N engines.
KL-racing, AGAP, ENEM, CATCAMS.be, etc.

Hydraulic lifters on ebay.de

i cant.. it's been years since i installed them, but i can remember it was like 3/4 the weight..

Those are probably the VW diesel buckets. They?re lighter, but they tend to crack when used On a gas engine. Higher revs and more aggressive cams seem to do the in.

I've got various lifters sitting around the house, I could compare some weights.
- Volvo hydraulic
- VW hydraulic
- VW diesel solid

I'll try to remember to do that this evening.

I've got various lifters sitting around the house, I could compare some weights.
- Volvo hydraulic
- VW hydraulic
- VW diesel solid

I'll try to remember to do that this evening.

Why?

don't bother..Answer those deluded Iwannabearacer guys with the answer they NEED:

It's unimportant because you are not revving the things to 10,000 rpm so obessing about weights is wanking and the hydraulic ones are good to 7000 and 99% never rev to there either...

It'll just be more truthiness nonsense: True but so insignificant as to be un-measurable in how a car goes as to be meaningless.

I don't remember if it was in Cameron's or Nathan's 16vt build threads I read a decade ago, but not only was the weight savings discussed but also that the VW lifters didn't collapse a early in the rev range versus the stock Volvo ones. I think the VW ones were said to collapse around 7,200 versus the Volvo at 6,800 or something like that? Food for thought.

Opposite of collapse, but I certainly overpumped the Volvo lifters a couple of times when it still had the stock springs. I don't know that I'ever tried the VW lifters with the stock 16V springs, but they certainly didn't overpump with the Ford springs.

Why?

don't bother..Answer those deluded Iwannabearacer guys with the answer they NEED:

It's unimportant because you are not revving the things to 10,000 rpm so obessing about weights is wanking and the hydraulic ones are good to 7000 and 99% never rev to there either...

It'll just be more truthiness nonsense: True but so insignificant as to be un-measurable in how a car goes as to be meaningless.

"Iwannabeareacer" isn't me. I merely asked about substitutes, and knowledgeable/willing people answered. Furthermore, all 3 options John listed are hydraulic.

Back