• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

complete front suspension swap?

jhatfield

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Volvo scene and have recently acquired a 1986 Volvo 244. I am wanting to do a complete rebuild of the car and have this beast completely set up for drifting. I was wondering has anyone done a modern day suspension swap, as in the knuckle is not welded to the shock?
IMG2701-L.jpg

I don't know if I'm over thinking this or over-complicating things but any insight would be great.

thanks in advance.

Your picture is of the rear suspension. There is a thread on here where somebody did that. Seemed like a lot of work. Most "modern" cars use almost the same suspension setup on the front just different geometry. Look up MacPherson strut

Last edited:
The photo was just for a reference to give someone an idea of what I am talking about I will be sure to check out McPherson strut thank you

So going backwards by 30 ish years in suspension design and geometry? I'm not sure that a spindle and double a arms is going to get you where you want to be. Not to mention that steering angle, camber and caster are going to be less adjustable.

Do you mean SLA? As in short & long arm that doesn't use a strut?

Been done yet not sure if I would call it modern since that has been around longer than the MacPherson strut design.

Yes you can change the suspesion, however if you have to ask then not a mod for you since there are no kits or a step by step setup.

Quite a few Volvos out there drifting with the stockish front suspension, try it as is. If you are an experienced driver then you will know what to change. If a rookie I doubt dumping $2K into just the front is going to make you a better driver.

You will more likely get much better results with tweaking the existing setup rather than struggling to make something else work and iron out a load of bugs

A strut suspension does not provide for camber gain in body roll or compression.

In a SLA design both camber and caster can move in compression/extension and body roll.

Struts are a cheap way to build cars, just like FWD.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Volvo scene and have recently acquired a 1986 Volvo 244. I am wanting to do a complete rebuild of the car and have this beast completely set up for drifting. I was wondering has anyone done a modern day suspension swap, as in the knuckle is not welded to the shock?
IMG2701-L.jpg

I don't know if I'm over thinking this or over-complicating things but any insight would be great.

thanks in advance.

Yes, and its not too difficult...posted photos right here dozens of times

JVABVolvoknucklesC.jpg

JVABVolvo240knucklesB.jpg

An earlier version I did (AE86 but same on Volvo)
AE86RevisedKnuckle02.JPG

An intermediate version done by a friend for me who is way better than I at pretty CNC
IMG_1093.jpg

Then of course there is the struts themselves.. You can get Alibaba Specials which are pure garbage or listen to the collective wisdom here who anwered so thoughtfully :roll:and understandingly:roll: and above all correctly...:roll::roll::roll:

Or do it right.

Have you drifted your 240 to know what it lacks and what you need to upgrade and improve or do you just want some shiny parts to look good before you go hit a wall?

Have you drifted your 240 to know what it lacks and what you need to upgrade and improve or do you just want some shiny parts to look good before you go hit a wall?

I didn't need to drift it to know they need to be changed, the struts are blown. The car also has a large amount of body roll compared to my 240sx. So I guess you can say shiny parts before I hit a wall.

Once this build gets further I will be selling the seats they are blue cloth in amazing condition.

Last edited:
I didn't need to drift it to know they need to be changed, the struts are blown. The car also has a large amount of body roll compared to my 240sx. So I guess you can say shiny parts before I hit a wall.

Fair enough, but at least research or learn what a McPherson strut is. But you don't need it so stiff or no body roll because you want some weight transfer so you can drift it as well.

Back