• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

All you need to know about the M90

Yeah. The diesel engines had the same gearboxes as the B230FT/FK of the same year. There is nothing different.

They did however favour the taller gearings available.

Did that answer your question, or was there something more specific you wanted to know?

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know, and is exactly what I thought !

But they won't fit redblocks, since the bellhousing aren't the same, no ?

But they won't fit redblocks, since the bellhousing aren't the same, no ?

Indeed, M90's have integral bellhousings so a diesel M90 will fit a D24 and a D24 only, likewise a redblock one only fits a redblock and a whiteblock only a whiteblock.

:rofl: noobert, this tranny IS FROM A REDBLOCK>:-(

But not exclusively a redblock as it came in two other flavours - who is the noob now..........:-P

Hi, does anyone know when DBS is supposed to be back and running? or how long it's been down? I am also wondering how much an M90 typically runs in cost by itself, then how much for shipping? And am I right that perhaps the best combo would be to have the redblock M90 with the H2 internals? Not that this is the best place for accurate info, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_M90_transmission basically says that towards the bottom of the page, plus the ratio's in the H2 are best if you ask me. Also is it true they are made by Getrag? I have a '98 B230FT block thats only had AMSOIL used since day one with 100K on it and a 16v head with 130K and I plan to build this engine professionally and am shooting for about 600hp (I know it may seem far-fetched) and I'd like to stick with Volvo components, but will the M90 take that? Does anyone know about how much it can take? I've heard about 500hp? Otherwise I suppose I could go with a supra tranny or something, but I really don't want to stray from Volvo. Any suggestions? Thanks -Steve

Your probably going to end up spending a total of $1500 for the m90 and related parts, lh2.4 flywheel, clutch disk and PP. While the m90 is a strong transmission and probably stronger than a T-5, your going to end up breaking transmissions if 500+ hp is your goal. In your case I would go with a T-5 since its going to be alot cheaper(and easier) to replace should you break one.

Ok, well how about the Getrag 262? Looks like I can pick one of those up for about $500 and then get the conversion kit for about another $500. They can take the power it looks like, thats what this guy is doing: http://www.hilmersson-racing.com Besides, 600hp is just a goal, wheather or not I actually get there, I don't really care, it's still alot more power than is necessary, ESPECIALLY since I want this thing to be street legal and all that. I'd be happy with between 400-500hp, and I actually think that where I'll end up, simply because I don't really want to wear anything out too soon, there will be alot of MY time and money spent on this after all and I don't feel like having to constantly replace things. Otherwise, will an M90 with the H2 internals still start getting weak around 500hp does anyone know? Maybe I could just do that swap and not have to worry about any conversion kits or custom brackets?

Oh yeah, for anyone who lives over there in Sweden or...Anywhere in Europe: Can you just walk into a junkyard and grab what you need or do the junkyard people do it for you? There's a junkyard in my area where you can walk back to all the cars and pick your own parts, which REALLY comes in handy for making sure you get everything. Like many people, I want to travel, and again like many people, I want to travel Europe. I've planned for years now that when I do, if I don't already have a transmission, I'm going to take a day out of my vacation to rip one out of a car in a junkyard over there. Can you do that over there or don't they let you anymore for liability issues?

Oh yeah, for anyone who lives over there in Sweden or...Anywhere in Europe: Can you just walk into a junkyard and grab what you need or do the junkyard people do it for you? There's a junkyard in my area where you can walk back to all the cars and pick your own parts, which REALLY comes in handy for making sure you get everything. Like many people, I want to travel, and again like many people, I want to travel Europe. I've planned for years now that when I do, if I don't already have a transmission, I'm going to take a day out of my vacation to rip one out of a car in a junkyard over there. Can you do that over there or don't they let you anymore for liability issues?
In Sweden the people at the junkyard does it for you. No pick-n-pull here.

EDIT:// Oh, and the M90H2 probably gives up at 450 or something. But it is the torque that kills it, not the HP.

AWSOME!!!!!! ive been wondering about the M90's and now youve just confirmed it for me and expanded my knowledge. thanks. saving this link.....

That will work very good.

But...

The size will have to be the same (228mm).

The number of splines needs to be the same.

And I don't know if the pressure plate is strong enough. I have never tried it. I would go with the 940 diesel pressure plate.

Same size, same spline count. I put this question up in maintenance & non-performance as well and got the same answer. I have the 850 clutch kit on hand and would like to make use of it if practical. The pressure plate part number is 3082 226 031. Do you have the specs on that pressure plate?

Same size, same spline count. I put this question up in maintenance & non-performance as well and got the same answer. I have the 850 clutch kit on hand and would like to make use of it if practical. The pressure plate part number is 3082 226 031. Do you have the specs on that pressure plate?
The pressure plate should have specifications that are close to the 940TDi pressure plate specifications. It is not weaker than the old turbo pressure plate for the M46 though.

Hi, i'm a little confused with the use in a diesel engine, I'm highly interested in buy a Diesel 740/760 and use a M90, but, Exist a "special" version for the D24T or I can use a M90 for a redblock? I need a different flywheel?

Last edited:
I'm getting ready for my m90 swap ('94 940t). I already have the 940TDI disc from option 1. Could it be used with the pressure plate from option 2?

Option #1:
(snip)
Clutch disc 940TDi, stock, organic, 20 splines, 228mm, Sachs reference number: 18 1862 468 031

Option #2:
(snip)
Pressure plate, Sachs race engineering, strengthened/performance, 228mm, Sachs p/n: 883082 999763

I'm getting ready for my m90 swap ('94 940t). I already have the 940TDI disc from option 1. Could it be used with the pressure plate from option 2?

Option #1:
(snip)
Clutch disc 940TDi, stock, organic, 20 splines, 228mm, Sachs reference number: 18 1862 468 031

Option #2:
(snip)
Pressure plate, Sachs race engineering, strengthened/performance, 228mm, Sachs p/n: 883082 999763
Yes. And that is what I am using on my (non-running) car right now.

The 850 clutch disc + Sachs race engineering pressure plate was really nice to drive with and gripped like no tomorrow, but the TDi clutch disc and the same pressure plate was more driveable with more comfort. It probably grips the same, but it feels different.

The 850 clutch disc is great with a stock pressure plate though.

So the answer is yes, use the 850 clutch disc + Sachs race engineering pressure plate. That is the best option.

Back