• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

All you need to know about the M90

Yes. And that is what I am using on my (non-running) car right now.

The 850 clutch disc + Sachs race engineering pressure plate was really nice to drive with and gripped like no tomorrow, but the TDi clutch disc and the same pressure plate was more driveable with more comfort. It probably grips the same, but it feels different.

The 850 clutch disc is great with a stock pressure plate though.

So the answer is yes, use the 850 clutch disc + Sachs race engineering pressure plate. That is the best option.

Thanks, Fredrik. I'm now having some difficulties sourcing the Sachs race PP. My local parts place said that they called Sachs and couldn't source it via that part number. They asked for an application.

I'm waiting to hear from FCP Groton.

Steve

Thanks, Fredrik. I'm now having some difficulties sourcing the Sachs race PP. My local parts place said that they called Sachs and couldn't source it via that part number. They asked for an application.

I'm waiting to hear from FCP Groton.

Steve

Appliacation for the Sachs "707" presure plate, if that's the one you mean, is Audi RS4.

Clutch kits can be had here for around $500:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/par...mp;IL=clutchkit

I know it'd be more cost-effective to just find a cover though....

Appliacation for the Sachs "707" presure plate, if that's the one you mean, is Audi RS4.

Clutch kits can be had here for around $500:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/par...mp;IL=clutchkit

I know it'd be more cost-effective to just find a cover though....
It is not the 707 plate.

The pressure plate I have listed is the Sachs racing pressure plate which is an aftermarket part not installed in any vehicle from the factory.

Pressure plate, Sachs race engineering, strengthened/performance, 228mm, Sachs p/n: 883082 999763

Btw... Is the 707 plate even 228mm??? I thought it was 240mm...

Yeah I am a tard stuck in whiteblock land. Sorry 'bout that. :doh:

Incidentally, does the racing pressure plate require flywheel re-pin/re-drill?

Yeah I am a tard stuck in whiteblock land. Sorry 'bout that. :doh:
I understand. People here in Sweden also go on and on about the 707 plate. Don't get me wrong. It is a supreme pressure plate, and good enough for most people. But since it is 240mm it only fits on the dual mass flywheels.

Incidentally, does the racing pressure plate require flywheel re-pin/re-drill?
No. Plug-n-play. :)

It is made for stock height. It will engage/disengage with shorter throw though (and that is really a nice feature to have).

I understand. People here in Sweden also go on and on about the 707 plate. Don't get me wrong. It is a supreme pressure plate, and good enough for most people. But since it is 240mm it only fits on the dual mass flywheels.

Not to add to more confusion, but I am pretty sure you can put a 240mm clutch on the whiteblock flywheels- the 850R clutch is 240mm which is what I have on my 850 flat flywheel + m90.

I can't figure out out to find a dealer on that web page. FCP Groton said it has to be ordered from Germany and they can't do it.
What is it with US dealers...?

First they can't, or are unwilling to get the LSO2 sensor I reviewed a while back. And the numbers in the US does not correspond to the Bosch numbers in the EU...

Now the dealer doesn't want to get a pressure plate from a big company like Sachs?

Go here: http://butiken.enem.se/katalog.asp

At the bottom of the page, to the right, there is a button that says "Pris inkl. moms". Press that so it says "Pris exkl. moms".

Under "Bilm?rke / modell" at the top, press the drop-down menu to choose car make (Volvo in this case). The drop-down menu under that is where you choose the model. Choose "940 Bensin Turbo 2.3 Sedan, Kombi 1991-1998 165 hk".

On the leftmost menu, scroll down and choose "Koppling".

Then the list of parts available will appear.

A little dictionary to use on that page:

Tryckplatta = Pressure plate
Lamell = Friction disc / clutch disc
Organisk = Organic
Sinterbel?gg = Sintered friction pads
Med fj?derpaket = With sprung hub

If there is anything else you want to know, just ask.

Not to add to more confusion, but I am pretty sure you can put a 240mm clutch on the whiteblock flywheels- the 850R clutch is 240mm which is what I have on my 850 flat flywheel + m90.
Yes, but most flywheels for the whiteblocks are dual-mass unfortunately.

And yes, some 850's have a regular flywheel. The 707 plate with fit that. If you have one of those flywheels, then that is very good.

But here we are mainly talking about the redblocks I guess, so the only flywheel that the 240mm plate would fit on is the dual-mass version. I would not try to put more than 300-350NM through that because of self-preservation instincts.

Did you have the 3rd synchro stop ring welded per instructions in this thread? I am getting ready to have mine done.

I just bought the car a few weeks ago, so I doubt the last owner had it done.
My big gripe about the tranny was always that third gear was a bit sloppy.

What is it with US dealers...?

First they can't, or are unwilling to get the LSO2 sensor I reviewed a while back. And the numbers in the US does not correspond to the Bosch numbers in the EU...

Now the dealer doesn't want to get a pressure plate from a big company like Sachs?

Go here: http://butiken.enem.se/katalog.asp

At the bottom of the page, to the right, there is a button that says "Pris inkl. moms". Press that so it says "Pris exkl. moms".

Under "Bilm?rke / modell" at the top, press the drop-down menu to choose car make (Volvo in this case). The drop-down menu under that is where you choose the model. Choose "940 Bensin Turbo 2.3 Sedan, Kombi 1991-1998 165 hk".

On the leftmost menu, scroll down and choose "Koppling".

Then the list of parts available will appear.

A little dictionary to use on that page:

Tryckplatta = Pressure plate
Lamell = Friction disc / clutch disc
Organisk = Organic
Sinterbel?gg = Sintered friction pads
Med fj?derpaket = With sprung hub

If there is anything else you want to know, just ask.

Thanks, Fredrik. However, it appears I will be looking at more than $400 shipped for that 'Tryckplatta'. I will probably go for the option 1 pressure plate since this is just my DD and not going to be modified much or beat on much.

Thanks, Fredrik. However, it appears I will be looking at more than $400 shipped for that 'Tryckplatta'. I will probably go for the option 1 pressure plate since this is just my DD and not going to be modified much or beat on much.

the sachs race engineering pressure plate is pretty hard to operate, i wouldn't want such a plate in my DD without changed leverage and/or different (non plastic) clutch pedal.

the sachs race engineering pressure plate is pretty hard to operate, i wouldn't want such a plate in my DD without changed leverage and/or different (non plastic) clutch pedal.
Hehe... yeah, you tried to push my pedal so you should know. It was pretty hard. But you get use to it. It is hard, but in a linear way. It is not like the feel you get from a cable operated clutch that has a dry wire (like many people think a hard pressure plate feels like).

But yes, I have to admit that it is pretty hard to drive it in city traffic when you have to use the clutch a lot all the time.

Hehe... yeah, you tried to push my pedal so you should know. It was pretty hard. But you get use to it. It is hard, but in a linear way. It is not like the feel you get from a cable operated clutch that has a dry wire (like many people think a hard pressure plate feels like).

But yes, I have to admit that it is pretty hard to drive it in city traffic when you have to use the clutch a lot all the time.

yeah, it is a good clutch, feel wise, but requires some force.

Back