• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Non abs to abs hub conversions

the65dartguy1

I'm in the process of changing up a set of front suspension uprights on an 87 745 from original non abs to abs. This is due to the fact that the original parts were corroded beyond use and abs parts were all I could find.
My question is, can I use the existing brakes ( bendix dual feed calipers) with just finding an appropriate rotor? Will they fit?
Obviously I can't use a single feed caliper as would go with the ABS setup as I'd have one extra brake line!
The caliper mounting brackets do swap from one to the other. That's all I have been able to ascertain so far with what I have in front of me.
Any help/advice greatly appreciated

The rotor/brakes should fit fine.

You could also swap to a single feed caliper and block off the appropriate lines. I did this on one of my cars after going through too many terrible rebuilt dual piston calipers.

Ok. So if I found the same sized rotor as original (but ABS) it would fit and work ? That would be excellent and my first choice.
If necessary I'll do the single feel conversion but I'm trying to keep costs down ( not my car).

YEah the 740's if you have regular old type of wheel bearings those are different then the later sealed bearings they have a different spindle. If the bearings the same you can swap rotors and brake calipers otherwise you gotta upgrade to later big brake or jumbo spindles or the whole strut assembly, it's one piece.. They went to big brakes with sealed 100ft pounds torque the bearing on about 88 or so. Same spindle as Jumbos which came about 91.

Back