• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Water Pump Leak/ what's this hole for??

82GLT

So I recently fixed a coolant leak coming from the right of my water pump, was missing a bolt. and now its leaking out of this hole on the bottom side of the pump? it was Mfg. into the pump so it belongs but why is it leaking and whats it for?

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/0gM3d

So I recently fixed a coolant leak coming from the right of my water pump, was missing a bolt. and now its leaking out of this hole on the bottom side of the pump? it was Mfg. into the pump so it belongs but why is it leaking and whats it for?

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/0gM3d

I believe that's the "weep hole"... designed to leak when the pump starts to fail.

Posted via Mobile Device

oh god don't say that :cries: first the fuel pump now this :rofl::-(

:wtf:
Water pumps are far more simple and less expensive to replace than either fuel pump on these cars. Might as well do a complete coolant flush before you do with a new thermostat and hoses. A Gates WP on RockAuto is $20. All said and done with new coolant, you could do it all for around $60. If you feel like making a scenic drive down to the Valley, I can help you do it all.

Do NOT put a cheap auto parts store one on there. My oreilly $35 lifetime warranty pumps failed three times in a row, quickly. My Hepu is going strong. Be prepared for a rusty coolant pipe which may have to be replaced.

Water pumps are far more simple and less expensive to replace than either fuel pump on these cars. Might as well do a complete coolant flush before you do with a new thermostat and hoses. A Gates WP on RockAuto is $20. All said and done with new coolant, you could do it all for around $60. If you feel like making a scenic drive down to the Valley, I can help you do it all.

BS, a main fuel pump takes like 20 minutes and you don?t have to drain all the coolant. Lol

I know its fairly easy, I already have the car mostly apart to do it since I had an oil leak to fix coming from the oil cooler feeds off the filter base plate

HEPU pump and Volvo seals. Just do it and be done.

+1 In spite of the extra cost, I used a made in the U.K. Volvo pump on my '88 244. In a year the hub separated from the shaft. On went a Hepu with Volvo gaskets. Three years later all is well.

Back