home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
JCol91
Macaracachimba

Default It's red, it's turbo, it's a wagon.

Hey all, I've been mostly lurking the forums since I joined about 8 years ago. Few volvos later here I am. This wagon was my dad's project (vcolper in the forums), at some point it was a pretty reliable daily driver, it was originally auto with an AW71 and had the turbo removed . He pulled the engine out, swapped an m47, and got the turbo goodies back. Long story short, he moved out of the country and the wagon has been sitting for the most part for the last 2.5 years. My plans in the upcoming months is having it back on the road reliably come winter time.

It is a RED TURBO WAGON so it has potential by nature. Please do comment any suggestions and tips as to where to begin, things to look out for, etc. I've had my set of volvos but mainly just applied basic maintenance and a transmission on swap on my 944. That been said, here is how it looks as of August 16th, 2018.

IMG_6029 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6046 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6048 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6049 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6053 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6057 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6065 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6067 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6071 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6072 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6075 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6076 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6077 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6078 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6083 by Javier Colon, on Flickr

IMG_6084 by Javier Colon, on Flickr
Old 08-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
S70T5fivespeed
Board Member

Nice interior!

Good luck on the project
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
JCol91
Macaracachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70T5fivespeed View Post
Nice interior!

Good luck on the project
Thanks! The seats came from a 960 if I recall correctly. The front were upholstered, the back were pretty well preserved.
JCol91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
nel621
Board Member

Good luck. My friend has the same car.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
JCol91
Macaracachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
Good luck. My friend has the same car.
Thanks!! I'm digging your friend's setup, I've got the hitch for mine. Just need something to pull
Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
nel621
Board Member

Yeah, we drove to Ga. from NYC to pick up that 81 coupe with 26k original miles. We left on a Friday night about midnight and were back NY on Sunday about 4 pm.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
JCol91
Macaracachimba

Default A tiny bit of progress

So progress on this has been super slow, but at least it runs.

To add a little to the story, as I said on the first post, this wagon was at some point a pretty good daily driver. My dad had moved out of the country and left me to take care of her. At that moment I had my 944(in sig) running strong and didn't care much for the wagon because it wasn't really mine and he was a bit jealous with it(He thought I would be driving it like a madman). As time passed I only put the key on the wagon to warm it up every now and then. And slowly I lost interest in both mainly because I live about 2 hours away from my hometown where we had a trailer home and the garage with tools and comfortable working space. I didn't really look up to working on any of them on the gravel parking in my apartment complex.

The 944 broke down which led me to use the wagon on the daily but by then it had started to deteriorate. The starter was giving problems A/C was out along with a few more bugs. I then bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee to use as a daily driver which made me forget about the Volvos even more. About a year after that, hurricane Maria ripped the island and flipped the trailer home sideways. Basically this has made it very difficult for me to get anything done in the last year since I don't have a place to crash and get at least two full days of work on weekends for the shop and vehicles.

Excuses aside, I'm feeling motivated to bring the wagon back to its glory little by little. To do so my plan is to drive it to my current house and continue debugging it. First up I replaced the e-fan relay which had burnt out somehow. Replaced it to make sure it stays at operating temperature when I decide to make the drive.

A little bit of soldering and the new relay is in.

Question: Is this the factory e-fan relay location? I feel it interferes a bit with the IC exit hose

Put a new battery and I replaced a rubber fuel line that was all cracked and leaky and turned the key to warm her up and test the e-fan relay. Relay is working good, turning the fan when A/C switch is activated. A/C seems to need a recharge.

I cleaned the engine bay grease a bit and replaced the alternator belt that was also cracked and missing a few teeth. Water pump and AC belts looked good, I bought spares to change them in the future.

Next up I’ll replace fuel filter, flush coolant and swap lower chassis brace from the 944. Brakes need to be tested thoroughly to make sure I can stop when driving recklessly.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
BR1CKHOUS3
740s are Volvos too

I like it! All I can say from owning a similar car is: maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!
Only two ways to find out...18 bolts or 18psi
BR1CKHOUS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
JCol91
Macaracachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1CKHOUS3 View Post
I like it! All I can say from owning a similar car is: maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!
Thanks man! I've been following your thread for a while now looking for inspo and details to keep in mind. I have no doubt about the required maintenance.