• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear wheel spacers

Would I need to cut the lip with 25mm on cut springs? 2 front 1.5 rear coils cut. With Virgos as well, probably getting 195/60r15 or 205/55r15 tires.

Volvo recommended trimming the rear fender lip with the 20mm spacer kit they used to sell.

240WheelSpacerFenderTrimInstructions.jpg

Wut? Snow chains? Buy a winter car if ya gotta worry about that crap. Maybe I missed the point? I hate driving hotrod turbo RWD Volvos in snow so I bought a V50 AWD T5. I'll try to find the other sites tomorrow, you have to measure a lot of ****. The only thing I had to cut was the rear fender wells on 245/40-17s, 38mm offest on 32mm spacers

You totally missed what I said, go back and read it again, then go soak your head in a big pitcher of kool-aid for good measure.

My head is too big to fit in a pitcher...I'll read it tomorrow with a lot less brandy in my system and apologize for a stupid post probably :-P

First off...I fully expect to be banned from the performance & modifications forum after this but this afternoon I took the spacers off and put them in my storage cabinet.

Earlier, I drove the car 30 miles and although it had a distinct rear end stability that I last experienced in a Porsche 911 SC it felt very wrong for this car. Felt like the rear wheels were cantilevered and remote. When I bolted the rear wheels directly back onto the hubs and drove it the car felt like the Volvo 240 that I know and love. I purchased my first 144 in 1974 so I'm also used to the rear wheel look on these cars.

I recently owned a BMW E21 with wider wheels but the wheel arches supported the width and look. The 240 does not. (IMHO) The only way I could approach this would be with staggered wheels and tires that would put more rubber in the back. (but of course I won't)

Performance?

Might be ok for a drifter where going sideways is the thing, but mostly 'getting rid of the sunk' is a cosmetic thing for poseurs.

Note:

140's have a square track @ 1350mm / 53.1" and don't use rear bars.

Last edited:
Back