• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Portable tire air compressor

dalek

Benchracer Tribe
I thought there was a discussion about that here but I could not find it: can anyone recommend a decent tire air compressor to have in the trunk? I remember that a while ago they were loud and wimpy, requiring a long time to air a tire while it was being patched (personal experience here), but I thought the new generation including those which had their own batteries instead of relying on cigarette lighters were much better.

Anyone?

I was actually thinking about getting a portable tire air compressor too. They're just a bit too expensive for what I'd like to pay for one. Do these things ever go on sales somewhere?

Probably about 5 years ago I purchased a Slime-brand tire-repair kit (for my BMW since I've ditched the runflats and need to carry something that gives the illusion of being able to handle a flat tire). It came with a rather good 12V inflator. I use that thing all of the time and it seems powerful enough and has held up ok over the years. I'd recommend it.

It now seems that Slime sells the same compressor kit as their part number 50063. They say it's for trucks now. Whatever. It works, and looks more robust than the one that they sell in the kit for "cars".

Available on Amazon, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-Portable-Mini-Air-Compressor-Car-Tire-Inflator-Compact-Pump-Tool-Only/292691206207?hash=item4425c1603f:g:c8MAAOSwuvVbfD4O:rk:4:pf:0

I bought this one a few months ago. Milwaukee's 12 and 18v tool line is extensive, priced well and is great quality. If you haven't gotten into them I highly recommend it, I have a bunch.

This one is really convenient, you twist on the hose coupling to the valve stem, set the psi you want, hit the fill button and it will stop once it reaches that pre-set psi.

I won an Arb Twin Air in a Yotatech forum giveaway about a year ago. It's more than I would have paid for an onboard compressor, but it does quick work on airing my 33" tires back up after wheeling. I did a quickie install, putting it in the cargo cubby in the back, with a quick release poking through the cover.

My wife has a ViAir system on her 4Runner - a single compressor, but she has hers plumbed into the car, with a 2 gallon air tank underneath the car and an external quick release fitting on the rear bumper. So she gets about 1 tire worth of airing up from the tank (if she turns it on before hand and it's up to 150 psi), plus she'd be able to run air tools and reseat tires better than I can. Until I get slightly less lazy and plumb mine in and add a tank as well.

Back