• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

If you are having cams reground. Can't you have the 8v cams reground for the 16v engine? They are the same cam castings for both. Alternatively, maybe IPD would sell you an unground billet?

If you are having cams reground. Can't you have the 8v cams reground for the 16v engine? They are the same cam castings for both. Alternatively, maybe IPD would sell you an unground billet?

Can't regrind 8v cams to 16v pattern. The lobes are at different angles relative to each other. You could weld a bunch of material, but in the end the process becomes very expensive.

On the billet cams, potentially, but it really depends on whether the final machining happens at the vendor facilities or not, and how willing they are to stray from a standard work order.

Oh well it was a good thought anyway. I will go look in the barn. I have a 16v head and I think the cams are there with it. What marking am I looking for so I know it's the exhaust?

Last edited:
OK I will know in a couple of days.

Thanks!

KL racing has some 16V turbo cams. I picked some up really cheap on some sale they had. I obviously haven't run them yet....

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-16v-turbo-kamaxel-klr-t2-16.html

Any idea how you broke the cam? During installation?

Jordan

Would have been useful to discover it before Black Friday. I'll check whether Petra would still honor the discount.

I think it broke from fatigue. The distributor drive slot is not radiused at all so I can imagine that the metal fatigued at the stress points over the last 30 years.

Thanks!

Would have been useful to discover it before Black Friday. I'll check whether Petra would still honor the discount.

I think it broke from fatigue. The distributor drive slot is not radiused at all so I can imagine that the metal fatigued at the stress points over the last 30 years.

I'm not sure if it was a Black Friday sale. I bought them probably a year ago now. I'm not exactly sure.

Maybe they did have a sale they would honor though, that would be nice. They were a decent price landed.

Jordan

Welp, got it running. For 3 seconds. Then it broke again. Gonna need another cam gear at some point.

I'm not sure if it was a Black Friday sale. I bought them probably a year ago now. I'm not exactly sure.

Maybe they did have a sale they would honor though, that would be nice. They were a decent price landed.

Jordan

Realistically I think I'm either going to buy some Josh cams or get something reground locally.

What size tires are you running? You?re car looks amazing. Very impressive build. I?m definitely in awe

Thanks! They are 225/45R17 Michelin PS4Ss. Not enough.

Well I?ll be damned. A million views! Thanks for tuning in, kind lurkers!

At least 7 were mine.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="11979677" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="1.76796" data-width="100%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/im-doing-my-part-serious-stare-gif-11979677">Im Doing My Part Serious GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/im+doing+my+part-gifs">Im Doing My Part GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Going to use the imgur gallery viewer on this post in an attempt to keep it tidy. Let me know whether it?s something you like or not.

It?s been an eventful few months since my last update on this thing. Long story short, it runs now. I?d venture to say it almost runs well and trouble-free. There has, however, been a lot of **** eating between then and now.

After breaking the intake cam, I swapped in a set of stock cams. The stock intake cam broke too?and took a brand new Yoshifab cam gear with it. Odd failure, seems like it skipped the belt and crashed a valve, but somehow there was no damage to be found to the head or pistons?just light witness marks on a couple intake valves. Lucky break in an unlucky situation, and another ?huh, that never happens to anyone else? moment. I?ll take it, I guess?

My current working theory is that the cam carrier overheated back in 2019 when I first test fired the engine, prior to filling it with coolant. There is significant warpage front-to back. I could not turn the cam over by hand with the caps torqued down. Out of patience, I bought a used core from Marc (itb-volvo), which included a good cam carrier and a pair of cams. Lovely.

I also had a boat head sitting around. Ultimately decided not to use that or the used car head. Boat head featured some slightly pitted exhaust valve stems and looked different. So in the end, the executive decision was to mix and match rally head with the new cam carrier and stock cams.

Not pictured is the lifter situation. Pictured is an A/B compression test. The first with reground 276 degree cams, the second with stockers. Notice a difference? Before assembly I noticed that 12 of the lifters were collapsed and stuck bottomed out. None were dirty. My suspicion was that the extra lift, plus lash caps did them in. Not sure how exactly that messed up compression as much as it did, but I?m glad the mystery is mostly solved. Nice to have even compression along with even leakdown. With the billet BB turbo, this has resulted in lots more low end torque, which isn?t too bad. It still spins to 6500. That?s how it will stay for now. It?s responsive. It revs out okay. If any of you miscreants wants the cams, let me know; I?ll be sending them off to be repaired once I get enough free time.

There is really only one big issue left, and that is with smoke. The revised PCV arrangement no longer causes the intake manifold to fill with oil. That mentioned, There is some smoke coming out of the tailpipe after high load, high speed pulls. Either the turbo oil control ring is bad or my drain needs to be revised. It clears up after a few minutes of driving it easy.

Lastly, I revised the battery terminals. The mil spec stuff looks silly on the tiny battery, but makes power routing a lot easier. I also put a new amplifier fuse in place and added some PET sleeving to the power wire.

Lastly, it appears that my garage time will be greatly reduced over the next few months. Hi Micah, welcome to the family!

Last edited:
I like the imgur layout. It cleans up the thread and I like scrolling through the pictures side to side.

That cam failure. Could something (small piece of metal or dirt) got pinched between the gear and the cam, and when you tightened the gear down, it just popped the edge off the cam? That is sort of what it looks like to me.

Either way, glad you're back up and running!

Also, most importantly, CONGRATS to Micah!

Last edited:
Wait, did you buy a set of Autostrada Modenas? That’s my dream wheel

Edit: I like embedded pics because it puts the image next to the context and makes for more to scroll through and read but either way works &#55357;&#56397;

Last edited:
Back