• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

the heebspeed 940

That's a cool video, two wagons with two different recipes. I can respect this! What did yours do on the dyno Kenny? I saw videos of you rolling coal out the back with flames, surely you tuned yours up for the track a little? Either way, yall bois doing it to it. Wish yall would come down for t2k, Frank Yee will be lit and his crew, his wife even has a race car shes bringing. Not that im doing anything other than drooling the whole time, my car is in the Middle of 6 speed conversion, more like a third of the way really... Anyway, congrats to ya, nothing broke that day?!! Always a win in my book. :p

I had and have a number of small issues to sort out on the green car. chief among them is boost control, followed closely by ignition "wear".

I think I did actually tear something up, the locker has been acting a bit more funny lately.

Got the plugs back out last night, all things considered, they looked pretty good except for the second cylinder on the driver's side (#4 I think?), and it just looks like perhaps that injector is moving a bit more, or that hole is sucking a little less air (darker tan than the other 7. pics in a bit, haven't posted em yet)

as suspected though, the plug wire on #1 is smoked, which makes sense. I thought I had a sporadic skip developing, usually that's a sign of the ol arcy arc. Upon inspection, the wire was cracked in a couple places, so we'll be re-designing that guy, and probably re-locating the plug wires a little better this time with some 90 degree terminals coming off the plugs.
May go ahead and replace the driver's side wires as well, but they looked pretty good.

so, found this dude whilst replacing plugs. had to order some parts (well, actually, turns out I really didn't, I had spares. but hey I'm fuggin SET now for future repairs), made a new wire, routed it differently (as well as put a 90 degree boot on the plug end), and after some anti-sag zip ties are installed, should be good to go for a while.
165103282.jpg

where it's split there it was basically leaning up against the downpipe. there wasn't really a good way to run it even after bending up the boot a bit.

so, tomorrow, we dyno once again, with eddy brakes for testings.

so, bad plug wire (and no boost control) makes it hard to tune and make good numbers...

165110142.jpg

the graph
original.jpg

cutout open, and air filter removed. I'm going to put the filter back and make a pull, then close the cutout and make a pull just to see what the hit is

this is the snapshot of the pull in log viewer

original.jpg

now that the afrs are even, I might also add a little bit back. also, we're pretty much at the limit of the 80lb injectors.

aight, so like I said in the showroom thread, 787whp, and a trans issue that is related to 3rd slipping a little. That, coupled with a significant leak, and some other lesser issues more easily addressed with guts out, will lead to the trans/engine taking a break from residency before much longer.

Currently formulating a game plan, and waiting to hear back from Jake @ jake's performance regarding probable causes and things to look for.

May also use the opportunity to swap out the front end stuff that got banged up and beaten down.

not much to report, replaced LPS to see if it addresses the 3rd gear issue. if not, it'll get gone thru when it comes out in the moderately near future. will see tomorrow.

downpipe is loose (or maybe broken, but it wasn't that loud), other than that, nothing to report. it's been towin' and haulin' like a champ.

a little over a year later, trans still slips at low rpms. occasional lifter tick on startup. Haven't touched the tune in a while, the drive to work this morning indicated a lean condition at cruise that is likely the result of not running e85 anymore (no point with the boost turned down).

Had to jump it off, didn't realize it'd been THAT long since I drove it, but other than that and needing a cleanup, it's still truckin' along. Whenever I get mark's 740 sorted out, I'll bring it into the shop, drop the engine and trans, make some adjustments to things for additional exhaust clearance, replace the lifters (And generally just check **** out), and go thru the trans again. probably going to replace the pump this time, and double check all the other components for appropriate functionality. Or maybe I'll drain, clean, and ship it to someone. Oh and re-stall the converter to something more fun.

no complaints though, aside from me needing to spend more time on and with it. if I can get the a/c squared away I'll probably drive it more, it's not at all uncomfortable.

after a lazy spring/summer of occasional home depot duty (and being replaced by the ol f150) and being parked by the shop, I went out to move it this weekend and get it cleaned up and ready for it's repair session that will start shortly after the gold car is off the lift and back in action.

during it's break from duty it turns out some rodent made a nest under the hood (which is not insulated, so this may not have been the best idea), and before I tossed that out in the yard I briefly had horrors of chewed wiring and hoses running through my head. this turned out not to be the case though, nothing was chewed, and it seems the total length of time said rodent had spent under there was actually somewhat limited. Jumped the car off (of course), and discovered the rubber cracked inside one of the fuel lines going to the fuel pressure regulator. Wonderful. Spent entirely too long making a new line (using better AN stuff this time), but fixed the issue, aired the tires up, and drove it around the neighborhood. trans hasn't fixed itself, everything else seems no worse for the wear. cleanup and repairs to commence soon.

it gets used. it just doesn't get raced whilst slipping. It was only parked in the weeds since like july, I used it to go get plywood back in late june. It's use has dropped a lot though since my parents foisted off their old f150 on me, now I can go haul stuff with that.

it's gonna get sorted this winter and used more often, it's too fun to leave on the sidelines, I just couldn't justify spending a ton of time on my **** while I had other folks' stuff that needed attention

aight, she's up in the shop but not disassembled yet (gotta buddy coming by that needs to use the lift, I've either got to yank the drivetrain and put the steering back in really fast, or just hold off for a day or so.. easier to hold off for a day).

Bare minimum, it's gonna need:
lifters (which means headgaskets as well, and I may replace the cam with the newer stage 2 turbo cam. I may not, who knows)
trans refresher with a new pump, and hopefully just new clutches.
converter restall (BIG TIME NEED)

reckon I'll look at the rear end while I'm 'in there', thinking about keeping the volvo stuff and just upgrading axles and diff, and replacing the trailing arms and such with some stuff that's a bit better suited to the abuse (3 link, adjustable trailing arms, and probably a coilover conversion at the back). I don't have to worry as much about towing duty now that I've got the f150, but I'm also not completely sold on a full drag race conversion since I've still got the race car and have no plans to get rid of it.

got started today, drained fluids. Oil was about due, transmission fluid looked and smelled surprisingly good considering how badly it's slipping. coolant looked alright. Got the exhaust off, turbo is off, crossover pipe is loose but not removed. probably won't pick it back up til monday, but this coming week is going to be pretty busy, it could be all the way til next weekend before any further progress is made.

170182759.jpg

big girl in a small dress..

170182760.jpg

may get a wild hair and swap the turbo onto the gold car, see how it behaves.

Back