• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Right side steering pump question

VolvoLatAm

Have a 82 244 with a b23a.
I already have the alternator and ac compressor support bracket mod with the alternator (up high) and new sanden compressor (down low) moved to the left side.

I want to find a hydraulic pump that has an external reservoir tank for atf for the right side. I have a zf type 3 cam steering rack.

Which pump do I need or what is interchangeable here...I just need it to mount correctly with the holes I have on the right side and line up with my belt setup...can get all new hoses etc for the rack.

For clarity's sake...I have nothing besides my oil filter on the right side...no turbos etc or anything in the way

Last edited:
If you just want a regular power steering pump, I would post in Wanted for a later 240 pump and res. Later models used the same pump but with a remote reservoir instead. You will probably need custom lines made up at a local hydraulics shop.

Remans are available on the usual sites too but you will have to eat the core charge and they don't come with the reservoir.

I am unsure about your belt setup though.. I think stock the AC pulley drives the PS pump via a second belt. So you might need to reroute.

This may help with part numbers. I believe the 740 routed the hoses under the engine to the reservoir on the LEFT. You want it on the right. As mentioned, you will need to have custom hoses made to where you plan to put your reservoir. I would take a set of stock 240 hoses to a couple hydraulic hose shops so they can see them and ask what they can do. They might also be able to use the stock ends and add those to custom pipes. I do know that some people on TB have welded the stock rack banjo ends onto custom pipes. You might ask some people here who have done non-red block conversions. The high pressure hose needs to be made well, since that line can see 800 psi.
Dave

Attachments

• 740-Parts-Catalog-1991-750.jpg
    740-Parts-Catalog-1991-750.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 740-Parts-Catalog-1991-751.jpg
    740-Parts-Catalog-1991-751.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 18
Back