• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M46 and flex disk --Special Flange?

dandeluca

Two steps forward and one step back. I am about to try to wrestle the m46 into place on my auto to manual swap and suddenly I realize I have no idea how I can get my driveshaft to mate up with the transmission. The driveshaft I have features this rubber flex disk.

fT2o5iRl.jpg

I have a small and large flange for the m46 but I am realizing that there must be some sort of special flange that goes on the transmission and connects to the flex disk.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there any chance of finding such a thing?

Thanks

But...
the 240s with M46 never used the Guibo flex disk. That was only the 240s with M47.

I'm guessing the front drive shaft section you have there is from a 240 with M47.

Given the price of the "devil's foot flange" and the fact that you'd need the guide pin, it just seems to make more sense to use a M46 front driveshaft.

I thought the same thing but the parts catalog shows there were 240's with M46 that used a giubo although they weren't common.

I agree that a standard drive shaft would be easier to find.

I'm betting that is something that made it into the 240 parts catalog, even though it's probably a 700 series OD unit. 61a says Laycock marked 119038, but when you go up to the first part of the overdrive catalog section, there's no 119038 overdrive listed. There is a 109038 part number, but I don't think it's the same unit. Who knows...

Maybe it was a European 260 series item.

Hello Dan,

I don't know if your swap includes the Laycock de Normanville Overdrive or not. If it does, the driveshaft will need to be shortened and balanced. Bear in mind that not every driveshaft shop can modify / balance a two piece driveshaft.

I swapped an M46 w/overdrive into my '94 940. All the bits came from a 740. The driveshaft came with a Guibo which requires a matching 3 bolt flange on the gearbox output shaft. The picture provided by 'hiperfauto' sits against the gearbox flange and acts as a pilot for the bushing in the end of the driveshaft (item #2 in the URL below). This ensures the driveshaft flange is exactly in centre with the gearbox flange. The only item missing from the URL below is the gearbox flange - see the second URL, item #13a.

NOTE; you can use a standard Hardy Spicer U-joint on the gearbox output if you use item #13 in the second URL.

https://parts.volvocars.ca/a/Volvo_.../_51529_5704614/Propeller-shaft/GR-53646.html

https://parts.volvocars.ca/a/Volvo_...ox--manual--manual-transmission/GR-65710.html

Hope it helps.

The picture provided by 'hiperfauto' sits against the gearbox flange and acts as a pilot for the bushing in the end of the driveshaft (item #2 in the URL below). This ensures the driveshaft flange is exactly in centre with the gearbox flange.

The bushing in the driveshaft (#3 in the diagram) on my 740 is totally crumbled to pieces. Does anyone have a part # for that and know where I can get a new one/replace with something close? Might be unobtainium.. but I'm hoping someone has an idea

https://parts.volvocars.ca/a/Volvo_.../_51529_5704614/Propeller-shaft/GR-53646.html

Back