• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing Window Tint Film

Hello All,

I have a weird one.

My 940 wagon came will all the windows tinted with a 20% (?), film. I believe the film is quite old (probably at least 20). I wanted to replace the film on three of the windows starting the the tailgate. The latter had some chunks missing along with some tears that I suspect happened when the PO moved large items.

I warmed up the film and managed to remove what I thought was the film in ~4 pieces. The window was sticky so a cleaned it up with lacquer thinner, followed by Simple Green (50/50 solution), and then Windex. Window looked spotless but still appeared dark. I noticed what I thought were two small pieces of film still stuck to the glass and used a razor blade to remove this. To my surprise the 'tint' started to come off the glass. I now have a small 'clear' section (15 x 25mm), where I used the razor blade.

Needless to say I can't use a razor to scrape the whole window as it may damage the defroster grid. I have tried every chemical I have (carb cleaner, MEK, brake cleaner), using a Q-Tip to test the film around the scrapped area - NOTHING worked.

It appears that the tint separated from the backing and remains adhered to the glass. I haven't tried Ammonia as yet, as this seems to be a recommended route (soak the film, wait an hour and then scrap off). But I'm concerned this may not work either plus I haven't figured out what to use as a scrapper.

So, any thoughts / words of wisdom on how to tackle this?

An old trick is an ammonia based cleaner, press a black garbage bag against it, and let it sit out in the sun to bake for hours. Should heat it enough to remove the adhesive. Worst case scenario maybe just talk to a tint shop about removal on that back glass since you are concerned about the defrost grid. Shouldn't cost that much and they usually make quick work of it.

You won't damage defroster grid. I've done this on a rear windshield recently. Just be careful with razor. I'd recommend removing all tint. It will never look right if you only do the 3 windows.

Hello Tiredoldtommy and Alan29,

Appreciate the feedback. I picked up some Ammonia, sprayed a small area and covered it with cling film. The weather at the moment is not conducive to putting the car in the sun. I'll check the window tomorrow (Fri). So, fingers crossed. :-)

Hello White855T,

Good point but two of the windows are on the drivers side and the third is the tailgate. I'm hoping that it will be less noticeable that way. If it doesn't it will force me to do the passenger side.

I'll update this thread as soon as I have some progress. :-)

Hello All,

And the winner is 'tiredoldtommy'!!! Steam is the answer.

I bought a small clothing steamer and was amazed at how well it worked. Took about 45 minutes to remove all the film off the tailgate window - it often came off in strips instead of big pieces but it is all off. Only one tiny strip of left over adhesive. The only time I needed an Xacto knife was to get a new 'strip' started. Didn't need to run the blade over any defroster wires. :-)

Hopefully the two drivers side windows will come off as easily and there isn't much of a 'darkness' difference with the third side window (it's a wagon).

BTW; I tried Ammonia / cling film on one section (left it over night to soak), but it did not have any impact on the film. The good news is I can use the Ammonia to thoroughly clean the glass followed by Windex and water / dish soap before applying the new film.

Forums like this one are an indispensable resource. :-)

Hope it helps.

The point of the ammonia/garbage bag combo is that the garbage bag is black and gets very hot in the sun + traps the vapor inside. It's similar to what you did in the end - wet heat. Cling film is transparent and doesn't get as hot. :nod:

Well done and thank you for letting us know what worked!

Hello All,

And the winner is 'tiredoldtommy'!!! Steam is the answer.

I bought a small clothing steamer and was amazed at how well it worked. Took about 45 minutes to remove all the film off the tailgate window - it often came off in strips instead of big pieces but it is all off. Only one tiny strip of left over adhesive. The only time I needed an Xacto knife was to get a new 'strip' started. Didn't need to run the blade over any defroster wires. :-)

Hopefully the two drivers side windows will come off as easily and there isn't much of a 'darkness' difference with the third side window (it's a wagon).

BTW; I tried Ammonia / cling film on one section (left it over night to soak), but it did not have any impact on the film. The good news is I can use the Ammonia to thoroughly clean the glass followed by Windex and water / dish soap before applying the new film.

Forums like this one are an indispensable resource. :-)

Hope it helps.

Yes, the clothing steamer is the correct answer. I had to remove all the tint on a Camaro I bought because it was too dark. I bought a cheap steamer at Wallmart and it made short work of removing all the film. The film just wrinkled up and darn near fell off the glass. It took about 45 minutes to do the door glass and hatch. PPG DX 330 took care of any residual glue residue very quickly.

Back